Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Problem with 2015 Mirage (CVT Solenoids?)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Serious Problem with 2015 Mirage (CVT Solenoids?)

Hey guys,

I purchased my 2015 Mirage 2 weeks ago with 28,xxx miles on the odometer. I drove it about 800 miles already and love it! I immediately hooked up my bluetooth OBD scanner so I could start logging information to help driving more economically and I noticed it said "15,643 miles driven since last fault code clear." I shrugged it off until yesterday.

I stopped my car to get a drink from the store and when I turned it on, the check engine light, ABS light, traction control light, and traction control off lights all came on. Additionally, the "D" on gauge cluster was flashing. The car also would not go above 30mph. I quickly read the codes and got 2.

U0001 High Speed CAN Communication Bus
    P0796 Pressure Control Solenoid 'C' Stuck On

I was 1 mile from work and decided to try to limp it there. The problem is, my work is up a hill. As soon as I got to the hill, the car wouldn't move at all. I could tell the transmission wasn't even engages. That's when a third code popped up:

P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction.

Clearly a wiring issue I thought. However, I cleared the codes and the car drove absolutely flawlessly. I drove it home after work with absolutely no problems, then drove it to work again today with no problems... until I stopped at another store to get lunch on my way to work. That's when the first two codes popped up again at start up. Same symptoms. Oddly enough, I cleared the codes again and the car drove fine to work and then back home (20 mile commute.)

Transmission fluid is clean and not burnt. It is also at the correct level.

I'm planning on bringing it the shop that my warranty is from or the dealer on Monday, but has anyone ever heard of a similar problem to this? I was a mechanic for 6 years prior to my career change, but I never really messed with transmissions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_Is_Edge View Post
    Hey guys,

I purchased my 2015 Mirage 2 weeks ago with 28,xxx miles on the odometer. I drove it about 800 miles already and love it! I immediately hooked up my bluetooth OBD scanner so I could start logging information to help driving more economically and I noticed it said "15,643 miles driven since last fault code clear." I shrugged it off until yesterday.

I stopped my car to get a drink from the store and when I turned it on, the check engine light, ABS light, traction control light, and traction control off lights all came on. Additionally, the "D" on gauge cluster was flashing. The car also would not go above 30mph. I quickly read the codes and got 2.

U0001 High Speed CAN Communication Bus
    P0796 Pressure Control Solenoid 'C' Stuck On

I was 1 mile from work and decided to try to limp it there. The problem is, my work is up a hill. As soon as I got to the hill, the car wouldn't move at all. I could tell the transmission wasn't even engages. That's when a third code popped up:

P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction.

Clearly a wiring issue I thought. However, I cleared the codes and the car drove absolutely flawlessly. I drove it home after work with absolutely no problems, then drove it to work again today with no problems... until I stopped at another store to get lunch on my way to work. That's when the first two codes popped up again at start up. Same symptoms. Oddly enough, I cleared the codes again and the car drove fine to work and then back home (20 mile commute.)

Transmission fluid is clean and not burnt. It is also at the correct level.

I'm planning on bringing it the shop that my warranty is from or the dealer on Monday, but has anyone ever heard of a similar problem to this? I was a mechanic for 6 years prior to my career change, but I never really messed with transmissions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I would suspect the OBDII scanner you plugged in is causing the issues. I have one also and as soon as I plugged it in I got a bunch of codes. Cleared them and threw the scanner in the garbage. No further problems since. You are still under warranty so if clearing them and not plugging the scanner back in doesn't solve the problem then definitely schedule a trip to the dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    BE SURE to remove that scanner before you take it to the dealership. If you don't they may not cover the reset.

Major problems like this are very rare on these cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello JJ Is Edge, and welcome to the forum.

Save yourself some time and a trip to your dealer - disconnect your OBD II bluetooth adapter from your Mirage and drive it for a few days and let us know if that makes any difference. I'm not suggesting you toss it - yet.

Besides, winter is on it's way and you want to get this sorted out soon.

Make a garage entry for your Mirage (Garage empty: add car.) Tell us a little about yourself, and what plans you have for your Mirage. Include some photos. There is also a Fuel Economy log feature to this forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I don't know about these Bluetooth scanners, but my Scangauge is connected constantly and I've never had an issue in my Mirage (or any other car).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    It just could be, water got to those famous connectors...
    see thread "keep your floor dry" or some name like that.
    The famous connectors are behind the left footrest, towards the outside. Check for any signs of corrosion.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I don't know about these Bluetooth scanners, but my Scangauge is connected constantly and I've never had an issue in my Mirage (or any other car).
    Scanguage is a good company that puts out a quality product that takes the time and expense to make sure that the software that reads the OBDII data actually works. I'm not sure what type of Bluetooth OBDII reader the OP used but there are a ton of super cheap readers out there (less than $20, many less than $10). Mitsubishi must use some variation of standard OBDII. This is probably one example of "you get what you pay for". But we won't know for sure until we hear back from JJ.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all the advice and perspectives! I drove with the scanner on for about a week before it happened. That being said, it IS a cheap one, and I removed it yesterday morning. The problem did not happen today. I plan on driving it a few days as suggested to see if it happens again.

As I'm still under both my factory and aftermarket warranties, and the codes pop up as historic faults (along with the fact that codes were cleared 15,000 miles before I had the car), I will take it to a shop in a few weeks either way to see if they can find anything wrong with the CANBUS or CVT solenoids. However, I'm hoping it is just the scanner.

The reason I bought this car was the reliability and MPG. This forum seems like such a great community, I'll be sure to make a garage entry. Thanks again for all the input guys!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JJ_Is_Edge For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Problems like this are not unheard of, but rare. Such instances are usually associated with those bluetooth adapters.

One of the great benefits of forums like this is to document problems and their fix. We all look forward to what comes next for you.

Thanks for chiming in. ALSO let us know if you have any other questions, and the crack staff here will do our best to help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_Is_Edge View Post
    That being said, it IS a cheap one...
    I had similar problems years ago, but with a Nissan Altima. Used the bluetooth scanner for a few minutes and the computer started spitting codes afterwards. Cleared them all, verified that it was the (cheap) scanner, threw it away and bought a serious one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)