Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    It is important to remember that these are city cars, and weren't designed for 70 mph American freeway commuting. In fact, they weren't designed for the US market at all.
    Oh, I'm not so sure of that. I agree that the Mirage was not designed solely for the North American market. However, I recall much of their early promotions presented the design as a World Car, which would include North America.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    But would it hurt? If a 6th gear was added above the current 5th, it's not mandatory to use it. But when it comes in handy, it's available.

That's not true. The CVT on cruise control can run on 2000rpm on the highway. There is no reason a manual couldn't do the same, if the right gear is available.
    I have a 5 speed manual Mirage, and when I'm zooming along the freeway, going around 100 kms/h in 4th, or 5th gear, the rpm is way lower in 5th, yet fuel economy is about equal. So you would think then that a 6th gear on the Mirage wouldn't make much difference for fuel economy.

They never had a 6th gear in the final edition EVO, and it has more HP than most of the EVO X's Mitsubishi ever built.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have a 5 speed manual Mirage, and when I'm zooming along the freeway, going around 100 kms/h in 4th, or 5th gear, the rpm is way lower in 5th, yet fuel economy is about equal. So you would think then that a 6th gear on the Mirage wouldn't make much difference for fuel economy.

They never had a 6th gear in the final edition EVO, and it has more HP than most of the EVO X's Mitsubishi ever built.
    The reason 5th doesn't help fuel economy much is that the injectors are still on to keep the engine spinning only slightly slower than 5th, at a 20% higher load. If you put in less air/fuel at 3000/4000rpm, pumping losses will slow down the car QUICKLY. Drop that to 2000 or even 2500 and you can shut off the injectors periodically without bleeding off speed on level ground or a slight downward grade.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-28-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    The reason 5th doesn't help fuel economy much
    Thanks bzacon that is interesting, and makes sense. I prefer driving the manual with the higher revving, not for every person's needs for their driving commute.

*Roger there is right bzacon sorry, I think I got your point, but you could clarify your point in more layman's terms more for sure.
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-29-2019 at 02:37 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    The reason 5th doesn't help fuel economy much is that the injectors are still on to keep the engine spinning only slightly slower than 5th, at a 20% higher load. If you put in less air/fuel at 3000/4000rpm, pumping losses will slow down the car QUICKLY. Drop that to 2000 or even 2500 and you can shut off the injectors periodically without bleeding off speed on level ground or a slight downward grade.
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to need you to explain this to me in terms I can understand... I have no idea what you just said. I'm not the sharpest tack in the bulletin board, but I must be missing something here...

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to need you to explain this to me in terms I can understand... I have no idea what you just said. I'm not the sharpest tack in the bulletin board, but I must be missing something here...

Roger
    I didn't follow that statement either? I've been driving various manuals throughout my life, which would go back to my grandpa's old Pontiac that had a 3-speed on the column, and my uncle's old International pickup truck. Thus, it's been decades of manuals.

At this point, I've never owned or driven a 6-speed manual. I like the 5-speed manual on the Mirage. Having said that, the spacing between 4th and 5th gear could be a little better. 4th could be a little lower, & 5th gear could be a little higher. A 5-speed with reverse is a nice shifting pattern for most small cars.

I have owned manual cars with less horsepower than the Mirage, & it could be geared slightly better. If we were driving these cars during the "National Maximum Speed Law (NMSL)" time period, the Mirage is geared perfectly for that.

I feel 4th & 5th gear could have more spacing between them. I notice this when dropping into 4th gear to climb hills, which I do daily. 4th gear doesn't give you that much of a boost. I find myself dropping down into 3rd more than some of my other small cars of the past. I am not comparing the Mirage to a 120+ hp vehicle when I say this. Likewise, 5th gear could be geared slightly higher. 5th gear gives you quite a range of acceleration, & I would be willing to give up some of that for a slight improvement in mpg & lower rpm.

No car is perfect. At least, I have never owned one yet. I really like the Mirage as is. I would tweak a few things, but I would be sad to see the 3 cylinder/5-speed manual disappear. I could live with a 6-speed, but I don't think it's necessary.

Some engines do ok running @ higher rpm. When there was a true oil crisis in the 1970's, lowering the speed limit to 55 mph nationwide was done for a reason.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had two vehicles with 6spd manuals, but neither got Mirage mileage. But in the interest of full disclosure they were a 95 Viper and a 05 RSX type S

Some non- info in this quote from a current U.K.-focused article about Mitsu's SUV plans, but it also specifically addresses the Mirage:

“If you try to build one car for both Asia and Europe, it’s clear you end up pleasing neither,” said a senior source. “It’s either too lowly specced or too highly specced depending on your perspective.

“We have a couple of options. We could look to the Renault-Nissan Alliance for a solution, or we could move towards a battery-electric city car for some markets.”
    You could substitute "North America" for "Europe" in the above quote.

Mitsubishi plans new SUV strategy
    Greater differentiation between three key models, plus EV options, are on the cards

I think the battery electric city car idea is a possibility for some markets, since both Nissan and Renault already have dedicated small EV platforms: the Zoe in Europe, which is smaller than the global Nissan Leaf. I could see a re-badge of a Mitsubishi version of the Zoe for Europe, but not for North America, where short range EV's are being cancelled in favour of cars with much bigger batteries.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-23-2019)

It'd be nice to see some more competition in the ev market. Tesla's are nice but expensive. Something under $40k(cad) would be nice to see. The bolt is small and goes for around $50k here. I do like the Kona. The new 5k federal incentives are gonna help a bit. Can get around $15k off if you live in BC from what I read this morning.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It'd be nice to see some more competition in the ev market. Tesla's are nice but expensive. Something under $40k(cad) would be nice to see. The bolt is small and goes for around $50k here. I do like the Kona. The new 5k federal incentives are gonna help a bit. Can get around $15k off if you live in BC from what I read this morning.
    I can't find the link that quote 47 new Electric vehicles by 2025, so I'll just leave you this one instead.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...by-2025-2018-1

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-24-2019)