Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

I read previously somewhere that our cars can store two sets of TPMS sensor codes, for summer and winter tire sets. I had my second set of sensors reprogrammed to finally turn off my TPMS light, but after installing my OE wheels with winter tires on the other day, the light decided to turn right back on.

Either the dealership erased the original sensors from the computer, or our cars can actually only have one set of sensors active at a time. If the latter is the case, it looks like I just wasted $117 having the second set reprogrammed. :/

Does anyone know for sure if we can run two sets of sensors?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    European Mirage computers can store 2 sets of TPMS Sensor IDs, but only 1 set is active at any time. You indicate which set is active using the dash information button. Someone from Finland previously posted the following page from their owner's manual. I can't read it, but the illustrations give you an idea of how it works...

Name:  TPMS_Sets.jpg
Views: 3474
Size:  57.3 KB

Unfortunately, Mirages for the US market can only store 1 set of TPMS IDs.

There are a couple of moderately affordable tools available to solve this problem...so you don't have to pay the dealer $100 every time you swap wheels...

OPTION #1: ATEQ Quickset Tool Price: $150.00

EDIT...
    This device is compatible with some Mitsubishi models...but NOT the Mirage.
    See Cobrajet's post #6 below and watch his video link for details.

This device stores 2 sets of TPMS IDs...one for winter wheels and one for summer. You set it up by loading both sets of your TPMS ID's onto the device. Then all you have to do is connect the tool to the OBDII port and push a single button (winter or summer) to load the appropriate IDs. Here is a video showing how this tool works:

The limiting factor with this tool is you have to know the actual ID numbers of the sensors in your extra set of wheels. If you don't know what they are, so you will have to have a tire shop (or someone with a good TPMS tool) scan your second set of wheels and tell you what the TPMS IDs are.

OPTION #2: ATEQ MitsuReset Tool Price: $180.00

EDIT...
    Even though the manufacturer says this tool works on the Mirage, both Cobrajet and I have purchased this tool and tried it...and IT DOESN'T WORK ON A MIRAGE. So DO NOT BUY THIS TOOL!!! See
    Cobrajet's post here

This device doesn't store TPMS ID's. Instead, it commands the car's TPMS system into 'learn' mode. This allows the car's computer to read and store the IDs of the 4 TPMS sensors currently installed on the car. This is probably the easier way to register TPMS sensors to your car, and it doesn't require a laptop, installing software, having the sensor IDs, etc. The downside is that it requires a second tool capable of 'triggering' the sensors during the re-learn procedure.

Here are the instructions for this tool so you can see how it works...

Name:  mitsureset.jpg
Views: 3052
Size:  84.5 KB

I used to own this tool, but it wouldn't work in my situation (which was very unusual). My TPMS light was flashing because of an existing TPMS error code. It turns out this tool can't put the computer into learn mode when you have existing TPMS error codes stored in the computer. I had to get a dealer to clear my TPMS codes (different from clearing OBDII codes) before I could register my sensor IDs.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 11-07-2016 at 08:24 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-26-2016),MetroMPG (11-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's one other option I just stumbled across. I didn't know this was possible, but it sounds pretty cool. This is probably a good option for someone who hasn't already purchased a second set of TPMS sensors.

You can buy replacement TPMS sensors that can be 'cloned' with your existing TPMS sensor IDs. With a set of cloned sensors installed in a second set of wheels, you can change your wheels and never have to program anything into the TPMS system. The computer will always think the same sensors are on the car.

Here's a video showing how it's done...

You need to buy programmable sensors to do this. Not all TPMS sensors can be cloned. I wonder if some better tire shops have the cloning tool? It's not that expensive. HERE it is on Amazon.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-26-2016 at 03:04 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-26-2016),inuvik (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Very timely and informative thread. I was about to call my dealer and make an appointment to have my snow tire/wheel TPMS sensors ADDED. Now I know that adding them is not possible.

Not sure why Mitsubishi would stick US drivers with being able to store only one set of sensors. Might make sense for cars sent to Ecuador, but the US gets plenty of snow. Do our Canadian friends get to store two sets of sensors? Is this a feature that could be enabled on our cars with an MUT3 or other software?

