Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we expect in the next [7th] generation Mirage? Micra platform Speculation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    4WD/AWD manual SUVs choices are shrinking. Sadly, Subaru dropped that option in the newest Forester. Jeep is doing the same with the Renegade. In the U.S., the Subaru Crosstrek & Jeep Compass will stand alone with that option.

Personally, I don't think the Eclipse Cross is a terrible vehicle. It's also nothing special! Unless you are fan of Mitsubishi, what would draw you to that vehicle? Its horsepower (152 hp) is really no better than the non-turbo Outlander Sport (2.0L & 2.4L). It's mpg ratings aren't spectacular. The first time I saw one, I thought someone created a modern Aztek. Personally, I don't mind the old Aztek, but the general public thought they were ugly! Comparing the Eclipse Cross to the Aztek is not high praise. It surely doesn't draw people into the showroom.

In a drag race the Eclipse Cross will beat a Jeep Compass, but who really cares? Neither vehicle is bought for speed.

Mitsubishi offering vehicles that are different may be their best hope for success in the U.S. market. A merger with Nissan may hinder that? A vehicle that looks like a square box would have been more popular than the Eclipse Cross. I would drive a distance to check out the new Suzuki Jimny (if it was offered here). I would not drive a distance to check out something like the Eclipse Cross, because it's not all that different from everything else.

A quirky, small, 3-cylinder car that came across as cheap, reliable (good warranty), & economical got me into a Mitsubishi showroom. If the Mirage had been more like the Yaris or Fit, I would have bought a Yaris or a Fit! Toyota & Honda dealerships are well established. If the products are similar & cost about the same, why would I bother with Mitsubishi?

Mitsubishi best option is to shoot for the markets that are being overlooked by others rather than competing with the most popular ones. They should have kept their U.S. factory or build a new one. Affordable/reliable small pickup trucks would be a huge success! Someone please build them!!!!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    4WD/AWD manual SUVs choices are shrinking. Sadly, Subaru dropped that option in the newest Forester. Jeep is doing the same with the Renegade. In the U.S., the Subaru Crosstrek & Jeep Compass will stand alone with that option.

Personally, I don't think the Eclipse Cross is a terrible vehicle. It's also nothing special! Unless you are fan of Mitsubishi, what would draw you to that vehicle? Its horsepower (152 hp) is really no better than the non-turbo Outlander Sport (2.0L & 2.4L). It's mpg ratings aren't spectacular. The first time I saw one, I thought someone created a modern Aztek. Personally, I don't mind the old Aztek, but the general public thought they were ugly! Comparing the Eclipse Cross to the Aztek is not high praise. It surely doesn't draw people into the showroom.

In a drag race the Eclipse Cross will beat a Jeep Compass, but who really cares? Neither vehicle is bought for speed.

Mitsubishi offering vehicles that are different may be their best hope for success in the U.S. market. A merger with Nissan may hinder that? A vehicle that looks like a square box would have been more popular than the Eclipse Cross. I would drive a distance to check out the new Suzuki Jimny (if it was offered here). I would not drive a distance to check out something like the Eclipse Cross, because it's not all that different from everything else.

A quirky, small, 3-cylinder car that came across as cheap, reliable (good warranty), & economical got me into a Mitsubishi showroom. If the Mirage had been more like the Yaris or Fit, I would have bought a Yaris or a Fit! Toyota & Honda dealerships are well established. If the products are similar & cost about the same, why would I bother with Mitsubishi?

Mitsubishi best option is to shoot for the markets that are being overlooked by others rather than competing with the most popular ones. They should have kept their U.S. factory or build a new one. Affordable/reliable small pickup trucks would be a huge success! Someone please build them!!!!
    They might bring the little venerable Triton to the US. That would give the Ford Ranger a run for its money. Rumor mill has it the Lancer EVO is making a comeback. If you watch the Fast and Furious films, you'll notice one of the hero cars are almost always a Lancer EVO. I agree Mitsu has to dominate the niche market. Honda, Toyota, those manufacturers simply have no balls, they make great reliable cars for grandma. Mitsubishi needs to make cars for the renegade scoundrel uncle, whose a loose cannon eith nothing to lose. Plus Mitsu IMO has the best badge symbol handsdown. 3 Diamond acorns.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree, Mitsubishi needs to stay niche because they can never compete against Honda and Toyota at their game. Keep in mind, the Triton is not small, and neither is the returning ranger. Both have become massive. Still good vehicles, but smallness is not possible for Americanarket trucks because of the 25% tariff on cargo vehicles. Small trucks are built in Japan, Thailand, and Vietnam, because that's where the market demand overlaps with the tax incentives for small vehicles. Until we repeal chicken tax, anything small like the Mitsubishi Canter is a pipe dream, and even the Triton is a long shot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    I agree, Mitsubishi needs to stay niche because they can never compete against Honda and Toyota at their game. Keep in mind, the Triton is not small, and neither is the returning ranger. Both have become massive. Still good vehicles, but smallness is not possible for Americanarket trucks because of the 25% tariff on cargo vehicles. Small trucks are built in Japan, Thailand, and Vietnam, because that's where the market demand overlaps with the tax incentives for small vehicles. Until we repeal chicken tax, anything small like the Mitsubishi Canter is a pipe dream, and even the Triton is a long shot.
    Even before it was released, Ford realized consumers still wanted something smaller than the new Ranger. A small pickup like the old Ranger or Chevy S10 would be popular again (provided they are priced way under the overpriced, full-sized trucks).

