Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrecked 2015 Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wrecked 2015 Mirage

The day before yesterday, just ten months after buying my 2015 Mirage DE, someone wasn't paying attention and ran a red light. Their 2002 Toyota Camry contacted my rear passenger quarter at about 40MPH. The impact spun me out of control, over the curb/sidewalk and into a 3-foot high concrete wall - so there is impact damage on both the drivers side front-quarter as well as the rear passenger side.

All things considered, it held up awfully well for a tiny, light-weight car; much better than I would have expected. I'll find out if it is bent up enough to be totaled early this next week. I really like the little car, and if it is done for, I'm going to try to find another just like it. Otherwise, I'm going to go for a 2017.

The most important thing is that one was hurt in either car, and the sidewalk was clear. I've got a Kia Optima to drive around until the whole mess is sorted. I like my Mirage much more that boat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 42.1 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DWB For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-20-2016),inuvik (08-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Man, that stinks! And you just got it too. Never got any pictures posted in your garage, and now it's too late.

Not to sound morbid, but do you suppose you could post pictures of the damage? I am interested in seeing how these cars hold up in crashes.

Sorry for your luck, but glad to hear no one was seriously hurt.

Do you think you'll get a manual transmission this time?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Great that no one was hurt.
    These little cars seem to be keeping us safe in these fender benders so far.....
    Glad to hear you like it enough to want another.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Great that no one was hurt.
    These little cars seem to be keeping us safe in these fender benders so far.....
    Glad to hear you like it enough to want another.
    2nd that, get another (I did). Had a rented Kia also while waiting for the insurance settlement. Couldn't wait to return the Kia, lousy mpg and no fun to drive.
    Glad you are ok.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Glad to hear you are OK. Did any airbags deploy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about the crash, but yea, join the club! My experience was no fun at all. Did the other party in the crash deny responsibility?

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm really terrible about keeping up with forums, so yeah... no pictures of my ride while good. I don't think the angle was right for the deployment sensors, so no airbags. Had I been rammed amidships it would have been much worse. Had I been 2 feet farther along, it would have been a miss. Most of the force of impact was converted into angular momentum, spinning me out of the way.

The other driver handled herself very well… how one who runs a red light ought. She didn’t try to deflect responsibility. She was driving a 2002 Toyota Camry, more than half again the mass of my poor little Mirage. I've got photos of the rear on another person's phone that I need to remember to get, and will post them later. There is more obvious impact damage to the front, than the point of initial impact. The hood jammed and won't open, and the passenger side door no longer quite lines up, which leads me to suspect that the thing is a bit bent.

Name:  IMG_20160818_175353755.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  91.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160818_183917092_HDR.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  44.3 KB
    Last edited by DWB; 08-21-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: I'm a tech knucklehead and posted before I finished.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 42.1 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DWB For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-21-2016),MetroMPG (08-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hopefully it's not totaled. I don't know why people were telling me that I'd be driving a 'much better car' after getting insurance settlement. If you are granted a total loss check from the insurance company, it only pays you the value of the car at the time of the accident. So if one were going to buy another new Mirage, you'd be paying a couple grand out of pocket.

If they don't write this one off as a total loss, make sure that not only the exterior gets fixed, BUT ALSO the tire alignment gets checked out as well. Pretty easy to get glaze over that 'unseen' detail.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, the body looks to be in good shape for the impact you described. But as Charlie mentions, the hidden damage can tell another story. A friend recently ran over a large object with his Fiat 500 and although the body was unscathed, the insurance company totalled the car due to damage to the transmission and suspension. Were it my car, I'd prefer the total with replacement to a repair. And since our cars were so cheap to begin with, it doesn't take much for insurers to write it off as a total loss.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's a shame . Good to see no one is harmed . Hopefully all things go smooth .