So the ATEQ Mitsureset tool is a good bet if I do not already have any TPMS error codes flashing? Is the 'triggering tool'...eg VT 15...required, or can the pressure in each tire simply be lowered to trigger each sensor?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I was about to call my dealer and make an appointment to have my snow tire/wheel TPMS sensors ADDED. Now I know that adding them is not possible.
    It looks like we (US drivers) got hosed again on a 'feature' other Mirage owners have.

Do our Canadian friends get to store two sets of sensors?
    I don't know. Maybe someone from Canada can chime in and let us know.

Is this a feature that could be enabled on our cars with an MUT3 or other software?
    I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone who has played around with the MUT3 can tell us.

So the ATEQ Mitsureset tool is a good bet if I do not already have any TPMS error codes flashing?
    This tool appears to be the closest thing to 'normal' TPMS re-learning that I'm familiar with in domestic cars. Just get the TPMS computer into 'learn' mode, trigger all 4 sensors, and you're done. No need to worry about the actual ID numbers of the sensors.

Is the 'triggering tool' required, or can the pressure in each tire simply be lowered to trigger each sensor?
    You're thinking too logically. Of course Mitsubishi's system won't just let you air down a tire to trigger a sensor. You'll need a triggering tool. I have a TIPS TPMS tool for triggering sensors. So if you decide to buy something that needs to be triggered, let me know. I'll gladly let you borrow it. Here it is being used in a video below on a C6 Corvette (too bad Mitsubishi doesn't make it this easy)...

I was looking at programmable TPMS sensors on eBay. I see one guy who is selling used sensors for $25/each, and he'll clone (program) them for free. These should work on a Mirage according to Schrader's catalog. Here is the link if you're curious:

Schrader EZ Sensor 33000 Programmable TPMS Sensors

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    ...can the pressure in each tire simply be lowered to trigger each sensor?
    Check out this older Mitsubishi TSB. It specifically mentions being able to trigger the sensors by decreasing the tire's air pressure (see page 6). This TSB is from 2011 and the sensors don't look like those used in the Mirage. But it makes you wonder if this method might work with Mirage sensors?

Mitsubishi TSB 11-31-001 (TPMS)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Check out this older Mitsubishi TSB. It specifically mentions being able to trigger the sensors by decreasing the tire's air pressure (see page 6). This TSB is from 2011 and the sensors don't look like those used in the Mirage. But it makes you wonder if this method might work with Mirage sensors?

Mitsubishi TSB 11-31-001 (TPMS)
    They did this very procedure on my '15 when I was getting intermittent TPMS warnings. All the sensors were fine, they ended up replacing my ETACS unit. No problems since.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    They did this very procedure on my '15 when I was getting intermittent TPMS warnings.
    They registered the sensors in your 2015 by dropping the air pressure in each tire? If so, that's very interesting. That procedure is not mentioned in the Mirage service manual.

FYI for anyone reading this. ETACS is the Mirage's TPMS computer, which is separate from the car's ECM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    They registered the sensors in your 2015 by dropping the air pressure in each tire? If so, that's very interesting. That procedure is not mentioned in the Mirage service manual.

FYI for anyone reading this. ETACS is the Mirage's TPMS computer, which is separate from the car's ECM.
    No, my TPMS would go on and off intermittently but my pressures were fine. When I brought it in no TPMS error. They lowered the air pressure to activate the TPMS warning and then refilled the tires but the error wouldn't clear even though all sensors were working and registered. They then ordered a new ETACS. I had to return to the dealer in a few weeks after it came in and they replaced it. I saw the invoice, it was like $800.00. No problems since.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Found this procedure in the Mirage Service Manual for registering sensor ID

"TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR ID REGISTRATION" METHOD
    1.Select "4tires ID Reg. (Change tire PRS.)" and start the tire pressure sensor ID registration.
    CAUTION
    Register all tire pressure sensor IDs within twenty minutes.
    2."4 SNSR ID Registration Do you want to start? Note Finish ID Registration within 20 minutes." is displayed. Then, press "OK."
    NOTE:
    If the ID code registration is not finished within 20 minutes, all the ID codes registered in the TPMS transmitter before will be erased. For this reason, the ID codes need to be registered again.
    3.Decrease the tire pressure to 189 kPa (27.4 psi) or less by changing 20 kPa (2.9 psi) or more, and register the tire pressure sensor ID code of each wheel to ETACS-ECU <vehicles without Keyless Operation System> or KOS&OSS-ECU <vehicles with Keyless Operation System>.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-27-2016)