Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who manufactures the (F5MDB) manual transmission in the 1.2L Mirage? (Update: Aisin)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I keep thinking about this thread and wondering about that holy grail taller 5th gear set.

Yes, I know we can theoretically get a taller 5th from the Euro-spec Mirage/Space Star.

But imagine if it was as easy as popping the external cover off and swapping in a gearset from a wrecked Yaris that you could find at your local junkyard.
    Except for the bell housing, the transmission is also the same as in the Citroen C1, Peugout 107, Toyota Aygo. To change the fifth gear, you would need to take one apart. They do not have an exterior cover that allows easy changing fifth gear without taking the gearbox out, like most FIAT for example.
    As long as no bearings or shims are changed, it should be relativly easily possible if you stick to the FSM.
    BTW, AISIN belongs to Toyota.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-05-2021)

Citroen C1, Peugout 107, Toyota Aygo.
    Foiled again!

Ain't none of those in my local junkyard. (They weren't sold in North America.)

I wonder what's used in the Chevy Spark. I searched around last night, and couldn't find an answer. We know the Spark automatic is a JATCO CVT-7. Wouldn't it be funny if the manual was also shared?

2016+ Chevrolet Spark 5-spd manual transmission gear ratios:
    Fifth: 0.76
    Final drive: 3.90

2014+ Mirage ratios (North America)
    5th - 0.804
    Final drive - 4.055

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    BTW, AISIN belongs to Toyota.
    You'd think it would shift better in cold weather since it's a Toyota 5 speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Built down to a price hahaha. They save the best stuff for themselves.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Foiled again!

Ain't none of those in my local junkyard. (They weren't sold in North America.)
    They are sold in Europe in vast numbers.
    The same sort of AISAN manual transmission should be seen in many models of Daihatsu and Toyota. The 1.0L 3cyl Yaris / Vitz / Charade for example, but I'm not a Toyota expert. These are considered family-sized cars here, where COČ conservation is something normal.
    Last edited by foama; 03-05-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    The exactly the same transmission in the Toyota Aygo, and the manufacturer recommends straight 80W GL4 fully synthetic oil. Figures...

The Chevy Spark gearbox seems to be code "Y4M HD", but I don't know who makes it.

Coincidentally, GM did use an Aisin tranmission in the previous gen Spark, but that was for the 4-spd automatic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)