Mitsubishi had a factory in Normal, Illinois at one time. If that plant was cranking out small pickup today, Mitsubishi would already be well-established in the U.S. market. Mitsubishi produces a decent product, & they have the potential to be better! Sadly, they lack good leadership. It's also unclear what the merger with Renault/Nissan will do? It's didn't do much for Nissan's reputation in my mind. I wouldn't even bother looking at a Nissan product at this point.

I don't see Mitsubishi building a small pickup truck here, but someone should!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I like your thinking, but don't forget that even a small slice of the massive crossover pie probably means a lot more money than a little niche pie Mitsubishi can keep all to itself.

Still, I think Mitsubishi could really benefit from a halo car, like Chevy's Corvette, Nissan's GT-R, Honda/Acura's NSX, etc. They don't have anything for anyone (except us fuel economy nerds) to get excited about. Whenever the subject of cars comes up and I tell someone I drive a Mitsubishi, they get a puzzled look as they try and think what Mitsubishi sells these days. Nothing comes to mind. The brand isn't on anyone's radar anymore.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    I like your thinking, but don't forget that even a small slice of the massive crossover pie probably means a lot more money than a little niche pie Mitsubishi can keep all to itself.

Still, I think Mitsubishi could really benefit from a halo car, like Chevy's Corvette, Nissan's GT-R, Honda/Acura's NSX, etc. They don't have anything for anyone (except us fuel economy nerds) to get excited about. Whenever the subject of cars comes up and I tell someone I drive a Mitsubishi, they get a puzzled look as they try and think what Mitsubishi sells these days. Nothing comes to mind. The brand isn't on anyone's radar anymore.
    Art imitating lifeName:  th.jpeg-3.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  20.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post

I agree with you, too! Mitsubishi could/should expand their line up, but I am not convinced wedging a crossover between their existing SUVs was the best move. They have to many other voids in their line up. Personally I don't mind the Eclipse Cross, but I like the Outlander & Outlander Sport better.

The Eclipse Cross is in its second year, and the other two models are still outselling it.

2019 Sales (Jan.-April)
    Outlander = 16,943
    Outlander Sport = 13,925
    Eclipse Cross = 9,917

Did the Eclipse Cross bring in new Mitsubishi buyers or just take some sales from the other two models?

I buy manuals. It's always been my first sort when looking for a vehicle. Thus, very little excites me these days!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Next gen Mirage design

During the 2019 Tokyo Motor Show [which took place last week], we sat down with Mitsubishi Motors designer Tsunehiro Kunimoto ...

[...]

Mitsubishi Motors Corporation's division manager of design said that the [next-generation] Mirage will look dramatically different from the ones we see on the roads today. However, he did drop a hint: he says it will have the Dynamic Shield design. The Dynamic Shield look is the one you've been seeing on the current Xpander, Montero Sport and Strada, as well as the Eclipse Cross and facelifted ASX [Outlander Sport in the U.S.].
    Source: Mitsubishi designer says next Mirage will look more like the Xpander
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 10-29-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: (copied from other thread)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bloodehunter For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-29-2019)

Unveiling coming up?

Thanks for that link, bloodehunter.

Interesting that the article also suggests we're going to see the next-gen Mirage soon. The current generation Mirage was unveiled for ASEAN countries at the 2011 Thailand International Motor Expo. The 2019 version of that show is at the end of November. In 4 weeks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Name:  Screenshot_20191029-205652.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  84.0 KB

Saw it on Instagram, mirage with dynamic shield face. Is it real or photoshopped?

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FreeYourSOUL For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (10-29-2019),Cobrajet (10-29-2019),Daox (10-29-2019),Fudge (10-29-2019),Fummins (10-29-2019),MetroMPG (10-29-2019),Top_Fuel (10-29-2019),Tuques (11-03-2019)