Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange noise coming from my 2015 Mirage DE 5-speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Strange noise coming from my 2015 Mirage DE 5-speed

Hello All,
    I have a '15 Mirage DE Manual. Bought it at 3,000 miles and now it's got 17,000 miles. I noticed a strange noise that just started happening and it's kind of hard to explain.
    I can hear a noise that i can best describe as a power steering pump that has no oil. It sounds almost like a goose call! The noise lasts just a few short seconds and fades away as I start moving. The noise is most evident when I'm backing up in reverse and I put it in 1st gear and start going, while the car is still rolling back just a bit.
    What could this be??? It never did this before...

**UPDATE** I was researching youtube and I found a civic making the SAME noise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJoFhOFlq0

Last edited by eco1.2; 11-02-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eco1.2 View Post
    Hello All,
    I have a '15 Mirage DE Manual. Bought it at 3,000 miles and now it's got 17,000 miles. I noticed a strange noise that just started happening and it's kind of hard to explain.
    I can hear a noise that i can best describe as a power steering pump that has no oil. It sounds almost like a goose call! The noise lasts just a few short seconds and fades away as I start moving. The noise is most evident when I'm backing up in reverse and I put it in 1st gear and start going, while the car is still rolling back just a bit.
    What could this be??? It never did this before...

**UPDATE** I was researching youtube and I found a civic making the SAME noise!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJoFhOFlq0
    Are you not under warranty?

That sound reminds me of a throw-out bearing, a crappy fix. I would try a clutch adjustment too.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Mine does the same thing. So does my girlfriends. Kind of a groaning or moaning sound? It only happens when the car is cold, and backing up in reverse.

I always attributed it to some kind of benign, minor vibration.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-02-2016),MetroMPG (11-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cobrajet - Yes, exactly as you stated and described it! But you hear the noise not in reverse, but when you start out in 1st gear as clutch meets the friction point and you start inching forward. Dealer can't duplicate the problem, because by the time i get there, the car is hot! Have you diagnosed yours? Is it the clutch gone bad?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eco1.2 View Post
    Cobrajet - Yes, exactly as you stated and described it! But you hear the noise not in reverse, but when you start out in 1st gear as clutch meets the friction point and you start inching forward. Dealer can't duplicate the problem, because by the time i get there, the car is hot! Have you diagnosed yours? Is it the clutch gone bad?
    Mine has done it since new. As I mentioned, I think it is benign. I have been working on cars for over 25 years and I think it's nothing to worry about. Just a quirk.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-02-2016),MetroMPG (11-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Mine has done it since new. As I mentioned, I think it is benign. I have been working on cars for over 25 years and I think it's nothing to worry about. Just a quirk.

Took it to the dealer and they heard the noise slightly, but said there was nothing wrong with it...

thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had mine do that a few times over the 2+ yrs I've owned it. Didn't figure it was anything to worry about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine does it in reverse, wish I knew what it was. So far no issues other than the sound.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Mine does the same thing. So does my girlfriends. Kind of a groaning or moaning sound? It only happens when the car is cold, and backing up in reverse.

I always attributed it to some kind of benign, minor vibration.
    Girlfriends are known to make that sound, especially when you have more than one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-22-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Girlfriends are known to make that sound, especially when you have more than one.

Ahh thats it! I did not notice the noise in mine but my wife calls the car for a girlfriend because of the attention it gets If it starts with the sound I know why