Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    We can speculate till the cows come home (I wonder who came up with that saying), but Nissan is going to do whatever they think will sell the most cars. IMO, that likely means the Mirage will get Versa-ized sadly. It sells way better than the Mirage.
    "Renault owns 43.4 percent of Nissan, while Nissan owns 15 percent of Renault, with no voting rights in a partnership that began in 1999. Since 2016, Nissan has held a 34 percent controlling stake in its smaller Japanese rival, Mitsubishi." Nov 19, 2018

Someone please translate! If one company owns 34% of another company (who is also partly owned by another company), who calls the shots?

Has Mitsubishi lost its identity or enhanced it in recent years?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    "Renault owns 43.4 percent of Nissan, while Nissan owns 15 percent of Renault, with no voting rights in a partnership that began in 1999. Since 2016, Nissan has held a 34 percent controlling stake in its smaller Japanese rival, Mitsubishi." Nov 19, 2018

Someone please translate! If one company owns 34% of another company (who is also partly owned by another company), who calls the shots?
    From what I've read, the Renault Nissan Mitsubishi alliance a confusing setup. Corporate laws vary from one country to another. I thought a majority stake of 50% or more would be needed for control, but apparently other countries specify less. To further complicate the alliance, Renault is state owned, and probably won't give that up. France would not like to be told how to operate it's business from a foreign entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Has Mitsubishi lost its identity or enhanced it in recent years?
    I'd say Mitsubishi took a disproportionate hit during their fuel consumption reporting scandal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So Vw has been using turbocharged engines for quite some time, and I work on them for a living. We have been using a 1.4l turbo in the jetta hybrid since 2013 and in the regular jetta since 2016(in the US at least, it was around longer in Europe). I have never replaced nor seen a blown turbo, headgasket, or engine on one of those, and I've been with vw since 2013. So just because Gm and fiat can't build a reliable turbo'd engine doesn't mean no one can. And as far as I'm to understand, the ecoboost fiestas are fairly reliable, the only issues I'm aware of them having was the early one's had coolant hoses rupture, which will cook any motor, not just turbo ones.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kzelisko For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (04-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Some of you guys act like Mitsubishi has never built a turbocharged engine. They have a ton of experience building big power turbos. If the next generation Mirage goes in that direction, I would certainly welcome it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    Some of you guys act like Mitsubishi has never built a turbocharged engine. They have a ton of experience building big power turbos. If the next generation Mirage goes in that direction, I would certainly welcome it.
    I have no doubt that the parent Mitsubishi corporation has done some pretty big projects over time, and that Mitsubishi Motors has put out some impressive drivetrains & automotive platforms.

I am saying that I like how simple and efficient this design is. It is an expression of elegance to achieve such efficiency in a simple, normally-aspirated engine.

Any extra parts will certainly increase the cost of purchase. This design is a modern take on basic transportation even though I think it comes with an impressive amount of modern luxuries for a car in this market segment.

I fully appreciate the Mirage for what it is, and I would like to keep it simple. If I wanted a more powerful and complicated car, there are plenty of other such options out there to choose from.

The drive for More Power often boggles me. After all, how much Power do we really need to get around?
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-13-2019 at 08:55 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-13-2019),timw4mail (04-14-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

The drive for More Power often boggles me. After all, how much Power do we really need to get around?

I find off the hop my Mirage is pretty peppy, and certainly moreso than many cars out there, the Mirage being so light. The design is elegant, and simple. Good way of putting it.

Hopefully the new 7th gen 2020, 2021 ?-- Mirage isn't bloated. I could see a new Mirage or Mirage replacement for the compact car segment for Mitsu going CUV a la Ford ecoSport, which I am told first hand are pigs on gas.
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-13-2019 at 09:46 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    If adding a turbo lowered the cost of purchasing a new Mirage, I would be all for it. If adding a turbo improved the reliability of the Mirage, I would embrace it. If adding a turbo enhanced the fuel economy of the Mirage, I would be thrilled.

Adding a turbo to increase the horsepower of the Mirage is of NO interest to me. NONE!!!! I bought a Mirage because it was affordable, reliable, and economical. If I wanted something with more horsepower, other options on the market already exist. I could have bought a Honda Fit (1.5L, 4-cylinder, 130 hp, no turbo).

I am not opposed to Mitsubishi adding another vehicle to their line up that is slightly larger and more powerful than the Mirage, but I don't see the need to sacrifice the Mirage in the process. Mitsubishi needs an entry level car in their line up. Mitsubishi could do a much better job of marketing the Mirage. It's MSRP is set way to high, & some don't look past that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Pryme (04-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn’t mind if they left the design similar to what it is but added an option for a little more power if you want it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed100 View Post
    I wouldn’t mind if they left the design similar to what it is but added an option for a little more power if you want it.
    To be honest, I can't argue against that. Most other cars have a choice in engines.

It makes me wonder if Mitsubishi - or any other manufacturer - could beat this design for fuel efficiency. I have to think there's room for improvement without getting too complicated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    To be honest, I can't argue against that. Most other cars have a choice in engines.

It makes me wonder if Mitsubishi - or any other manufacturer - could beat this design for fuel efficiency. I have to think there's room for improvement without getting too complicated.
    The powertrain (especially the manual version) of the Mirage is what I like best! I would hate to see it change drastically. Since the Mirage/Space Star was offered with a 1.0 L engine in other parts of the world, we already have the bigger engine.

I would argue 78 hp is enough. If Mitsubishi can increase horsepower without sacrificing mpg ratings, I would be all for that. If Honda can crank out 130 hp from a 1.5 L engine without the need of a turbo, there is probably room for improvement. If that improvement sacrifices economy, I would not be a fan.

I really don't get our focus on hp? How much is enough in the U.S.? There are 4WD/AWD vehicles made for the other parts of the world that have less than 100 hp. The new 2019 Suzuki Jimny is considered a mule off road, & its has one 100 hp engine offering. Likewise, the newer Fiat Panda 4x4 is 100 hp. Older Fiat Panda 4X4 had less hp than our current Mirage.

I really don't care for our extreme need for more and more power. It goes way beyond cars. ATV/UTV, riding lawnmowers, push mowers, etc... are way overdone! A person just uses more gas to do the same job. Machines are heavier and bulkier, too! Stupid!