Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adding the stop & go feature?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

adding the stop & go feature?

So if the U.S. cars won't come with this feature, how hard and expensive do you think it would be to add?

That's a really good question.

It would be worth doing some investigation: Talldino's car has it, and it would be interesting to know whether his car has the same starter as the non-stop'n'go cars.

Aside from that, plus perhaps a beefier battery and some switches to detect shifter position, it's just programming.

I personally wouldn't spend any money to add it to my own car. It's already equipped with "manual stop & go" (the ignition switch)!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hear you about the ign, but I find with my seating position I have to do a crunch in order to reach it. And I want to cruise not workout when I drive Seriously I wonder what componets a non equipped car is lacking? time will tell I suppose

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    The battery in my non AS&G Mirage is HUGE! Perhaps both the starter and the battery is the same across all models.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

On a similar topic, the European cars also have alternator-based regenerative braking and 'smart' alternator programming. Potentially another retrofit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    On a similar topic, the European cars also have alternator-based regenerative braking and 'smart' alternator programming. Potentially another retrofit.
    How does that work ?

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    How can I know if mine has the: high-efficiency alternator with regenerative braking?

I didn't have see remarks about this feature on the Israel
    Specs.

Can someone picture his/her alternator?

I think the 2 cars from the Netherlands may be the only ones for sure with this feature. Might want to send a message to talldino.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I happened to be driving a rental car last week, it was a Golf 1.4 tsi with bluetech". I don't know much about it, but discovered when I pushed in the clutch it made a bit of a vibration. I then realized that it was turning off when stopped, and the vibration was the re-starting. Very smooth, as it took me 30 min of driving to realize this was happening!

I would like this feature on a Mirage. Although, I would like to be able to disable it at will, as I can imagine certain conditions (winter driving in remote places, mechanical difficulties) where I wouldn't want to risk shutting down the engine once it was running. Can anyone comment on whether this feature can be disabled if needed?

*edited to add - By the way, that Golf was super-fun to drive, and also very efficient. It took "regular" gas, which where I was was called "natural 95", which I believe is 95 octane. So many interesting small cars in Europe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

I imagine it would be fairly easy to over-ride.

You could do it just by adjusting your driver behaviour: eg. some cars will only auto-stop when below a certain speed, in neutral and the clutch is released. So, leave it in gear with your foot on the clutch when stopped, and it'll keep running.

In that set-up, you could get around needing to keep your foot pressed down by adding a switch inline with the clutch switch. Flip the switch, and the car still thinks the clutch is depressed when it's actually not.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (08-01-2013)