Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Homelink Mirror

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Excellent write up! I've added it to the mods list.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (08-25-2016),Jhelinski (05-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I gotta do this! My BMW has Homelink (which I also added), and I love it. I always wished it was an option for the Mirage (like it is on the Versa).

I think these Gentex mirrors are pretty generic. It's the same mirror offered by different manufacturers. Soon as I am off warranty, this is a must. Thanks for putting this up!
    Funny thing is, you can get the G4 with home-link but not the regular mirage. 😞
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very nice . I'm going to the junk yard soon and will pick me up one. Or might try luck on eBay. For nice post!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Keep in mind that this mirror is offered with blue, green, and amber compass displays. I am going to shoot for an amber one to better match the other dash displays.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-26-2016),Top_Fuel (08-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I just bought a mirror on eBay for $40. It did not come with a harness connector or wiring. I made sure the mirror I was buying had a 10-pin connector in the back of the mirror housing like this:

Name:  back_of_mirror.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  101.7 KB

Apparently there's a connection variation on some of these mirrors. If the connection is on the back of the mirror housing (like the above photo), then it has one type of connector. If the connector is on the mirror bracket, it's another type of connector. So look at the pictures and read the auction description carefully if you're buying used stuff on eBay.

There may even be a variation on the windshield mount?!? I wasn't interested in messing with the piece that was already glued to the windshield, so I specifically bought a mirror that had been pulled from a late model Galant. At least one auction I read mentioned that the mount was some odd size. So again...be careful and don't hit buy-it-now on the first cheap mirror you come across.

There are cheap harness pigtails on ebay for under $10, but I wasn't sure how much wire I was going to need. I did NOT want to have to splice wires to get a used harness connector to work, so I ponied up a few more dollars and bought a new harness connector with wires long enough to reach all the way to the dash. Yeah, this might be overkill...but I will be pissed if I get into wiring this thing and have a problem because I wasn't willing to spend a few more dollars on a quality harness. Here's a picture and description of what I bought...

Name:  harness.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  95.7 KB

This is a brand new wiring harness kit that will work with the GNTX-453 autodim mirror with Homelink, and autodim compass mirrors with Homelink with the 10 pin plug in the back of the mirror housing (this will not work on Gentex mirrors that have the connector on the mirror bracket - for those see our eBay store). You'll receive a new wiring harness, zip ties, wire taps, basic wiring instructions & Homelink programming instructions. This is not just a short pigtail - rather, it's a full length harness that is long enough to reach to the bottom of the dash, and it also includes instructions and installation hardware. The picture is representative of the actual kit you will receive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So since just pulling straight up on mirror to remove might damage. I figured all you have to do is just gently pry on the plastic bezel both sides (left and right not up and down) using a plastic pry tool preferred then when it's released slide out of the way. Then to release the mirror from the windshield at bottom of the mirror base is a big square black tab. Just pry it gently away from windshield with thumb to release tab and lift up very easy.
    Last edited by Dmtgamepack; 08-28-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I went to Junk Yard yesterday what I learned about these mirrors is..
    1) best luck to find one is import section GM uses onstar and had no luck in Chrysler or Ford section.
    2) I could be wrong but basically all mirrors that mount to the windshield that I seen use the same windshield Mount/ button. So another words it doesn't have to come from a Mitsubishi.
    3)there are two types of this mirror both have compass but some have homelink some just have the compass.(Note this doesn't take in account different color of compass I'm not that picky)the on with homelink is harder to find at junkyard.
    4) the mirror with homelink and compass has 3 wires to hookup. 2 power wires and one ground.the two power wires one goes to homelink other goes to compass and mirror. Just remember the homelink needs constant power and compass/mirror needs the ignition/ switched power. It's super easy to bench test. Remember ground is black wire and other two are power just test each one at a time. Your looking for the wire that when hooked up the homelink buttons will work and light up it's led and that gets constant power. Other wire is ignition/switch power.
    5) when at the junkyard you want to look for 2004 and newer high end /luxury imports. I found my mirror from a 2004 Nissan Maxima. It's slightly different design from this post the homelink buttons are on front and has a external antenna board/pack the clips on to mirror Mount which just more or less acts like a bezel.
    Attachment 6926
    Name:  IMG_20160828_3827.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  55.9 KB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dmtgamepack For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-29-2016),inuvik (08-28-2016),Top_Fuel (08-28-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for the write-up! I just bought one (waiting to arrive) and didn't know where I would be pulling power from! Thank you so much!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I bought everything to do this mod 4 years ago (see post #15)...and then never did it!

I decided to go with this idea because I didn't feel like wiring it into the car. The only downside is that every 4 years I have to spend 10 seconds to replace the remote battery.

I used this button with one of these remotes I already had.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I saw that post even before I bought the mirage. I'd probably do the same except I have three garages.