Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry, been constantly busy today and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I will get to it soon, I promise.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Sorry, been constantly busy today and haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I will get to it soon, I promise.
    No hurry. Thanks for your help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have an Autel diagnostic tool that is a shop grade piece of equipment. Going to see if it can interface with the Mirage's TPMS unit.
    Hey Dodge Aries K any luck with accessing the Mirage TPMS?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm glad you said something because I totally forgot! I plan on heading out to the garage tonight to mess with the Plymouth Sundance I'm working on (the tach driver board needs some resoldering because it's going crazy) so I'll try the scanner then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay... braved the cold for a bit. Sundance seat cleaning came out fantastic from yesterday (had to dry) and the new thermostat works great. It's almost ready to go find itself a new home! Should be a good starter car for someone.

Anyway, after checking all that, got out the scanner and headed to my 2015 Mirage.
    Name:  settings.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  104.8 KB

Says there to register a first set and second set of sensors as well as an ID check. Let's start with that...
    Name:  my sensors.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  98.0 KB

Okay, let's see about adding a second set of sensors...
    Name:  registering.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  81.8 KB

Hit OK and waited for it to communicate with the car and...
    Name:  failure.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  120.9 KB

Dammit! So while it can communicate with the ECU and (probably... didn't try changing it) change the primary sensors the TPMS ECU in the car can NOT support two sets of sensors. What a bummer and a half. I'll experiment more on it at some point when it isn't cold outside and see if that's something that maybe can be enabled with either the Autel or the MMCoding software but I'm going to guess it isn't since I believe the cars with that feature overseas have an option to switch between the two sensors on the MFD on the gauge cluster if I remember right.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-20-2020),Top_Fuel (02-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Cool! Thanks for doing that and posting the images.

Your tool can read the existing TPMS IDs from the computer...

Name:  tool1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  23.9 KB

And it looks like it can register new IDs into the computer by doing an OBDII assisted relearn...

Name:  tool2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  4.3 KB

If a tool can do these 2 things, you don't need to store multiple sets of sensor IDs. You can just do a re-learn every time you change to wheels using other sensors. My $200 Autel tool can't do either of these things on a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Cool! Thanks for doing that and posting the images.

Your tool can read the existing TPMS IDs from the computer...

Name:  tool1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  23.9 KB

And it looks like it can register new IDs into the computer by doing an OBDII assisted relearn...

Name:  tool2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  4.3 KB

If a tool can do these 2 things, you don't need to store multiple sets of sensor IDs. You can just do a re-learn every time you change to wheels using other sensors. My $200 Autel tool can't do either of these things on a Mirage.
    What is the cost of a tool that can?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, this one was $800. But I fix a lot of junk so it was worth it to me to have something like this. I figure that every time I use it to do something I'd get screwed at the dealer to have done saves me about $100. So far according to that logic (not counting playing with the TPMS) I'm halfway into paying it off versus dealer costs to change a setting or look at something.

Not related to the Mirage but I also have a Chrysler DRBII diagnostic tool for the 84-95 OBDI stuff... I bought that used for I think $200 and it's worth it's weight in gold trying to figure out some weird problems I've had over the years fixing up the old Mopars.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll experiment more on it at some point when it isn't cold outside and see if that's something that maybe can be enabled with either the Autel or the MMCoding software but I'm going to guess it isn't since I believe the cars with that feature overseas have an option to switch between the two sensors on the MFD on the gauge cluster if I remember right.
    It's true - the ability to switch between two sets of TPMS sensors has been posted as an option overseas. I have no doubt that your experiment failed because the feature is not enabled. Where to enable it and how are the next steps.

Thanks for giving it a shot, and I look forward to seeing what comes of your work here. I hope you don't mind if I (we) keep checking in on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If a tool can do these 2 things, you don't need to store multiple sets of sensor IDs. You can just do a re-learn every time you change to wheels using other sensors.
    If you have the tool, great. Since I personally don't have this, I would happily pay a fee to have it set up so it doesn't have to be done twice a year and instead just switch the sets through the MID.

I would consider buying one such device if I knew it would do two sets of TPMS sensors on the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    This system is such a pain in the ass. One of the sensors was bad on my '04 Saab 9-3, and has been since I bought the car two summers ago. I decided to wait until I could change out the non-original wheels that came on the car, which I always hated, to deal with it. After looking FOREVER, I finally found the exact wheels that would have come on the car new. Know what I did to make the TPMS warning go away? I just replaced the sensor! The car automatically registered the new sensor and that was that. In fact, I replaced all four sensors just because I had all four wheels/tires broken down and the sensors were cheap. This car is sixteen years old!

I'd love to know why Mitsubishi decided North American customers would not have a need for an ECU that could hold two sets of sensor IDs like they get in Europe. Do they think it doesn't SNOW here?? Does Mitsubishi believe that the weather across the entire country is just like the weather outside their offices in California???