Thread: Clunking brakes suddenly?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Clunking brakes suddenly?

I just hit 3k miles on a brand new 2015 Mirage RF and have noticed that when I start the car, the brakes make a clunking sound until I begin to drive faster, at which point the sound does go away until the car has been sitting a while, and then this starts up again.

I can gently rock the brake pedal back and forth and it feels like the pad is sticking to the rotor almost; I can feel it in the pedal engaging and disengaging, when it was a relatively noiseless and fluid motion before. Once I get going, it does seem to disappear however.

I already scheduled maintenance but they can't see me for another 2 weeks. (Getting my oil changed anyway.) I can't imagine I did anything to damage the brakes. Has anyone else had this happen or have any advice?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think it's just corrosion on the rotors from sitting. A light coat of rust forms on the rotors but less under the pads. When you take off after it sits the pad hops over the clean section causing the "clunking" sound until you use the brakes or the running friction evens everything back out.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-18-2016),ganzfeld (10-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I think it's just corrosion on the rotors from sitting. A light coat of rust forms on the rotors but less under the pads. When you take off after it sits the pad hops over the clean section causing the "clunking" sound until you use the brakes or the running friction evens everything back out.
    That does make sense given that it was extremely foggy this morning. Well, as long as it isn't a sign to worry about my brakes suddenly failing, I guess I'll just wait and see what the dealership thinks when I bring it in for the oil.

Thanks for the reply.