Thread: 3D printed Mitsubishi shift knob -- WIP --

Country
    United States
    Thanks

3D printed Mitsubishi shift knob -- WIP --

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  91.8 KB

I didn't see anything other then knobs with Mitsubishi logo stickers on them but wanted something a little better. This is still a work in progress but wondered what people thought. I can't decide on putting a ring around it or if I want to sink it down more and stretched the knob height. This should be threaded for the M8x1.25 since it shares the same pattern as a Miata.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Cool project.

I would sink the logo into the shift knob. Then, you can fill the indent with a paint of your choice, and it won't rub off. I did this with some custom 3d printed shift knobs I made for ecomodder, another site Darin and I own. Yes, I embedded microswitches into the shift knob.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I see... it's a wrench AND an E. Clever. Looks Awful big though!

REMY; i think it Looks excellent! Ring or not good job so far!

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can dig it. Do you plan on sharing the file, cause I would be interested in printing one out also.

My suggestions are to indeed counter sink the logo as it'll be painful if you do not. I also tested some shift knobs on my Mirage and honestly the traditional stuff looks kind of odd. I kind of feel like the neck needs to extend downward more and then narrow a bit at the very end to transition to the tiny little shifter shaft. But ultimately it's your call.

I am very interested to see how it turns out. I was planning on doing an ABS one and then acetone vapour smoothing it.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    I can dig it. Do you plan on sharing the file, cause I would be interested in printing one out also.

My suggestions are to indeed counter sink the logo as it'll be painful if you do not. I also tested some shift knobs on my Mirage and honestly the traditional stuff looks kind of odd. I kind of feel like the neck needs to extend downward more and then narrow a bit at the very end to transition to the tiny little shifter shaft. But ultimately it's your call.

I am very interested to see how it turns out. I was planning on doing an ABS one and then acetone vapour smoothing it.
    I haven't taken apart the stock knob or done any measurements on the shaft. I just noticed that it was the same thread size as the Miata and I have been working on a GITD with a Imperial Cog on the top to match the rest of my custom interior. So I figured I would try swapping in the Mitsu logo since I had already made a Mazda logo version. I think I broke the top of the ball off too low as the one that printed this morning shows the open thread shaft. If you have a dropbox or something I can throw the component files at you.

I work almost exclusively in ABS. It is more reliable for me than PLA. Plus is easier to clean up and fix with acetone. I run a Da Vinci Pro system and regardless of what people say about it being cheap or junk it has outperformed the Prusa I started with. And having the laser attachment is handy once in a while.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  109.0 KB

This is the Cog I made for the Miata. It fits perfectly on the shaft.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Remy For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I see... it's a wrench AND an E. Clever. Looks Awful big though!

REMY; i think it Looks excellent! Ring or not good job so far!
    Its really not that large. Its a 2" diameter ball. The OEM shift knob was 1.75" or so. Stuffing electronics in stuff takes up space!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well keep up the good work cause I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

I know I wanted to swap to the old school white Ralliart shift knob but it just doesn't look right on the bare skinny shaft.

I feel like you need something more like this so balance it out. Referring to the bottom where it contours to the shaft size.

Name:  MZ525507EX_16MY_MirageHatch_Transmission_Gear-shift-knob_500x300.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  12.3 KB

Ya know, since it's so difficult for non AU folks to get this special Ralliart beauty here below.

Name:  Ralliart_Gear_Shift_Knob.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  16.7 KB

Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning