Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 2017 Mirage SE vs 2015 Mirage ES (comparison of differences/improvements)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow thank you very much for the detailed info!!! This is what I have been looking for and you provided a lot of useful info. Glad you are happy with your 2017 SE as I love my 2015 ES with Navigation. Keep us posted on any new findings and what ya like about it! Thanks again!

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Before buying my 2017 Mirage I was reading the reviews and minor complaints of the 14/15 models online and none of the complaints with the older models seem to apply to the 2017 models.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As soon as used 17 hit the lot at around $7000, I will pick one up as an addition to the 14 I had.

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello! I have a 2015 Mirage ES CVT with Navigation and al lthe accessory and option packages and love the car. I am purchasing a 2017 Mirage G4 SE in Wine Red tomorrow with the two tone interior and rear spoiler. I could not pass up the deal Im getting ($18,115.00 and getting it for $12,714.00) but wanted to ask you is there a big difference in refinement compared to the 2015 models you say? Is the idle smoother on the 2017s? Just curios any differences you noticed besides what you had previously wrote. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by VespaGoGo View Post
    I have owned a 2015 Mirage ES for the past two years. I have had zero troubles and it has been an excellent car. This past weekend I traded it in for a new 2017 Mirage SE. I opted for the same color and thought it would be the exact same driving experience. Boy was I wrong. I know the new model has 4 more horsepower and a modified suspension system, but it really is a totally different feel to drive. Below are my observations thus far. I hope they help someone that may be pondering a 2017 Mirage:

Power: The 2017 isn't a race car, but it easily pulls the hill beside my driveway with no problem and minimal throttle. The 2015 required quite a bit of throttle to pull the same hill.

Suspension: It corners noticeably better than the 2015 Mirage and is without the feeling like you're leaning around turns. The floaty suspension on the 15 made it great over bumps, and the 17 feels slightly more stiff, yet still somehow engineered to have the same softness when on a rough road.

Stereo: My 2015 Mirage had the standard stereo system. It worked well for my non-audiophile purposes. The new system has the touchscreen interface and Apple Carplay. Works great with my iPhone, but i'm curious as to why there is a GPS module sitting on top of my dash, but that option is greyed out on the display. I contacted Mitsubishi and they said Carplay supersedes the base navigation and disables it in favor of the iPhone navigation. Speakers sound exactly the same.

Bluetooth: I actually like the bluetooth integration on the 2015 better. I was able to use the steering wheel controls. On the 2017 the steering wheel controls are present, but dialing from them is disabled in favor of using the touchscreen unless I have my iPhone physically plugged into the USB port in the car. I also liked the microphone placement in the 2015 better. It was overhead mounted into the headliner. The 2017 has the microphone stuck with mounting tape/clip on the steering column. I don't expect any issues with this, but it doesn't look as nice as in the 2015. it looks like an aftermarket upgrade instead of a factory option.

Interior: I love the new look. The seats look and feel nicer. The material doesn't look as cheap as the 2015 and feels like it will be more durable (though I never had issues with the material in the 2015). The piano black trim really makes the interior look more exotic, but piano black is nearly impossible to clean without microfine swirls and scratches, so I doubt it will look so nice for too long. I also like the new chrome trim on the speedo and the new contrast. A nicely upgraded interior, but it still has the same dash and door panels. I have no problem with that...they're super durable! I would have liked an option for two-tone door panels like the G4 Mirage has.

Windshield. While physically the same size and layout, it now has a shaded area around the mirror mounting point that acts as a sun shade. Trivial, but this small detail makes the car seem less like a bottom-end car and more like what is normally seen in vehicles.

Wheels: Same Ensave tires as before, but with new rims. I had no problem with the rims on the 2015, but the 2017 SE rims are a very nice look for the car. I consider this an upgrade.

Overall exterior: Initially I didn't like the new front end in pictures, but it has really grown on me. After looking at it in person it is most certainly more refined and looks more modern. The hood now has ridges that give it a slightly more aggressive look. Around back, I love the new rear tail lights and their LED layout. They also protrude slightly from the body which gives a slightly sportier look. The rear bumper changes actually made the car look wider when sitting beside a 2014-15 and viewed straight-on from the rear. It's a great optical illusion created through design, and it totally works. The mud flaps are now black instead of painted to match the body color like on the 2015. They also feel more flexible and less prone to breakage. I never had a problem with the flaps on the 2015, but I know people that broke them more than once, so I'm sure the new softer material is the reason for that and also the reason for the molded black color without paint.

Braking: I read that the brake size was increased on this new model. I'm not certain if this is true or not, but I can say that the brakes are most certainly stronger and the car stops with less force applied.

Final verdict: Great update by Mitsubishi and well worth the upgrade! I'm absolutely thrilled with the new 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage SE and feel that it is a great evolution of the (2014-15) Mirage.

I thought the idle was noticeably smoother in the 2017 G4 than a 2015 hatch. See post #7.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your are right, way smoother. I just traded my 2015 Mirage ES CVT for a 2017 Mirage G4 SE loaded and the idle, ride, handling, refinement, quality and features have all improved astronomically!!! I got my G4 in Wine Red with the Light Gray Interior and it looks really upmarket with this combination. The trunk and backseat are HUGE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I thought the idle was noticeably smoother in the 2017 G4 than a 2015 hatch. See post #7.

Congrats on the purchase!

Yes, the back seat is pretty astonishing. More usable leg room than my parents' 2004 Camry.

See this thread if you want to figure out a way to make a pass-through or a removable rear seatback for long cargo items:

Thread: Darin's test drive review notes: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage ES Navi View Post
    Your are right, way smoother. I just traded my 2015 Mirage ES CVT for a 2017 Mirage G4 SE loaded and the idle, ride, handling, refinement, quality and features have all improved astronomically!!! I got my G4 in Wine Red with the Light Gray Interior and it looks really upmarket with this combination. The trunk and backseat are HUGE!!!
    Congrats on the G4! Mine has the black interior, but the seat centers are just a shade lighter it seems. Love the wine red color. Great car for my needs.

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ours look identical besides interior color lol. I love the G4 and the Wine Red is such a unique color when the light hits it. Glad you like yours too!!! I love the apple car play and heated seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
    Congrats on the G4! Mine has the black interior, but the seat centers are just a shade lighter it seems. Love the wine red color. Great car for my needs.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can state the differences between the 2014 and 2017 hatchback models are substantial, and all of them strike me as positive changes. I can't see why Mits would allow the G4 to continue production without improvements when they have the evidence in hand from the hatch.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-30-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: (copied from related thread)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)