Thread: 15,000 Mile Oil Analysis - Results

Country
    United States
    Thanks

15,000 Mile Oil Analysis - Results

Presented are the results of my 15,000 mile oil change interval using Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance oil with a Mobil 1 M1-110 filter. Over this interval I did not add makeup oil, so my sample was not diluted at all.

I started with the oil just above the full line on the dip stick and after 15K miles it was about midway between the high and low marks. So not much oil was burned in 15K miles.

I drive very easy for the first 10-15 min after cold start, and I try to never lug the engine. The car never saw cold start temps below about 55f. Other than that, I don't mind reving it to 5K on occasion and I do lots of highway cruising right around 4K rpm.

Also note - I have a Fumoto oil valve and I collected the sample roughly in the middle of the pour and just after a long drive.

Name:  LIL RED-092016.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  91.4 KB

Is it possible that our timing chain, which is bathed in oil, is contributing to the aluminum? Is it even made out of Aluminum or perhaps its related components?

Next up - I'll go 10,000 miles on Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro and see what happens.

Last edited by gone.a; 10-20-2016 at 02:42 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

anog (10-20-2016),Cobrajet (10-20-2016),Daox (10-20-2016),Eggman (03-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thankss for sharing! I'm using Mobil1 EP too! What was the time interval for you to get to 15K miles?

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Thankss for sharing! I'm using Mobil1 EP too! What was the time interval for you to get to 15K miles?

-Charlie-
    It took about 11 months.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Thanks for posting this. Makes me feel a bit better about my 7,500 mile intervals if others can go twice that long and have it not be too much of an issue.

I am creeping up on 50k.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    ahausheer, thanks for posting your oil analysis report. I too am looking at Mobil 1 EP for my next change.

I would be *very* surprised to see aluminum used for chain. Blackstone says it is usually from pistons or bearings. Any reason not to believe them?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Numbers look good bro. I'd say 15k miles on that oil seems about right.

Btw, the timing chain is going to be steel. So the aluminium is either residual, contamination, or some sort of extreamly minor wear. Head, block, rods, and pistons, are all aluminium so plenty of places to pick it up. I wouldn't fret unless the number jumps a good deal higher.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

8. The Following User Says Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

gone.a (10-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    ...Head, block, rods, and pistons, are all aluminum so plenty of places to pick it up.
    +1 It would be interesting to see some other reports on these engines. I've only done 1 oil sample so far (see it HERE), but it was only after 1000 miles when the engine was brand new so I could see what it looked like. This won't help you, but maybe my next sample will.

Interesting that your TBN level was still OK even after 15K miles. This sample is a different engine, but here is a report from my 2009 Pontiac G5 XFE. I was running Mobil-1 Extended Performance and had this sample done at 9400 miles. Notice the comment about my TBN level. I don't think the oil in that engine could have gone 15K before the TBN went to 0.

Name:  G5OilAnalysis.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  97.6 KB

On a side note for people who may think oil samples are a waste of money...

A guy in my office just bought a used Jetta TDI. He had an oil sample done and it came back with extremely high iron levels. He didn't know it, but some VW diesels have a problem with camshaft lobes wearing prematurely. So he's going to have it checked, and will probably end up putting a new cam in the thing when it's due for a timing belt. Hey...I told him to buy a Mirage...and I'm getting better fuel mileage than he is, too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

gone.a (10-20-2016),mohammad (11-17-2021)