Thread: Good news from the Nissan 34% acquisition of Mitsubishi

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Good news from the Nissan 34% acquisition of Mitsubishi

I'll admit that I was a little torn with the idea of Nissan having a controlling interest in Mitsubishi. One never knows what happens to the smaller brand when things like this take place. Would they kill off Mitsubishi in the US market? Would they replace our beloved Mirage just as it's making it's own footprint and gaining loyalty? Would Mitsubishi still be Mitsubishi?

Just read a new report on Fortune, and it looks like they're planning on Mitsubishi being its own company still:

Ghosn (Nissan CEO) said that keeping Masuko (Current Mitsu CEO) on was an “important condition” in proceeding with the partnership, adding that all management decisions would be made by Masuko.

“One of the reasons that I so much wanted Mr. Masuko to stay as CEO was because I wanted the people at Mitsubishi to know that Mitsubishi will remain Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi will not become a subsidiary of Nissan,” he told a joint briefing.

“This sends a strong message that it’s not Nissan that’s going to transform Mitsubishi, it’s Mitsubishi that’s going to transform Mitsubishi.”

Looks like good news for Mitsubishi and for all Mitsubishi owners!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VespaGoGo For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (10-20-2016),Eggman (10-20-2016),inuvik (10-20-2016),mitsumi (11-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Thanks for posting this article. Do you have a link to the original?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

opencage (11-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks for posting this article. Do you have a link to the original?
    http://fortune.com/2016/10/20/nissan...ishi-takeover/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VespaGoGo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-21-2016)

Another article, which is less clear on how the changes will affect U.S. operations specifically:

“We will have to dig more in the U.S.,” he told Automotive News. “But when you talk about purchasing, engineering, platforms, engines, plug-in hybrids — it’s massive.”

Considering the lack of product overlap between the two companies in the U.S. and that both brands see electrification as the way forward, the deal could help both Mitsubishi and Nissan round out their product lineups.

No details are known at this time, but Ghosn said he’ll make his plans for the two companies crystal clear once the deal is formally announced.

“The day we announce the deal, we’re going to tell you exactly what we’re going to do together. And it’s massive. It’s massive between Mitsubishi and Nissan,” he said.
    The thing is, that emphasized quote from that piece is wrong: there is overlap in the U.S., and it's between Versa & Mirage. That has me a little concerned, honestly. Direct competitors in the "most affordable vehicle" competition.

Source: Ghosn: ‘Massive’ Plans for Mitsubishi-Nissan Alliance in US

Here's a detailed article, minus the U.S. comments:

Nissan takes control of Mitsubishi with Ghosn as chairman

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Another article, which is less clear on how the changes will affect U.S. operations specifically:

The thing is, that emphasized quote from that piece is wrong: there is overlap in the U.S., and it's between Versa & Mirage. That has me a little concerned, honestly. Direct competitors in the "most affordable vehicle" competition.

Source: Ghosn: ‘Massive’ Plans for Mitsubishi-Nissan Alliance in US

Here's a detailed article, minus the U.S. comments:

Nissan takes control of Mitsubishi with Ghosn as chairman
    But now Nissan gets a little piece of the action for every Mirage Mitsubishi sells. I'd bet they are gonna be fine with it!

It never seemed like this was a hostile takeover or corporate raiding when this deal was announced...this statement by Nissan's chair just reinforces that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will be interesting to see what Ghosn does. Hopefully he doesn't have too much on his plate but hopefully Mitsubishi can start back up again and rise. Revive the Galant to go against the Accord/Maxima.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi started turning things around. I don't see the buyout from Nissan being a good thing. It's hard enough to get parts for a Mitsubishi (seems they have a lot of dealer only stuff) and I'm not sure this is going to help. Nissan is probably the lowest quality of the Japanese manufacturers, too.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Every automaker is looking to partner up with someone else. The costs are so massive that no one wants to go it alone. Mitsubishi had been turning things around, but they're showing big losses for this year.

If Mitsubishi can share the cost of R&D, and parts ordering with Renault-Nissan, they'll be better able to bring new vehicles to market.