Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Funny, Rude or Random Comments Made About Your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put about 100,000 miles on mine while driving Uber/Lyft. I got all sorts of comments, some good, some bad.

Usually if they had something bad to say about it, I'd just tell them that Uber is cheaping out on cars because their customers don't pay well. Most people have no idea U/L drivers use their own cars. lol.

It was a great excuse to get out of idiots trying to uber from Walmart with a 60" TV. No can do buddy. Too much luggage? sorry.

I did have the unfortunate experience of packing 3 FULL-SIZE adults in the back which resulted in some suspension damage. They couldn't breath. I couldn't control the laughter. Their skinny-er friend was in the front seat. All of the front seat.

Girls thought it was cute, good city car, liked the color (blue). Guys generally laughed at it, called it a clown car, asked how many squirrels under the hood, etc. Tourists generally didn't have any issues with it. However all like the fact I could get around town quickly and efficiently. We'd go up some pretty steep hills in San Francisco and I'd tell people to lean forward, or warn them if we don't make that green light one of you are going to have to get out and push.

Some people commented on how clean I kept it. "I just pick it up and shake it out after every ride" or "the interior is made by RubberMade so I swap it out once a month."

I put a personalized plate on it about half way through my U/L driving because of the most frequent comment. "SQUEZIN" which locals thought was in reference to the "Squeeze Inn" burger joint. Others thought it had some hidden sexual context. When I'd pull up on 3 or 4 people for their ride, I'd yell out "Squeeze In Ya'll" and would generally get a laugh out of it. Always a good intro and made for some good conversation.

I lost count of the number of people who posed for pictures with the car and the plate. I had several incidents where people were kneeling near the back for pictures and I didn't know they were there. Lucky I never backed over anybody.

Ultimately, the $6k I paid for the car was the best comeback. "Why don't you buy a real car" one guy said. "I'd much prefer to take your money in a paid-off car and embarrass you at the same time."

153k miles and still going, though retired from the people moving business.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NorCalPhil For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-30-2021),Fummins (06-24-2021),inuvik (06-30-2021),Mark (06-25-2021),MetroMPG (06-30-2021),Wil B (06-30-2021)

Post of the month right there^

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm currently ubering in Hawaii part time. I move back to the mainland soon. Hopefully Uber there is as close as busy as it is here. When doing 70 on the freeway on cruise, do you ever have to change down a gear for hills?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Redout - To answer your question: NO. I know you won't care to do it, but you could search and I asked the same question.

I have a Dodge Ram Cummins with a 6 speed (a 2000 model year), and it has been lightly modified. It makes in the upper 700's for torque. Even before it was modified it would NOT need to be down shifted for ANY hill when in 6th on the interstate. Not even with a heavy trailer. It is such an interstate pleasure to drive.

I didn't want to be driving a car with a peanut engine that couldn't even pull a hill. But at 70 mph the engine is turning about 3,550 rpm. Before I owned this car I would've thought that it was screaming and annoying at that rpm. But this little engine just hums, and it is very pleasant. Even at 4,000 rpm.

The torque max is at ~4,000 rpm. But at 3,550 rpm, the engine is able to make ~97.5% of it's maximum torque. That means that between 70 mph to 80 mph, this thing cruises with ease. And will still knock down great mpg numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With gas the highest its been in 7 years, I hear a lot of "bet that gets good mileage" or "what kind of MPG does it get".

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Name:  5f0ol8.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  70.0 KB
    '17 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L ES Plus 5MT
    '94 Ford Ranger 5.0 Turbo 3 Speed

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pimp_Daddy_Patty For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-01-2021),Fummins (06-30-2021),inuvik (06-30-2021),MetroMPG (06-30-2021),Wil B (06-30-2021)

The wife drove my Mirage for a week or so while her v6 Sorento sat in the garage with a smashed out sunroof. She called me one windy day on the highway complaining about how she was getting blown around lol. Then after a week or so couldn't believe that she was able to drive further than her suv and cost half as much to fill up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-30-2021)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    No funny remarks about a Mirage around here!
    In these parts a Mirage is a normal-sized car, some call it a family car. No wonder at fuel prices around the equivalent of US $10.- per gallon.

Below is what we call a small car, it being about 20cm (8ins) narrower than a Mirage. It is a Fiat 500 built maybe 1970.
    Imagine three in the rear! If a person were obese, they wouldn't fit inside no matter where, not even alone. The sun roof is not an emergency exit, but a seldom requested option.

Name:  Fiat_500.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  45.4 KB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_500

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_126

13. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I would need a shoe horn to get in, and a crowbar to get out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The wife drove my Mirage for a week or so while her v6 Sorento sat in the garage with a smashed out sunroof. She called me one windy day on the highway complaining about how she was getting blown around lol. Then after a week or so couldn't believe that she was able to drive further than her suv and cost half as much to fill up.
    When my friends complain about high gas prices ($3.49/gal USA), I typically give the nonchalant answer: "What do I care?" They laugh with me!

Most folks here driving around in 3,000 - 4,500 lb SUVs, 90+% of the time with 1 person inside.
    I don't get it....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wil B For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-06-2022),inuvik (06-30-2021)