Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To my knowledge, the headgaskets only blew on the very early 3 cylinders due to a coolant leak from the turbo, the later engines didn't have that problem.

Anyway, there are tons of tiny engines running around these days with turbos that have no reliability issues, and Mitsubishis have a a very good warranty anyway. I work as a tech for vw and we have had a 1.4l turbo out for quite some time now, and I think it's probably the most reliable engine we have right now, all the bigger engines have timing chain problems.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I agree, the current Mirage is fine the way it is. I see no need to change it.

Not to raise anyone's anxiety but I've said this before the Mirage is designed for a specific purpose. If a different set of performance criteria is needed, get a car designed for it from the start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-10-2019),Pryme (04-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kzelisko View Post
    Anyway, there are tons of tiny engines running around these days with turbos that have no reliability issues
    This is debatable. I offer the little Ford turbo used in the Fiesta and anything Fiat as examples.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But why use an engine using outdated engine technology when they could build a modern direct injected turbo motor that is also reliable?
    Because it is simple and reliable. Direct injection has not yet been perfected and has caused problems with valves.

As for getting away from this outdated technology I wouldn't mind trying electric or hydrogen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is debatable. I offer the little Ford turbo used in the Fiesta and anything Fiat as examples.
    Yep. I could quote many more. Are they more reliable than old turbo designs, sure. I've worked on many turbo failures before 100k and almost never make it to 200k. I'll take this little design over that any day.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Adding a turbo engines (135 hp) to the Fiat 500 cars hasn't turned around their sales (5370 sold in 2018).

If given the choice between a 1.4L turbo (135 hp) Fiat 500 engine or a 1.5L non-turbo (130 hp) Honda Fit engine, I would gladly choose the Honda non-turbo engine. I find it interesting that a Honda Fit with a CVT is listed @ 128 hp while the 6 speed manual is listed @ 130 hp. Apparently the Honda CVT steals a couple ponies?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Mirage having 78 hp. I've owned three vehicle with less horsepower over the years. I've never felt any were underpowered. If someone wants more horsepower, they really should have bought something else. Plenty of those cars exist in today's market. Making the Mirage like most everything else on the market would be a mistake. The Mirage is affordable, reliable, & economical. Those are its best three qualities in my mind & adding a turbo takes away from all three. Yuck!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    We can speculate till the cows come home (I wonder who came up with that saying), but Nissan is going to do whatever they think will sell the most cars. IMO, that likely means the Mirage will get Versa-ized sadly. It sells way better than the Mirage.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    We can speculate till the cows come home (I wonder who came up with that saying)
    OOooh, I suppose it had to do with a couple of farmers with some time on their hands, all their chores done, some wheat stalks to chew on and a porch complete with rockers and a stunning view of the sunset and their pasture.

What do you think, Ned?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But why use an engine using outdated engine technology when they could build a modern direct injected turbo motor that is also reliable? It's not like turbo motors are uncommon these days, and there are plenty of them that are just as reliable as the mirage.

I really prefer small cars, that's why I bought the mirage, but it would be impossible to justify buying a new one if the powertrain in it is no better than a 92 civic's.
    I used to think like you and bought a 2012 Cruze with a 1.4L turbo. It was a fantastic car on the highway, quiet, competent, and powerful. My average mileage over the whole time I owned the car was over 40mpg, which is insane on a 3,100lb sedan. Then, one of the pistons cracked at 80,000 miles, and that was the end of that.

New technology is great, but it gets even better over the years as they work all the kinks out of it. Clearly there are still a few kinks in modern tiny turbo motors and CVT/automated manual transmissions. After my experience with the Cruze, I wanted something bulletproof. Since Mitsubishi's offering a good-old-fashioned NA engine and 5-speed in a car that gets 50mpg easy, that's what I bought. If they move away from that formula in the future, I won't be interested in a new Mitsubishi anymore.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    We can speculate till the cows come home (I wonder who came up with that saying)
    "Presumably the time referred to is when cows return to the barn for milking. The term has been around since the late sixteenth century. Beaumont and Fletcher's play The Scornful Lady (1610) stated, "Kiss till the cow come home."

Google can make almost anyone seem smart, even me!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-10-2019)