Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battery Longevity

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I sort of checked battery prices after I asked the question, & I would have done exactly the same.

I've used Auto Zone @ times in the past, but their prices are quite high now.
    Their basic Duralast battery (group size 35) is $150.
    Their Gold Duralast is $170, & the Platinum is $200.

Those prices make the Walmart Everstart Value (approximately $55) & Everstart Plus (approximately $70) seem like a good value. Many of these batteries are made at the same factories with different stickers slapped on them.

Did the top clamp/J-hook bolts fit your new Everstart Group Size 35 battery?

Seems to be some where having issues with that, but you can buy longer J-hook bolts for a few bucks.
    Perfect fit! More than enough thread.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-27-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My battery is the original (2015) which is excellent considering the winter temps up here.
    I should think about replacing it this fall...
    My last battery was for my lawn tractor from Walmart so I think I'll start there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    My battery is the original (2015) which is excellent considering the winter temps up here.
    I should think about replacing it this fall...
    My last battery was for my lawn tractor from Walmart so I think I'll start there.
    Now's a good time to start watching prices on batteries before the Winter season jacks up prices at the parts stores.

It's a couple years' old now but here's a thread with various batteries that should work in our cars:
    Battery Size and Replacement

The Interstate battery at Costco is still a great bargain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

strawboss (06-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I live in Florida, and am the second owner of this 2019 mirage. Last night my OEM battery needed jumped to start after stopping to deliver some food. today I replaced it. However, I knew nothing about it being a “wet battery”, so when I replaced it the fluid was at “lower level”. Is it possible it just needed topped off?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Topping off a low fluid level brings the acidity back to normal. Too low level increases acidity and the lead-calcium alloy plates disintegrate in time.

If a battery needs a jump start, I would check if something electric were left on. Then I would give it a good long charge and try it out. Maybe the need for jump starting had a different cause than the battery. These Hitachi batteries, just as Yuasa brand are well known for their long lives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-14-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Topping off a low fluid level brings the acidity back to normal. Too low level increases acidity and the lead-calcium alloy plates disintegrate in time.

If a battery needs a jump start, I would check if something electric were left on. Then I would give it a good long charge and try it out. Maybe the need for jump starting had a different cause than the battery. These Hitachi batteries, just as Yuasa brand are well known for their long lives.
    Top off with distilled water only. Using real sulphuric acid is better but it's a hazardous chemical to work with. then charge using a smart charger at no more than 5A, 2A is better. If you have a charger that desulphates even better.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Top off with distilled water only. Using real sulphuric acid is better but it's a hazardous chemical to work with. then charge using a smart charger at no more than 5A, 2A is better. If you have a charger that desulphates even better.

The only time a sulfuric acid/water solution needs to be added, is when some of it gets lost, for example when the battery was turned upside down to empty it out. Distilled water is good, never tap water.

If the plus plates are sulfated, for example due to chronic under-charging or depletion lower than allowed, it helps to charge it at 15.4 - 16.0V (at room temperature) so that the battery fluid gasses like sparkling water. The gassing for at least 12 hours clears most deposits off. Before changing a weak battery, I charge it at 16V for half a day or overnight, chances are it might come back to life.

There is a good chapter worthwhile reading about lead-acid batteries in Wikipedia.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The only time a sulfuric acid/water solution needs to be added, is when some of it gets lost, for example when the battery was turned upside down to empty it out. Distilled water is good, never tap water.

If the plus plates are sulfated, for example due to chronic under-charging or depletion lower than allowed, it helps to charge it at 15.4 - 16.0V (at room temperature) so that the battery fluid gasses like sparkling water. The gassing for at least 12 hours clears most deposits off. Before changing a weak battery, I charge it at 16V for half a day or overnight, chances are it might come back to life.

There is a good chapter worthwhile reading about lead-acid batteries in Wikipedia.
    Do you use a constant voltage DC transformer to charge @ 16v? I have several great stable DC power supplies here and never dawned on me to use them to charge a car battery. I worry I would boil it dry if it had non removable top vents.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Do you use a constant voltage DC transformer to charge @ 16v? I have several great stable DC power supplies here and never dawned on me to use them to charge a car battery. I worry I would boil it dry if it had non removable top vents.
    Wally, years ago batteries were made with PbSb plates, nowadays with PbCa plates. These modern "with calcium" batteries need higher charging voltages, roughly one volt higher.
    Some modern battery chargers take this in account and charge with correct voltage, higher than years ago.
    If you want to clean "gas" the plus plates from phosphate with a constant voltage PSU, fully charge it with a regular charger first, then apply an external voltage of roughly 16V via a resistor to limit the current for protecting the PSU. The filament of a headlight bulb is resistor enough. Leave it on for 12-24 hours.
    If you want to read more on this topic, see Wikipedia:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starterbatterie
    That link is in German, unfortunately the English version of the same topic has very much less info.

I have been using this 12/24V 10A charger for a few years, and it has the correct voltage for todays batteries.
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/314139972892...Bk9SR-qstda-Yg
    Last edited by foama; 08-14-2023 at 07:00 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Wally, years ago batteries were made with PbSb plates, nowadays with PbCa plates. These modern "with calcium" batteries need higher charging voltages, roughly one volt higher.
    Some modern battery chargers take this in account and charge with correct voltage, higher than years ago.
    If you want to clean "gas" the plus plates from phosphate with a constant voltage PSU, fully charge it with a regular charger first, then apply an external voltage of roughly 16V via a resistor to limit the current for protecting the PSU. The filament of a headlight bulb is resistor enough. Leave it on for 12-24 hours.
    If you want to read more on this topic, see Wikipedia:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starterbatterie
    That link is in German, unfortunately the English version of the same topic has very much less info.

I have been using this 12/24V 10A charger for a few years, and it has the correct voltage for todays batteries.
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/314139972892...Bk9SR-qstda-Yg
    I think he was beyond anyone's good advice, because he replaced the battery. I feel the factory battery is good one. Mine is 6.5 years old & still doing great.