Thread: Nokian Nordman 5 Snow Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Nokian Nordman 5 Snow Tires

I've been doing some research for snow tires recently, and came across these Nokian Nordman 5 165/65/R14's for $300 shipped. However I also noticed that they are selling the same tires in 165/70/R14 for $50 less. So I have two questions. First, does anyone have any input on Nokian in general? These tires don't have many reviews, but the few I did find are good. Second, is there any reason not to get the cheaper 165/70/R14's? I know that it will throw off the speedo a bit but I'm not worried about that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I understand Nokian is well known for their winter tires.

Sounds like the cheaper set is the way to go. Improved clearance, right? You might need it in Buffalo.

Just out of curiosity it might be worthwhile to check with a local distributor to see if they can match the price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's a really good price for Nokians. They're made in Finland, and are among the best winter tires available.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I understand Nokian is well known for their winter tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    That's a really good price for Nokians. They're made in Finland, and are among the best winter tires available.
    Good to know. I hadn't heard of them before and everyone I know says to stick to the big brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Improved clearance, right? You might need it in Buffalo.

Just out of curiosity it might be worthwhile to check with a local distributor to see if they can match the price.
    Definitely haha. I just wanted to double check here first. Even though such a small change shouldn't affect much, this is my first time buying tires so better safe than sorry, especially since I'm buying non-OE tires online.

I did check with a local place and all they have are Dunlop Winter Maxx. They quoted me $500 for the whole deal, or $25/tire if I bring my own in. I'll probably buy the $250 set and hopefully get it all done for under $400.

Also if anyone was interested, you can get those tires studded for $30 extra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The Finns pretty much invented dedicated snow tires, and Nokian is a Finnish company. As others have said, they are among the best you can buy.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I get Nokians from simpletire, its the cheapest place I've found. I've ran 6 WRG2, and 6 WRG3 quite happy with them. Pair of Entyre's in the mail now to put on my car (Cobalt XFE) till winter kicks in. They happen to have Nordsman 4s for $46 each, guess it just the previous version, they don't list 5's in 165/70-14, but $71 in 65 Shipping has been running 11-13 per tire. (195-65-15)

https://simpletire.com/nokian-165-65r14-t429046-tires

Nokian's own website list the 70's are available, looks like the set of 5's you found are would be almost same price as the 4's to your door.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd go with slightly taller - just for a bit more ground clearance. Nokian makes the best snow tires IMO.

People in Subarus on all season tires will get confused as your Mirage passes them with ease.