Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch problems

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Clutch problems

I have a 2014 Mirage with 75000 mostly city miles on it. My clutch is slipping. To me it seems like it is too soon for the clutch to be replaced. Called dealership and estimated cost is $1200! Any ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennisrshelby For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Eh..depending on how you drive it, 75,000 puts you about due for a clutch. Have you adjusted it? These have a manually-adjusted clutch.

If you have never done it, that should solve your problem. There is a how-to posted here somewhere.

Thread: HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star

Last edited by MetroMPG; 09-06-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: (added link to thread)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Eh..depending on how you drive it, 75,000 puts you about due for a clutch. Have you adjusted it? These have a manually-adjusted clutch.

If you have never done it, that should solve your problem. There is a how-to posted here somewhere.
    I have adjusted it out as far as it goes. Guess I gotta replace it. Funny though when I ask people about it they tell me to check the fluid in the master cylinder. I tell them it's a cable clutch and they laugh. Only the old cars have a cable clutch, mine should be hydraulic. Go figure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    if you are any sort of mechanically inclined do it yourself likely save $1000

it's a rather easy process on this car

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

anog (08-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    if you are any sort of mechanically inclined do it yourself likely save $1000

it's a rather easy process on this car
    Thanks for the info. I have done rear wheel drive cars a few times, never done a front wheel drive car but I am willing to try so I save all the money. I really like this car, especially the gas mileage!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennisrshelby View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have done rear wheel drive cars a few times, never done a front wheel drive car but I am willing to try so I save all the money. I really like this car, especially the gas mileage!?
    somewhere i listed all the tools necessary to remove the transmission. i only swapped transmissions, used my old clutch.

if you have any questions, i just had my trans out last week (or so) so feel free to ask, or even a quick guide. definite willing to help.

i would most certainly buy 2 new axle nuts, the old ones (and new) get ruined during installation. (peen over the threads instead of a cotter pin)

other than that, expect to make a day of it. took me 8hrs, but it could be done in 4-5 (complete) it's just a matter of knowing what your doing (which i didn't, obviously never did it on this car before)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    somewhere i listed all the tools necessary to remove the transmission.
    Yes you did. I found your post here. Next time, give us some photos lol.

i only swapped transmissions, used my old clutch.
    Any chance you have the other clutch? Dennisrshelby could use one.

i would most certainly buy 2 new axle nuts, the old ones (and new) get ruined during installation. (peen over the threads instead of a cotter pin)

other than that, expect to make a day of it. took me 8hrs, but it could be done in 4-5 (complete) it's just a matter of knowing what your doing (which i didn't, obviously never did it on this car before)
    Thanks for this valuable insight. Anything else to look at or plan for? I replaced a front wheel drive clutch once and it was a difficult job. I think I may have replaced one of the drive shafts for a loose CV joint.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yes you did. I found your post here. Next time, give us some photos lol.

Any chance you have the other clutch? Dennisrshelby could use one.

Thanks for this valuable insight. Anything else to look at or plan for? I replaced a front wheel drive clutch once and it was a difficult job. I think I may have replaced one of the drive shafts for a loose CV joint.
    I bought a used transmission only, so it only came with the throw out bearingg no pressure plate or disk.

Your right I should've took photos, I usually do, but doing it solo I just was concerned about getting it back in the car before darkk.

Nothing much to look out for except if you drop the (driver) side transmission mount, the engine will fall too the ground. Common sense goes a long wayy.

Basically;

Remove battery, tray and grounding bolts from transmission. (Small bundle of wires all unclips, 2 bolt grounds) there's a fuse or relay box that also unclips and can hang over

pop off the shifter linkage (note they CROSS OVER eachother) and push the pin holes too release the mounting tabs, and your linkage is done

Support car on stands, remove tires, axel nuts and lower strut boltss. Slip axels out off hub both sides. I would not remove them from the trans because you don't have too, you loose fluid, and junk could get in the trans etc plus they are very tight fit (use a pry bar against inner hub don't just pull)

Remove driver side inner fenderwell and front guard (the one notched for oil changess)

Remove lower torque mount and bracket. Engine can be rotated quite a bit watch your fingers now.

Take 3 bolts out for starter cover, remove starter. 2 bolts 2 wires

Support engine assembly. I used a wooden block on the pan and a jack.

Remove exhaust manifold shield.start removing all the lower bolts. Mostly easy, but There's 1 in back 3/4 up by manifold, and 3/4 way up by intake manifold, that are both kind of a pain but really not to bad

Remove upper bolts and prepare to support transmission.

Remove mount for transmission, lower entire engine etc down a bit and slide transmission over, and off.

Do clutch (don't know what's needed didn't do it)

Then reassemble!!!

I know it sounds like a lot... but it's not, when your actually wrenching. I wasted a lot of time with the brakes and figuring out how too remove the shifter cables.

in my opinion the mirage is an excellent candidate for learning on

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-20-2016),GrnBn (08-30-2016),Top_Fuel (09-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK got my clutch fixed but the guy who did it messed up shift linkage and he says there is no way to adjust shift cables. Going into 2ND, 4th and reverse it's like they aren't there. No cluck or pop but it's in gear. Then this morning couldn't put it in reverse. Anyone know how to adjust shift cables or us it the trans?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Reverse can be a little tricky for me, but if I let the car roll and inch or two, it goes right in. I find the transmission perfectly acceptable. There are other characteristics about the car that are less ideal. Steering and acceleration come to mind. And noise level at hwy speed. No car is perfect. Mirage, as delivered, is an acceptable, cheap to own car.