Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bc racing coilovers for the 2014-2017 mirage !!!!!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I took my car to Mt. Rainier national park this weekend and drove some of the roads there. I have the stock setup, but with a daox sway bar. The car took the corners without too much body roll, but there was just something... missing. It's difficult to describe. I think driving those roads in my old Monte Carlo SS would have been FUN, but in the Mirage it just... was.

I understand this is just meant to be a daily driver, and the softness and height are very practical. But, damn, it's killing my soul here. Hoping a sportier setup and maybe 1-2" lower would help the look and the feel significantly.

Considering biting the bullet and doing a proper, full suspension swap with one of these kits. However, I have no experience doing such significant modifications to a car, and really don't know what the end result would feel like (those spring rates mean nothing to me).

For anyone on the forum here who did do a full suspension swap, what was the end result? How does the ride compare to the super soft stock setup? Does the car feel more connected to the road? Any insight you can share is appreciated, because this is a lot of time/effort/money to invest for something that might end up making my car actively worse at the end of the day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I took my car to Mt. Rainier national park this weekend and drove some of the roads there. I have the stock setup, but with a daox sway bar. The car took the corners without too much body roll, but there was just something... missing. It's difficult to describe. I think driving those roads in my old Monte Carlo SS would have been FUN, but in the Mirage it just... was.

I understand this is just meant to be a daily driver, and the softness and height are very practical. But, damn, it's killing my soul here. Hoping a sportier setup and maybe 1-2" lower would help the look and the feel significantly.

Considering biting the bullet and doing a proper, full suspension swap with one of these kits. However, I have no experience doing such significant modifications to a car, and really don't know what the end result would feel like (those spring rates mean nothing to me).

For anyone on the forum here who did do a full suspension swap, what was the end result? How does the ride compare to the super soft stock setup? Does the car feel more connected to the road? Any insight you can share is appreciated, because this is a lot of time/effort/money to invest for something that might end up making my car actively worse at the end of the day.
    Had a big snow storm at the beginning of this week. The roads were loaded with packed snow which became ice with tons of chuckholes. I came to fully appreciate the soft 2015 suspension sopping up those bumps and cruised through some bad road conditions that trapped many others thanks to the stock ride height.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Had a big snow storm at the beginning of this week. The roads were loaded with packed snow which became ice with tons of chuckholes. I came to fully appreciate the soft 2015 suspension sopping up those bumps and cruised through some bad road conditions that trapped many others thanks to the stock ride height.
    Yeah, this is why I am torn.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest (obviously), so it doesn't really snow that much up here, and the roads aren't salted, so are generally in pretty good shape. It's not an environment where I NEED the ground clearance/floaty ride, however:

I have (several times) bottomed-out the suspension by driving over curbs, hitting sunken-in manhole covers, and pulling into construction sites. Other than a ka-clunk noise, consequences were non-existent. Compare that to something like my previous, sportier cars, where you would hear the anus-puckering noise of the chin scraping off concrete when pulling into an overly-aggressive grocery store parking lot. The Mirage also just kind of glides over any bumps in the road as if there is nothing there, whereas my previous times driving would involve actively serpentine-ing in my lane in order to avoid having my lower vertebrae crushed by a penny in the road.

But, the tradeoff is that the Mirage isn't much fun to drive, which is a shame when I am finally at a point in my life when I live in an area with such great roads, and actually have the time/money to go on drives for fun. So, I'm still torn.

The obvious solution is to just get another car, but that really comes down to circumstances more than anything else. I rent a single room in a house, and that costs me $1K a month here. I only have a single allotted parking space, and definitely no garage to store or work on vehicles. So the Mirage has got to be my one and only for the time being.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I rent a single room in a house, and that costs me $1K a month here. I only have a single allotted parking space, and definitely no garage to store or work on vehicles.
    The Mirage is a great choice for saving your hard earned money for bigger and better things. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable spending $1,000 each month for a single room as living arrangements. Saving money on transportation should help you get into better accommodations?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The Mirage is a great choice for saving your hard earned money for bigger and better things. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable spending $1,000 each month for a single room as living arrangements. Saving money on transportation should help you save for better accommodations?
    Yeah - and this is the rub, ladies and gentlemen. Before you can realistically start getting stuck into cars, you need to own a house with a garage. And by that point there's more important things to spend your money/time on.

I guess that's why it's usually a bunch of old dudes you see at cars and coffee. Gotta wait that long to be able to responsibly indulge yourself!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-04-2020)

Yeah - and this is the rub, ladies and gentlemen. Before you can realistically start getting stuck into cars, you need to own a house with a garage. And by that point there's more important things to spend your money/time on.
    I can relate to this. I finally have a garage and just use it for parking in the winter. The only thing I have that really could use some tinkering is my truck and it's too fat to fit inside.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have Eibach Pro Kit springs on my Yaris with the rear sway bar and 175/55/15 Nankang AS-I tires. It's much more fun to drive now. From everyone I've spoken to that has coilovers on their Mirage, they are very stiff for daily driving. I had Megan Racing coiloers on my 2007 Toyota Yaris, and even on the softest setting they were far too stiff and had minimal travel.

My Mirage with the Eibach Pro Kit springs still rides well, but handling is improved for sure. I'd love to find some sport shocks/struts someday (maybe from SE Asia) to make the handling a bit sportiter without going to full coilovers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I have Eibach Pro Kit springs on my Yaris with the rear sway bar and 175/55/15 Nankang AS-I tires. It's much more fun to drive now. From everyone I've spoken to that has coilovers on their Mirage, they are very stiff for daily driving. I had Megan Racing coiloers on my 2007 Toyota Yaris, and even on the softest setting they were far too stiff and had minimal travel.

My Mirage with the Eibach Pro Kit springs still rides well, but handling is improved for sure. I'd love to find some sport shocks/struts someday (maybe from SE Asia) to make the handling a bit sportiter without going to full coilovers.
    Yeah, seriously what the heck is with the default spring rate on these BC Racing coilovers? According to this it's 6K front and 4K rear. That is SUPER stiff! I was just looking at some hot hatches for reference, and it seems the Fiesta ST has a 2.75K front and 2.33K rear from factory. So about 2x what the performance engineers at Ford thought was appropriate on a car with a similar size/suspension setup to ours.

Hmmmm...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://coiloverdepot.com/products/1...lovers-br-type says "You can request custom spring rates by entering the rates you want in the special instructions box after clicking add to cart."

https://nextgentuning.com/products/b...overs-b-32-br? also has a spot for custom spring rates.

So...what rates are soft enough, but not too soft?

What is "extreme low" which is only available on the front?
    What is BR series vs ER series? Seems to reset to BR...
    What are "swift springs" also only available on the front?

https://shop.bcracing-na.com/product...19572210204760
    This site shows "default" spring rates as 4K front and 2.4 rear...

FWIW, Godspeed is advertising theirs as 4k front and 3k rear.
    https://godspeedproject.com/mitsubis...coilovers.html
    Last edited by Dark Magenta; 03-09-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Silver's Neomax is Front 4.5K, Rear 3.2K.
    Did anyone ever post the stock spring rates for a '18 hatch?

I can see appreciating the tighter rear, but I don't think I'd want the stiffer-than-BC front. I'm hoping to make a purchase soon, and was planning to go with BC, but the place I was thinking of buying from has me considering Silver's. Both seem to have the Swift Spring upgrade option for the front, and rear adjustment extenders option.

https://www.importimageracing.com/co...rage-2012-2018

Opinions?
    Edit: they’re telling me either can have Swift springs at 4K.��

Last edited by Dark Magenta; 03-23-2022 at 03:39 AM.