Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Mirage is surely a step up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The festiva was a rattle trap. I remember driving one on the freeway in Los Angeles once and it is in no way comparable the the Mirage. In no way.
    I drove a Festiva for 14 years, & I have to respectfully disagree with you. For a little car it was quite solid & extremely dependable. Heck, Consumer Reports didn't even rip on it at the time. Then again, I've lost all respect for Consumer Reports over the years.

I don't mean to offend any Mirage owners. I own one myself. I wanted to confirm Eggman's point that a Mirage comes with a lot of nice feature compared to the cars of the past (1990's) & even today's cars. Some car critics want to compare the Mirage to Geo Metro & Ford Festiva cars of the past. In my mind, that's not a bad thing. Those cars were dependable & economical transportation. I never owned or drove a Metro, but know those who loved the ones they had. The Mirage is surely a step up over these older cars. I would never argue that!

The Mirage is a wonderful little car for the money. I bought one, because I wanted something that was economical & dependable. I enjoy driving it, too! 78 hp for a car this size is more than enough, too! Small cars of the past had way less hp & people still got from point A to point B.

I have some fond memories of old Festiva and driving the Mirage reminds me of those days. I am thankful for that! By comparison, the Mirage does seem like a luxury small hatchback to me. I've only owned my Mirage for 5 months. I am big fan of it. I'm sure that I will be speaking highly of it 20 or more years from now, too!

Have a great day! Life is good!

Last edited by Mark; 03-18-2018 at 02:11 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The new Mirage will get bigger, heavier, more complex, and more expensive. The end!
    I am sticking by my prediction from 2016!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (03-18-2018),Eggman (03-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The festiva was a rattle trap. I remember driving one on the freeway in Los Angeles once and it is in no way comparable the the Mirage. In no way.
    The problem with a lot of these old cheap cars, in terms of people's memories of them, is that they got them as the 4th or 5th owner when the car already had 180,000 hard, abusive, or neglectful miles on it.

My buddy had an '88 Festiva in the late 1990s. It was an LX, so it had luxury features like a tachometer and a cassette player! We drove it all over the place, and I remember it being a pretty solid little car. We worked on a lot of cars together at that time...but never really had to work on that one. The one thing that always stuck with me about it was the exhaust being rusted out! It sounded like a lawnmower.

As far as the mufflers rusting out there is actually a bit of chemistry going on there. Catalyst-equipped cars convert some small amount of sulfur in the fuels that were used back then into sulfuric acid. So the mufflers would actually be eaten away by this acid from the inside out.

There was a lot more sulfur in gasoline 20 years ago than there is today. But now we have ultra-low sulfur fuel, so it isn't as much of a problem anymore.

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have some fond memories of old Festiva and driving the Mirage reminds me of those days. I am thankful for that! By comparison, the Mirage does seem like a luxury small hatchback to me. I've only owned my Mirage for 5 months. I am big fan of it. I'm sure that I will be speaking highly of it 20 or more years from now, too!
    I totally agree with you that it seemed like a luxury small hatchback when I first got it. Hill hold assist, auto stop and go, metal halide headlamps, light sensing headlamps, rain sensing headlamps, six airbags and even a knob to swivel the headlamps up and down. Wow, in the early 90s, such tech would only exist in a flagship luxury German sedan.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

You're probably right!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I am sticking by my prediction from 2016!
    Cobrajet - Your prediction - "The new Mirage will get bigger, heavier, more complex, and more expensive. The end!" will most likely come true!

I feel that would be a mistake for Mitsubishi. It's what car companies do, however. The new Mirage you described already exists. The other car companies are already making those type of cars! Why compete with that? Why bother?

The main thing the Mirage has going for it is that it is a global vehicle. In my opinion, the global market does impact some of these decisions. Thus, the U.S./Canadian view of the Mirage may not dictate what happens to it, because they don't sell enough of them here. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mirage dropped in the North American market & replaced by the car you described. If that happened, the Mirage/Space Star would continue to thrive elsewhere in the world.

GM is a prime example of this. For whatever reason, Buick was well established in China. When GM wanted to downsize, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, & Saturn were cut. If I was in the market for a GM car years ago, I would have headed to Pontiac first. They were the sportier brand. Your opinion & mine, however, doesn't outweigh the fact that there are 1.42 billion people living in China.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Guys, when talking about bigger, heavier etc. remember that Mitsubishi has kind of broken the cycle here, as the mirage name has been applied to larger, more powerful and less tall cars in the past. I'd say that as long as the general formula of economical engine and smaller than most other cars size remains, improvements in future mirages won't be a bad thing. I, for one would love to see the current mirage offered as a wagon like it once was. Keep the same wheelbase, but add rear windows and extend the rear bumper away from the rear wheels a bit. It would make the car heaps better (basically just making the hatch as long as the sedan for cargo room) and it would balance out the weight distribution front to rear.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (07-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    i, for one would love to see the current mirage offered as a wagon like it once was.
    Name:  229366_rendering-mirage-versi-mpv_663_382.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  25.4 KB

:d

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (03-23-2018),bzacon (03-21-2018),Gnarles2 (07-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's literally the most beautiful thing i have seen in my life.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Name:  229366_rendering-mirage-versi-mpv_663_382.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  25.4 KB

:d
    Never knew there was a mirage wagon. Other countries right?

Fake Mirage!

It's a rendering. The guy's website is full of cars like this... although when i tried to go there earlier, all i got was hacked redirects.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)