Thread: New wheels...TMPS light is on

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New wheels...TMPS light is on

I bought new wheels from Tirerack and new tires from Costco. Costco installed the new wheels and tires along with new TPMS sensors and valve stems. First day of driving with the new wheels was fine, but on day 2, the TMPS light came on.

I took it back to Costco, and I was told that I'd have to take it to the dealer to get the light reset since they don't have the Mitsubishi tool. I don't want to do this because I hate my local dealer. Has anyone tried using this reset tool to reset their TMPS light?

Also, if anyone has other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    There's an active thread that discusses this: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors
    It's a bit of a read but you might find your answer there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    There's an active thread that discusses this: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors
    It's a bit of a read but you might find your answer there.
    Thank you sir...will take a look

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    That tool will not clear an error code. In fact, it does nothing AT ALL with the Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    That tool will not clear an error code. In fact, it does nothing AT ALL with the Mirage.
    Thought I just saw that in the other thread...thanks for confirming. Is our only option the dealer? I didn't see anything else that seemed to work in that other thread.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by x75x View Post
    ...Is our only option the dealer?
    Short answer: Yes...you'll have to go to the dealer.

Aftermarket TPMS tools do not seem to work with a Mirage...even when the manufacturer claims they do.

I have run across a couple of tire shops who swore they had an advanced TPMS tool to do Mitsubishis. But when they took a crack at doing my Mirage, their tool also did not work.

The only option besides the dealer is for you to buy programmable TPMS sensors and have them 'cloned' so they have the same ID numbers that your factory sensors have. But you already have replacement sensors installed, so that's not a cost-effective option at this point.

Pay the $80-$100 at the dealer and you'll be good to go.

By the time you need TPMS sensors again, we will have figured out a cheaper way to do this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Short answer: Yes...you'll have to go to the dealer.

Aftermarket TPMS tools do not seem to work with a Mirage...even when the manufacturer claims they do.

I have run across a couple of tire shops who swore they had an advanced TPMS tool to do Mitsubishis. But when they took a crack at doing my Mirage, their tool also did not work.

The only option besides the dealer is for you to buy programmable TPMS sensors and have them 'cloned' so they have the same ID numbers that your factory sensors have. But you already have replacement sensors installed, so that's not a cost-effective option at this point.

Pay the $80-$100 at the dealer and you'll be good to go.

By the time you need TPMS sensors again, we will have figured out a cheaper way to do this.
    Ugh, that's a bummer. I was going to call Pep Boys tomorrow to see if their TMPS service would do the trick, but I don't have high hopes.

I hate giving money to the dealer, but I guess that's what I'll be doing this weekend...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by x75x View Post
    I was going to call Pep Boys tomorrow to see if their TMPS service would do the trick...
    It won't hurt to try. Maybe you'll get lucky. Just make sure they won't charge you if their tool doesn't work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)