Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'll just say this, my Micra is 100x more fun to drive, and gets... 100x worse fuel economy than my Mirage. I love my car but my fuel bill wishes I bought a second Micra. But, if it costs me an extra 3 dollars a day to drive in comfort, fine by me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The next gen Micra and Clio are supposed to get a .9l turbo 3 cylinder, which hopefully the mirage gets by proxy. If they built the engine right it should be as efficient or better than the current one while making better power and torque. So everybody keep your fingers crossed that they don't screw it all up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kzelisko View Post
    The next gen Micra and Clio are supposed to get a .9l turbo 3 cylinder, which hopefully the mirage gets by proxy. If they built the engine right it should be as efficient or better than the current one while making better power and torque. So everybody keep your fingers crossed that they don't screw it all up.
    No thanks. I'll take a NA reliable engine that gets the job done just fine over a turbo engine any day. This needs to stay a low cost, fuel efficient, and reliable car. A turbo just would add to the sticker price. Don't change what's not broken.
    (blank signature)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-09-2019),inuvik (04-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not broken is a matter of opinion. I'm really not a big fan of the current engine, it really has a very narrow power band, and consequently a narrow range where it gets economy good enough to warrant the low engine power. Up above 70, which is the speed limit on my local interstate, there are a number of more powerful vehicles that get the same or better fuel economy, while being much more pleasant to drive. I recently drove a 2.0l turbo Passat on a road trip and got 41 mpg's at 70 at about 40ish degrees f, whereas my mirage only does about 38 in the same circumstances. This is in a car that's around 1000 lbs heavier and not as aerodynamic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not broken is a matter of opinion. I'm really not a big fan of the current engine, it really has a very narrow power band, and consequently a narrow range where it gets economy good enough to warrant the low engine power. Up above 70, which is the speed limit on my local interstate, there are a number of more powerful vehicles that get the same or better fuel economy, while being much more pleasant to drive. I recently drove a 2.0l turbo Passat on a road trip and got 41 mpg's at 70 at about 40ish degrees f, whereas my mirage only does about 38 in the same circumstances. This is in a car that's around 1000 lbs heavier and not as aerodynamic.

Yep. Well aware of all that, I did know what I purchased and it's limitations. For those that understand this car and the money spent on purchase, repair, and maintenance, this car is not broke. If you want more, then buy that car. This car was never designed to be a highway mule. No reason to make an uncomplicated car complicated. There's enough of that out there. I hope it stays true to what it is. It may need a visual redesign, but the engine is plenty sufficient.
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 04-09-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    (blank signature)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But why use an engine using outdated engine technology when they could build a modern direct injected turbo motor that is also reliable? It's not like turbo motors are uncommon these days, and there are plenty of them that are just as reliable as the mirage.

I really prefer small cars, that's why I bought the mirage, but it would be impossible to justify buying a new one if the powertrain in it is no better than a 92 civic's.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But why use an engine using outdated engine technology when they could build a modern direct injected turbo motor that is also reliable? It's not like turbo motors are uncommon these days, and there are plenty of them that are just as reliable as the mirage.

I really prefer small cars, that's why I bought the mirage, but it would be impossible to justify buying a new one if the powertrain in it is no better than a 92 civic's.

Simple, because it doesn't need it. It's already selling 3x's as many as Mitsubishi was hoping for. Again, you're missing the point. If it doesn't need that for the consumer it's marketed for, then it just doesn't need it. Adding any of that would increase cost, and it's just not necessary.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well from the sounds of it, the new car is probably getting a Renault/Nissan powertrain, so I guess we'll see if more people are willing to buy the new version versus the old one. I can only speak for myself, but I know I will buy one if the new car is powered by a more flexible powertrain and carried by a decent suspension, but if it's more of the same, then I'll have to look for a new car elsewhere.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dont feel comfortable with little engines with turbos. You might run into the 3cyl Fiesta problem with blown head gaskets.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I dont feel comfortable with little engines with turbos. You might run into the 3cyl Fiesta problem with blown head gaskets.
    Exactly. Anybody who thinks a turbo would be as reliable as non is incorrect. Cruze, Civic, any EcoBoost, CX-7, the list can go on of turbo issues. Look at the Eclipse Cross... it's not any more efficient or powerful really than the Outlander Sport. It's not necessary for an econobox.

(blank signature)