Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Handling

Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    I would argue that the Mirage on it's current platform (and moreso on earlier platforms) has already spent a lot of time bordering on being the smallest CUV. Although it has all of the small car cheapness, of other hatchbacks, it has that tall and skinny game going with enough ground clearance to be passable (between Impreza and factory lifted Impreza, which is one of the higher clearance CUV's out there.) It certainly handles like a CUV before you bolt on a shameless plug for a Daox rear sway bar. That said, the cost consideration is valid, unless you consider that it will probably be cheaper to make a couple of stripped back Mitsu trims on a Nissan platform than to develop a new Mitsubishi-only platform that's as cheap to manufacture as the outgoing body while updating for safety. (as a side note, Mitsubishi is already advertising their eevo concept on video screens in old Mitsubishi elevators here in Ha Noi. Loving the sight of all these Tritons, Rangers, Navaras, Kia Bongos and Suzuki Cary police "trucks". All the tiny trucks. Also Kia "New Morning" is one of the prevailing compact cars here, which we don't get to see in the west. This place is a small car spotter's paradise.
    Agree that our Mirage does sit up nice and high for a sub compact. Several things I'd like to see in the next one would be a wider rear hatch with less liftover, seats that fold down flatter and better handling. On that last one, I will have to check out the Doax swaybar and see if that helps. I normally don't drive fast enough to care much about sway, but had occasion to do so last night and was reminded how unsettling our cars can be. Even when cruising along straight ahead, one has to make frequent corrections to stay in the lane.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Agree that our Mirage does sit up nice and high for a sub compact. Several things I'd like to see in the next one would be a wider rear hatch with less liftover, seats that fold down flatter and better handling. On that last one, I will have to check out the Doax swaybar and see if that helps. I normally don't drive fast enough to care much about sway, but had occasion to do so last night and was reminded how unsettling our cars can be. Even when cruising along straight ahead, one has to make frequent corrections to stay in the lane.
    Daox's bar is well worth it. I'm in Porrland... drive my car and you'll see 😀
    (blank signature)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-23-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

According to Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Daox's bar is well worth it. I'm in Porrland... drive my car and you'll see 😀
    All mitsubishi platform will be electrified.
    Whatever that means, looks like the Mirage is no exception

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
    All mitsubishi platform will be electrified.
    Whatever that means, looks like the Mirage is no exception
    Ok. Random.
    (blank signature)

Disagree. I expect the new model will come with a conventional drivetrain.

Hybridizing/electrifying it will raise the price too much and push it out of its entry level mission. North Americans don't like spending big money for small cars.

This year's U.S. sales of the subcompact Toyota Prius C hybrid are only about 1/3 of the Mirage's current sales: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...oyota-prius-c/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Ok. Random.
    Sorry Alex1, I didn't mean to quote you, just to add that latest news I heard last night..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Disagree. I expect the new model will come with a conventional drivetrain.

Hybridizing/electrifying it will raise the price too much and push it out of its entry level mission. North Americans don't like spending big money for small cars.

This year's U.S. sales of the subcompact Toyota Prius C hybrid are only about 1/3 of the Mirage's current sales: http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...oyota-prius-c/
    I kinda disagree too, but that's what I heard Diaz say via Bloomberg TV, listen to it yourself maybe I missed a word in the paraphrasing but he did say all... It is interesting you pointed out the Prius C sales, but Toyota is pretty much set on bringing the corolla hybrid for 2020 - presumably (but unconfirmed) with a modest increase in price tag. The question at hand is will mitsubishi follow the path with a modest increase in price tag.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree that the mirage has serious shortcomings as a hatchback. I remove the bottom seat cushion to allow the seats to fold flat. I he hatch needs to be wider and reach lower, but tthis would add cost and decrease the already poor rigidity of the car's body. I will be the first to admit, I'm a very spirited driver. I burn through tires fairly quickly and I wear out the outside edges from harder cornering n the engineers expected. I did the same thing in my last car (Accord) which was sporty compared to the mirage. Given that context, understand my full meaning when I advocate the Daox rear sway bar. I haven't broken it yet, so it's well enginerded, and it puts the car on rails compared to stock. I'm planning to have my summer tires (directionals) re-mounted on opposite sides for next summer, just to even out the tread wear before they die.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

2020 Mirage may debut in ~6 months

Speculation is firming up that the car is sharing the Clio / Micra platform, and will debut later this year:

All-new Mitsubishi Mirage might come before 2019 ends

Next-gen Mitsubishi Mirage to be Renault-Nissan based, as confirmed by COO

Mann confirmed that the new Mirage will be built on the CMF-B chassis of Renault-Nissan together with the European version of Nissan Micra (March) launched 2 years ago.

The launch will take place at the end of the fourth quarter of 2019. It may be the only show off in the Tokyo Motor Show in October 2019. Then, it will be sent to the stage at the Motor Expo in Thailand at the end of November 2019.
    http://www.headlightmag.com/all-new-...thailand-2019/ (via Google Translate)

And

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-...2019-ends.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (02-19-2019),Daox (02-20-2019),inuvik (02-19-2019),Pryme (02-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Speculation is firming up that the car is sharing the Clio / Micra platform, and will debut later this year:

http://www.headlightmag.com/all-new-...thailand-2019/ (via Google Translate)

And

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-...2019-ends.html
    The article states, if I read correctly, that Mirage will be bigger. Let's hope it's not too much bigger. Makes sense that Mitsu would get the Micra in the US market since Nissan doesn't import it. From what I've read, it's a decent little car, so maybe the change will be good. If my local dealer would me a new top level trim car for 10.5K again and consider it. Fat chance.