Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Old school" tire mounting/balancing: Anyone here have experience?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    For future reference, here is what Tomrad and I are talking about...

One more thing I forgot to mention......for now I have one new 10/32 tread tire on the right rear, and one 5/32 on the left. Will this cause traction control (or anti skid) to turn on? Or whatever they call it. I wouldn't think so, since the temp spare is so small, I don't think this mismatch would be enough to cause an issue.
    Yeah, debating whether I'll replace the other tire(s) myself. I managed to bend the outer lip of the rim (but straightened it very close to original). Just hate to 'rough up' the rim like that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    One more thing I forgot to mention......for now I have one new 10/32 tread tire on the right rear, and one 5/32 on the left. Will this cause traction control (or anti skid) to turn on? Or whatever they call it. I wouldn't think so, since the temp spare is so small, I don't think this mismatch would be enough to cause an issue.
    Yeah, debating whether I'll replace the other tire(s) myself. I managed to bend the outer lip of the rim (but straightened it very close to original). Just hate to 'rough up' the rim like that.
    I think the bar that comes with the HF tire changer is the problem. I ordered the KenTool one for $50 off of Amazon, supposed to work better.
    I'll try one more time and post results, probably next week. Need a week to rest after that one tire job.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    One more thing I forgot to mention......for now I have one new 10/32 tread tire on the right rear, and one 5/32 on the left. Will this cause traction control (or anti skid) to turn on?
    I don't think so?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

you're right....

I don't think so?
    After a five mile test drive, all is well.
    I plan to replace the left rear next week when I have more time. The right tire was so lumpy, it was howling. Now the left is the only noisy one and it's not too bad.
    I ordered a Ken Tool tire bar off of Amazon, it's supposed to work better than the HF one.
    Yeah, I got real worried last night when the HF bar got stuck at the last little bit of stretch. The tire was almost on, bead was in drop center but I could no longer move the bar or remove it. Tire was all distorted looking and I thought I'd ruined it. Had to rock the bar to remove it. It bent the wheel lip slightly but I've straightened it, barely noticeable. Did you have that trouble wit the wheel lip? They seem to be easily bent.
    Thanks again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've used my HF tire changer on quite a few car and motorcycle tires over the years and have discovered its far easier just to lever the tires on with a couple tire spoons than to mess with any of the bars I have tried. LOTS of lube makes a big difference too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I've used my HF tire changer on quite a few car and motorcycle tires over the years and have discovered its far easier just to lever the tires on with a couple tire spoons than to mess with any of the bars I have tried. LOTS of lube makes a big difference too.
    This. And I meant to ask you, Tomrad, what kind of bead lube were you using?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This. And I meant to ask you, Tomrad, what kind of bead lube were you using?
    Ruglyde and Coates Tire Cream.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ruglyde and Coates Tire Cream.
    Can't argue with that!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    About to attempt another tire change (well, pretty soon anyway). Any advice or recommendation for tire spoons? I mainly see motorcycle tire spoons for sale, wonder if they would work? Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Out of the several different tire irons that I have I use a pair of Motion Pro 08-0007 16 inch long double compound curved tire irons for probably 99% of my tire changes. I bought them originally for motorcycle tires but they work perfectly well for car tires too, so far. Mine actually measure about 15 inch but I bought them a long time ago. Maybe they are a little longer now.