Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    It's funny because it seems so much else of this little car strikes me as well thought out.

Oh well, can't win them all. What do you expect out of a cheap economy car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I had the 2019 Corolla hatchback it could support two sets of sensors but that was an all new car for 2019. I remember being surprised that it did that as I've never seen that before.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I recently bought another TPMS tool on eBay for about $250 (used). This is the same Bartec tool that Discount Tire used on my car the last time I needed TPMS programming. It should work to do the same things that Dodge Aries K's tool is doing. I'll let you guys know. I don't have the tool yet because I think this eBay seller went on vacation without shipping the tool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Okay... braved the cold for a bit. Sundance seat cleaning came out fantastic from yesterday (had to dry) and the new thermostat works great. It's almost ready to go find itself a new home! Should be a good starter car for someone.

Anyway, after checking all that, got out the scanner and headed to my 2015 Mirage.

Says there to register a first set and second set of sensors as well as an ID check. Let's start with that...

Okay, let's see about adding a second set of sensors...

Hit OK and waited for it to communicate with the car and...

Dammit! So while it can communicate with the ECU and (probably... didn't try changing it) change the primary sensors the TPMS ECU in the car can NOT support two sets of sensors. What a bummer and a half. I'll experiment more on it at some point when it isn't cold outside and see if that's something that maybe can be enabled with either the Autel or the MMCoding software but I'm going to guess it isn't since I believe the cars with that feature overseas have an option to switch between the two sensors on the MFD on the gauge cluster if I remember right.
    That's what mine said too. "function not supported". Thanks for checking for everyone!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Well, I had my first original OEM TPMS sensor die of what appears to be 'natural causes' a few days ago.

The TPMS light suddenly started flashing late Sunday night. The weather was soggy and terrible, so when it went off again about half an hour later I assumed this was the cause. Just a glitch...maybe some debris thrown up into the wheel well? But then it started flashing again. A short time later, same as before, it went off.

I didn't drive the car Monday or Tuesday, but when I drove it early Wednesday once again it started flashing for a while, then went off. It did this a couple more times. Later that night, it started flashing...and KEPT flashing whenever I started the car. I got home Wednesday night and grabbed my Bartec Tech400SD to see what the problem was. Turns out the sensor on the right rear wheel is...dead.

I have a couple spare Schrader EZ-Sensors of the same type I put in my snow tires, and I mounted those tires last week. Strangely, when I mounted the snow tires I checked the sensors in the snow wheels to find one of them was...dead. So I grabbed a spare sensor, used the good sensor on the summer wheel to clone the ID, and installed it in the snow wheel. But now, strangely-er, I have to do the opposite! I grabbed my other spare sensor, used the good sensor on the snow wheel to clone the ID, and am going to install it on the summer wheel.

I thought about replacing all four sensors, but the other three sensors had battery levels reading "Normal" according to the Tech400SD. So I guess I will just replace them as needed for now. Mileage on the car is about 159,000. Not sure if the battery went dead on the OE sensor, or if something else happened to it. Could just be the weather is getting colder, which affects battery performance, but the weather on Thursday here was quite nice. The light never went out.

BTW, it looks like the Schrader EZ-Sensor #33000, which I have been using, has been discontinued. It has been replaced by the three-frequency #33500.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 10-16-2020 at 12:56 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I've jacked around with my sensors so much, it's hard to remember if I had an OEM one fail. But I think I did have an OEM one die...and I also had an aftermarket replacement sensor die.

I'm not sure what to think of the battery checking capability of either TPMS tool I have. I've never checked a sensor where the battery test didn't come back as either "good" or "dead". I wish there was a more accurate "strength of signal" test or something.

I just replaced my tires at 90,000+ miles. My TPMS sensors were still working...but I didn't want to wait for them to start failing. So I just replaced them when the new tires were installed. It was an extra $120 ($30/sensor), but I won't have to worry about them for another 4-5 years. That's probably not a wise financial move...since the sensors could last for years longer, but with my luck they would start failing on the coldest day of the year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    BTW, it looks like the Schrader EZ-Sensor #33000, which I have been using, has been discontinued. It has been replaced by the three-frequency #33500.
    $22.85 with free shipping is not a bad price for a programmable TPMS sensor.

I have never seen a 314.9 frequency (listed with the standard 315 & 433 MHz frequencies before). Just what we need - more frequencies. NOT! It's good that it has them all covered, however.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I've jacked around with my sensors so much, it's hard to remember if I had an OEM one fail. But I think I did have an OEM one die...and I also had an aftermarket replacement sensor die.

I'm not sure what to think of the battery checking capability of either TPMS tool I have. I've never checked a sensor where the battery test didn't come back as either "good" or "dead". I wish there was a more accurate "strength of signal" test or something.

I just replaced my tires at 90,000+ miles. My TPMS sensors were still working...but I didn't want to wait for them to start failing. So I just replaced them when the new tires were installed. It was an extra $120 ($30/sensor), but I won't have to worry about them for another 4-5 years. That's probably not a wise financial move...since the sensors could last for years longer, but with my luck they would start failing on the coldest day of the year.
    I am waiting for the day when one of my original TPMS sensors dies on my 2011 Subaru Forester (approximately 95,000 miles on the vehicle). Those sensors are still going after 9 years. I probably just jinxed that!

Googled TPMS replacement costs & this is what you find -

"Generally speaking, the TPMS sensor replacement cost is going to fall somewhere between $230 and $750 in most cases. And unlike some other auto repairs, it's the parts, not the labor, that are going to get you. TPMS sensors can cost anywhere from $180 to $680 alone." Aug 29, 2020

I don't mind paying a tire shop to mount & balance tires. I used two different shops this summer, & both places charged $30 to mount & balance 4 tires.

I wouldn't pay a huge amount of money to keep my TPMS working. Cloning a $30 sensors with a $120 Autel TS408 tool is something I can live with.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Yeah, if I have another sensor die in the near future I will just replace all four. But since I had a single spare sensor on hand I figured I might as well just use it if the other three sensors aren't giving me any trouble.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    $22.85 with free shipping is not a bad price for a programmable TPMS sensor.

I have never seen a 314.9 frequency (listed with the standard 315 & 433 MHz frequencies before). Just what we need - more frequencies. NOT! It's good that it has them all covered, however.
    Yeah, that is what I though as well. Most of the #33000 sensors I bought were more expensive. Since these sensors are almost generic...covering the three major frequencies...I guess 'the economy of scale' might be a factor in their low cost?

I had never heard of a 314.9 sensor, either.