Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Why not?
    Too many gears. I just think a sixth gear is unnecessary, that's all. If the gear ratios had more range, I think it would do fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I suspect 5th is too short on purpose, I've been watching my ignition timing and when you load up the engine at low engine speeds it pulls out all the timing, like literally firing a degree or two after top dead center at times. My guess that's all for emissions reasons or something.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the 5th gear is woefully inadequate. I have some long downhill grades on my commute and a 6th/7th gear would allow me to coast and avoid burning fuel for a mile or two every day. In 5th gear, there's way too much engine braking. As for power, Peak power isn't really what matters to most drivers. Most of the time, you don't want to operate above 3500RPM or so, because it is loud and hard on the engine before it's warmed up. Low end grunt matters a lot more, and the 14 mirage doesn't have much of that. Also, in the manual, revving too high makes the car slower because you have to wait a few seconds for the revs to drop. If there's one car that NEEDS a cable throttle, it's the Mirage...
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    I think the 5th gear is woefully inadequate. I have some long downhill grades on my commute and a 6th/7th gear would allow me to coast and avoid burning fuel for a mile or two every day. In 5th gear, there's way too much engine braking. As for power, Peak power isn't really what matters to most drivers. Most of the time, you don't want to operate above 3500RPM or so, because it is loud and hard on the engine before it's warmed up. Low end grunt matters a lot more, and the 14 mirage doesn't have much of that. Also, in the manual, revving too high makes the car slower because you have to wait a few seconds for the revs to drop. If there's one car that NEEDS a cable throttle, it's the Mirage...
    I agree about the Mirage actually being slower if you rev it too far. When you shift it falls on its face but if you keep it in the meat(what little there is) and shift around 3,500 it keeps momentum much better.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Getting back on topic, is in certain that there will actually be a next generation Mirage and if so, do we know what year that would be? Hope 'the new Mitsubishi' doesn't pull a GM or Ford and kill a good model. Civic and Corolla names have persisted for decades, but the American makes are forever trying to remake themselves with new names. Nissan recently killed the Note. Let's hope it doesn't bring it back again as the 2020 Mirage.

One thing is for sure, they will not likely be another decent 10K Mirage and with all the electronics that are outdated a few years, the next one won't be as "timeless". Depreciation may be heavy on the Mirage, but I suspect it will bottom out and the cars will hold there value well soon. At my current rate of driving, my 2015 should last . . . longer than I will.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    I am not a huge fan of the Mirage's gearing either, but a super-tall overdrive gear in a car with 80-ish horsepower wouldn't make any sense. In reality, it could only be used as an engine brake, as the engine would not have enough torque to keep the car moving in that gear on anything other than a downhill slope.

It is important to remember that these are city cars, and weren't designed for 70 mph American freeway commuting. In fact, they weren't designed for the US market at all.

I expect that whatever new Mirage we see will be updated enough to keep pace with the all-new 2020 Versa, as well as the fresh redesigns of cars like the Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent. Personally, I would like to see the current generation Mirage soldier on for a few more years with another slightly larger, heavier, nicer model being added above it instead of replacing it in Mitsubishi's lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    expect that whatever new Mirage we see will be updated enough to keep pace with the all-new 2020 Versa
    I think it'll be built on the same platform as the 2020 Versa (which is the current Euro Micra platform).

like to see the current generation Mirage soldier on for a few more years with another slightly larger, heavier, nicer model being added above it instead of replacing it in Mitsubishi's lineup.
    That would be cool! Nissan has a well-established history of selling 'old' models alongside the next gen redesigns for a few years after the new one comes out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I think they should just keep the current model for a couple more years but do another tasteful refresh. I mean, the Outlander Sport will at least have 4 faces on the current style. They should do a current design style, but a little less angular. I like the aggressive look but not too much on a small model. Maybe squeeze a few more HP out, but without changing the engine too much or mpg hit.
    (blank signature)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-28-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Too many gears. I just think a sixth gear is unnecessary, that's all. If the gear ratios had more range, I think it would do fine.
    But would it hurt? If a 6th gear was added above the current 5th, it's not mandatory to use it. But when it comes in handy, it's available.

I am not a huge fan of the Mirage's gearing either, but a super-tall overdrive gear in a car with 80-ish horsepower wouldn't make any sense. In reality, it could only be used as an engine brake, as the engine would not have enough torque to keep the car moving in that gear on anything other than a downhill slope.
    That's not true. The CVT on cruise control can run on 2000rpm on the highway. There is no reason a manual couldn't do the same, if the right gear is available.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Right, a high overdrive on the manual may be a pipe dream, but there's a reason all the remaining manuals are going to 6 speeds. It IS practical in more and more markets, as southeast asian countries build more tollways, and Europe maintains it's love for small cars.
    Mitsubishi could do it, but being narrow as it is, they might have to skimp a bit but with so little power, most people will be fine with narrower gear sets.

All that said, I don't think it makes sense for Mitsubishi to re-tool in such a short cycle. The mirage is a commodity, and although it's not very popular in North America, a full redesign before 10 years is just a marketing expense that won't actually entice buyers. Doing maybe 1 more facelift and slotting in a Nissan platform above it is probably the smart money. Having another compact above might cost a few mirage sales to up-sells, but not many. It will mostly just revive the Mitsubishi brand until they all break down because modern Nissans are a bit crap :P I'm sire it will be fine. After 12 years, they can put mirage on the micra platform.