Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    ... after installing my OE wheels with winter tires on the other day, the light decided to turn right back on.
    So the TPMS sensors in your OE wheels are not registered in the TPMS computer.

I'm curious about what your TPMS light is indicating. When you start your car now, does the TPMS light flash for 1 minute and then stay on solid?

I know from past experience putting the old set back on turned the light back off...
    ...if I were to put the VX wheels back on (with the old sensors which are currently programmed to the car), drove it until the light turned off, then swap on the OEM wheels (which currently are removed from the ECU) and reset it before it turns on the TPMS light, it should work.
    I believe that would work. As long as that TPMS light isn't flashing when you start the car, you should be able to register the sensor IDs into the computer using something like the Mitsureset tool. That's my understanding after reading the TPMS section of the Service Manual.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-26-2016 at 06:49 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm curious about what your TPMS light is indicating. When you start your car now, does the TPMS light flash for 1 minute and then stay on solid?
    Yep, that's exactly what it does. Turned on after two days of driving to work and back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what it does. Turned on after two days of driving to work and back.
    Interesting. That's what my car was doing...but it didn't take days to start flashing. I think mine came on after 15-30 minutes of driving.

Maybe it turns the light on after a certain number of miles or something. I'll have to see what it says in the service manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    ...can the pressure in each tire simply be lowered to trigger each sensor?
    Check out this older Mitsubishi TSB. It specifically mentions being able to trigger the sensors by decreasing the tire's air pressure (see page 6). This TSB is from 2011 and the sensors don't look like those used in the Mirage. But it makes you wonder if this method might work with Mirage sensors?

Mitsubishi TSB 11-31-001 (TPMS)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Check out this older Mitsubishi TSB. It specifically mentions being able to trigger the sensors by decreasing the tire's air pressure (see page 6). This TSB is from 2011 and the sensors don't look like those used in the Mirage. But it makes you wonder if this method might work with Mirage sensors?

Mitsubishi TSB 11-31-001 (TPMS)
    They did this very procedure on my '15 when I was getting intermittent TPMS warnings. All the sensors were fine, they ended up replacing my ETACS unit. No problems since.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    They did this very procedure on my '15 when I was getting intermittent TPMS warnings.
    They registered the sensors in your 2015 by dropping the air pressure in each tire? If so, that's very interesting. That procedure is not mentioned in the Mirage service manual.

FYI for anyone reading this. ETACS is the Mirage's TPMS computer, which is separate from the car's ECM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    They registered the sensors in your 2015 by dropping the air pressure in each tire? If so, that's very interesting. That procedure is not mentioned in the Mirage service manual.

FYI for anyone reading this. ETACS is the Mirage's TPMS computer, which is separate from the car's ECM.
    No, my TPMS would go on and off intermittently but my pressures were fine. When I brought it in no TPMS error. They lowered the air pressure to activate the TPMS warning and then refilled the tires but the error wouldn't clear even though all sensors were working and registered. They then ordered a new ETACS. I had to return to the dealer in a few weeks after it came in and they replaced it. I saw the invoice, it was like $800.00. No problems since.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Found this procedure in the Mirage Service Manual for registering sensor ID

"TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR ID REGISTRATION" METHOD
    1.Select "4tires ID Reg. (Change tire PRS.)" and start the tire pressure sensor ID registration.
    CAUTION
    Register all tire pressure sensor IDs within twenty minutes.
    2."4 SNSR ID Registration Do you want to start? Note Finish ID Registration within 20 minutes." is displayed. Then, press "OK."
    NOTE:
    If the ID code registration is not finished within 20 minutes, all the ID codes registered in the TPMS transmitter before will be erased. For this reason, the ID codes need to be registered again.
    3.Decrease the tire pressure to 189 kPa (27.4 psi) or less by changing 20 kPa (2.9 psi) or more, and register the tire pressure sensor ID code of each wheel to ETACS-ECU <vehicles without Keyless Operation System> or KOS&OSS-ECU <vehicles with Keyless Operation System>.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I wonder what it takes for the TPMS computer to STORE a fault code? I have swapped on my spare a couple of times when I have gotten a flat. The TPMS light flashes for a minute then stays on solid whenever the car is started in this condition. Like you'd expect it to when it is not detecting a sensor.

But once the flat tire has been repaired and the wheel is put back on the vehicle, the light goes out and stays out as if nothing happened. So it didn't seem to store anything.

Interesting that we actually can deflate the tire to trigger the sensor. It makes sense, since low pressure is what would normally trigger one.

Top, the only thing that seems to make sense in your situation is Discount Tire breaking a sensor and surreptitiously replacing it. After replacing it, they didn't have the tools to code it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Found this procedure in the Mirage Service Manual for registering sensor ID...

3.Decrease the tire pressure to 189 kPa (27.4 psi) or less by changing 20 kPa (2.9 psi) or more, and register the tire pressure sensor ID code of each wheel to ETACS-ECU
    Man...I need to get my eyes checked. Thanks for pointing that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I wonder what it takes for the TPMS computer to STORE a fault code?
    I wondered the same thing. The service manual is not very clear. For example, C1900 is the trouble code for an unregistered TPMS sensor. Here's what it says about this code:

DTC C1900: Tire ID code No registration

DTC SET CONDITION

When the ID codes of the TPMS transmitter are not set in ETACS-ECU, and/or when ETACS-ECU is replaced with a new one, this code is set.

If the ID registration mode is terminated forcibly or timeout after one or more TPMS transmitters are registered in the ID registration mode, the ID codes in the ETACS-ECU are erased, and this diagnostic trouble code is set.

So the C1900 code is set if you have an unregistered sensor, but is that code being stored...or is it generated every time the car starts and the TPMS system goes through its self-test? Based on everyone's experience, it sure looks like this code will clear automatically once you install the registered sensors back on the car (like your flat tire example).

Based on what daleVW said above, maybe you can try triggering the sensors by dropping air pressure (without the triggering tool) to see what happens.