Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage engine - break in, how and if?

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

Mirage engine - break in, how and if?

I didn't see any thread on this controversial topic.

Did anyone did it?

(I'm trying to take it easy on mine for now..)

Most owner's manuals I've seen on the topic of simply recommend not driving at a constant speed for an extended period (vary your speed regularly if on the open road) or at high load for the first few thousand km.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Did you try and comply with these sort of driving?

I have only had one car that needed to be broken in, and I did try to be nice to it.

The car only has 30,000 km on it now though, so I can't yet tell you whether it worked or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    well it's more than the 110 km on mine...

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    I gave mine the hard way. As soon as i got the car i took it out on the open highway and let the throttle loose. It went thru all RPM ranges (min to max) with B gear (to load the engine and piston rings). I did about 20-30 kms then immediately changed the oil and filter.

I dunno if I did well or am killing the engine but my fuel consumption seems to indicate I'm doing the former. I'm getting 19 km/l avg. But that could be due to driving style more than anything else.

Now I got about 10,000 kms on it and it's going synthetic this weekend. =)

But this answers nothing. The only way you'll actually know is to crack open then block and unfortunately I do not have the expertise.

Anyway I broke in my mom's car the same way and now it's going for more than 100,000 kms with no issues so far.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I like the old saying-"slow and steady wins the race" So I just keep the RPM below 4,ooo through out the gears.
    I get good fuel eco and less wear and tear. [And no Speed camera photos.]
    That may sound boring for you rev heads-but I got the mirage to save my hard earnt cash.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.4 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Totally agree! I wouldn't mind pushing the car occasionally, but in general I want the fuel economy

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I agree with Polkiuj. I run in my rebuilt engines the hard way give the motor heaps let it all wear in nice and fast let it all stretch like rods and pistons out to there limits as this wears it all in nice. I have had great results doing it this way.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In order to properly break in a motor you have to be hard on it as early as possible in order to get the most ideal wear in conditions on the piston rings and other related components. After a couple hundred miles or so you can dial back down to a more economical driving style. Doesn't matter if your looking for power or fuel economy, as good compression effects both sides of things. Personal opinion backed by experience and proven cold hard facts.

Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning