Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: marvel mystery oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungpaoshizi View Post
    Eh, to each their own.

I did have the thought the other night though, is there even an engine additive product other than engine flush products that are marketed as cleaners? I know lucas has the oil stabilizer. I did find it funny that I found at Walmart mmo has had " a new improved formula"! lol
    I thought it was alright as-is. Makes me wonder if it was just a change of the label to remove 'MYSTERY OIL' across the front. Seems to be the biggest thing people make fun of. heh
    I stick to using quality lubricants and change them at their intended interval.

1. Letting engine oil sit past it's six-month change requirement risks using its additive pack beyond its intended lifespan. Unless this is checked using an engine oil analysis, its an unnecessary risk.
    2. Engine oil lubricants are proprietary formulations and each vendor has a different mix. Using additives is generally frowned upon. As long as the oil is changed according to instructions, additives are largely unnecessary, can cause other problems, and becomes an economic waste.

More reading here: BITOG | Motor Oil 101
    Search the BITOG forums for more detailed info and opinion.

Regards.

Last edited by Eggman; 01-30-2019 at 08:53 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I moved the discussion on Additive Comparision to another thread. It's a good question that deserves it's own space.

It can be found here: Additive Comparison

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So that's interesting, another guy here said he uses Sea Foam in the oil. I never thought about that or noticed if it does say it, it's used for that. He believes it's terpentine.

Any chemical engineers around that would be able to theoretically analyze the difference between terpentine and kerosene in the engine mixed with oil? I don't know enough about either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    So that's interesting, another guy here said he uses Sea Foam in the oil. I never thought about that or noticed if it does say it, it's used for that. He believes it's terpentine.

Any chemical engineers around that would be able to theoretically analyze the difference between terpentine and kerosene in the engine mixed with oil? I don't know enough about either.
    Scotty Kilmer sort of comes across as nut case, but he makes good points sometimes. You only have to watch the first 1.5 minutes of this youtube.com clip to get his points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6pHSn8lLAQ&t=140s

If you don't watch the clip, this what I got from it. SeaFoam came out in the 1940's (1942). It was created to help clean out 2-stroke outboard boat motors primarily. I don't think fuel injectors were very popular during World War II.

A second point comes out in his discussion. Fuel injectors do benefit from a nitrogen based cleaner & Techron is a nitrogen based cleaner.

I came away with this. My chainsaws may really benefit from using some Sea Foam in the gas. My Mirage might like a shot of Techron from time to time.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I have a USB endoscope camera and use it for checking on carbon buildup. Each year, I remove the injector bank and insert it through the holes for the injectors.
    This car is almost five years old, and has totally zero carbon on the valves and in the intake system. It is perfectly clean, no need for any additives here! Our cars do not have direct fuel injection, so the injectors are before the valves, hence they stay clean.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I have a USB endoscope camera and use it for checking on carbon buildup. Each year, I remove the injector bank and insert it through the holes for the injectors.
    This car is almost five years old, and has totally zero carbon on the valves and in the intake system. It is perfectly clean, no need for any additives here! Our cars do not have direct fuel injection, so the injectors are before the valves, hence they stay clean.
    Well that's good to know! What is the type of fuel injection these cars have?

I did some reading on turpentine vs kerosene. It seems that turpentine is derived from pine trees mainly and kerosene is derived from petroleum. Going to see if I can find more info on it after work, makes me wonder about potential energy, viscosity, etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's not direct injection, if that's what you're wondering

I did some reading on turpentine vs kerosene. It seems that turpentine is derived from pine trees mainly and kerosene is derived from petroleum. Going to see if I can find more info on it after work, makes me wonder about potential energy, viscosity, etc.
    Interesting. What plans do you have in mind for this?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

foama (01-30-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

1.) The fuel injection on our cars is into the intake manifold, just in front of the intake valves. It is not direct fuel injection, that would be injection directly into the combustion chamber. Direct fuel injection has the advantage of lower fuel consumption. Disadvantages are more complexity at higher expense, very much higher levels of minute particles in the exhaust fumes, and a tendency of intake valves becoming full of gunk due to the spray of fuel entering the combustion chamber directly, instead of the intake valves being sprayed and cleaned by the solvent action of fuel. Various direct fuel injection cars have a long history of becoming fouled up and repeatedly needing expensive repairs! Ours do not have these problems.

2.) Real turpentine was produced about up to the end of WW2. Today's turpentine is not actually turpentine, but a synthetic replacement, partly derived from mineral oil.

3.) Our cars have soundly built highly modern engines! The original 3A9x / 4A9x design came from a partnership between Daimler (MDC) and Mitsubishi. Those engines were built into the European Colt, the Smart For Four, and some others. That original design was later modified by Mitsubishi for our cars, but was also the basis for some later Mercedes engine products, as well as for a new and efficient Renault engine that is found in some Renault, Dacia, etc.
    The 3A90 / 3A92 are very well and thoroughly designed engines, meaning an unusually high effort was put into the design. They will last very long if serviced properly and regularly. They have no tendancy of valves or piston rings becoming fouled-up. We don't need hocus pocus or any extra miracle wonder stuff for the Mirage.
    Last edited by foama; 01-30-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's not direct injection, if that's what you're wondering

Interesting. What plans do you have in mind for this?
    Don't know yet. I'm just a nerd like that.. I love to learn!
    But improvement can always be found. I'm skeptical of all engine additives, but they do serve a purpose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    1.) The fuel injection on our cars is into the intake manifold, just in front of the intake valves. It is not direct fuel injection, that would be injection directly into the combustion chamber. Direct fuel injection has the advantage of lower fuel consumption. Disadvantages are more complexity at higher expense, very much higher levels of minute particles in the exhaust fumes, and a tendency of intake valves becoming full of gunk due to the spray of fuel entering the combustion chamber directly, instead of the intake valves being sprayed and cleaned by the solvent action of fuel. Various direct fuel injection cars have a long history of becoming fouled up and repeatedly needing expensive repairs! Ours do not have these problems.

2.) Real turpentine was produced about up to the end of WW2. Today's turpentine is not actually turpentine, but a synthetic replacement, partly derived from mineral oil.

3.) Our cars have soundly built highly modern engines! The original 3A9x / 4A9x design came from a partnership between Daimler (MDC) and Mitsubishi. Those engines were built into the European Colt, the Smart For Four, and some others. That original design was later modified by Mitsubishi for our cars, but was also the basis for some later Mercedes engine products, as well as for a new and efficient Renault engine that is found in some Renault, Dacia, etc.
    The 3A90 / 3A92 are very well and thoroughly designed engines, meaning an unusually high effort was put into the design. They will last very long if serviced properly and regularly. They have no tendancy of valves or piston rings becoming fouled-up. We don't need hocus pocus or any extra miracle wonder stuff for the Mirage.
    Thanks for that, I love to hear more info!