Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage Stock Tow Hook Insert (With Pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I see. My car was bought used, this was not included I guess. Thanks.

Any idea on the thread size?
    I'll get it checked for you bud.

(blank signature)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    M24x3.0
    (blank signature)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-03-2016),MightyMirageMpg (12-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    M24x3.0
    That's actually kinda meaty! Great, thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    FYI. I bought a tow hook license plate on ebay "For Nissan 370Z GTR Juke Infiniti G37 Front Tow Hook License Plate Mount Bracket" for $15.55, and it fit my 2015 Mirage. The Mirage and 370z are M24 x 3.0 thread size.
    Last edited by Mizzou55; 07-23-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I use mine often

Name:  20180726_203410.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  100.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been looking for a way to put a European front license plate holder on the front of my 2015 ‘Space Star’. (It’s actually a Mirage but I changed out the name plate on the back hatch.)
    I ran across one that is supposed to let you screw a tag bracket into into the tow hook spot on the front bumper. Now that I have seen that the towing hook slot is to one side of the bumper and not the center, I’m glad I didn’t purchase it. Would anyone know how or where to purchase a proper front license plate holder for the FRONT of the car as I keep finding conflicting information about many of the ones for sell on eBay that state that they will NOT work as a front plate holder because of the curved surface of the bumper. Surely there is a simple, yet inexpensive way to put on a front license plate holder.
    Anyone have any ideas other than using the tow hook, (which would probably look pretty silly with a long European tag off to one side of the car...)?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Related question: Would this tow hook have the strength to support the car if used as a jack point? I realize it may be quite dangerous, but if stuck in mud/sand/snow, if I were to put a hi-lift/jackall/farm jack under this thing and lift the front of the car would it be likely to snap off the hook and/or damage the mount the hook threads to?

It all looks pretty sturdy, though I suppose it is not designed for that direction of force.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also might want to take off the bumper cover to see how beefed up the area around the nut it goes into is before you try that.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Also might want to take off the bumper cover to see how beefed up the area around the nut it goes into is before you try that.
    Thanks. I can actually see down when I pop the hood, and it looks like it is a boxed steel part of the unibody, so pretty solid, but again, maybe just made to be strong in the pulling direction.

I suppose I might just give it a try some day if it comes to that. That said, I've had the car for 6 years now and only briefly been stuck once. I bought tire chains and have never had call to use them either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (06-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Related question: Would this tow hook have the strength to support the car if used as a jack point? I realize it may be quite dangerous, but if stuck in mud/sand/snow, if I were to put a hi-lift/jackall/farm jack under this thing and lift the front of the car would it be likely to snap off the hook and/or damage the mount the hook threads to?

It all looks pretty sturdy, though I suppose it is not designed for that direction of force.
    NO. It's meant to be pulled on not lifted. Buy a portable winch or a come-along.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)