Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mirage Stock Tow Hook Insert (With Pics)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    NO. It's meant to be pulled on not lifted. Buy a portable winch or a come-along.
    Thank you. I hear you, and understand it is designed to be pulled. I have a come-along, but I'm imagining a scenario where pulling it forward or back might do more damage (when mired down in deep ruts), and the best solution is to lift the vehicle and put something under the tires so it can be rolled forward or backward without dragging the low-hanging parts.

Perhaps a better (and much more expensive) solution would be something like the ARB bushranger air-bag jack. That said, I don't really plan on getting that stuck that often, and was more just curious if I could use the tow point in a pinch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Thank you. I hear you, and understand it is designed to be pulled. I have a come-along, but I'm imagining a scenario where pulling it forward or back might do more damage (when mired down in deep ruts), and the best solution is to lift the vehicle and put something under the tires so it can be rolled forward or backward without dragging the low-hanging parts.

Perhaps a better (and much more expensive) solution would be something like the ARB bushranger air-bag jack. That said, I don't really plan on getting that stuck that often, and was more just curious if I could use the tow point in a pinch.

Get a set of Maxtrax and keep them in your vehicle.

https://maxtraxus.com/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post

Any time I have gotten stuck recently (more with UTV than vehicle), it has to do with clearance. The rig gets hung up in the snow or mud, & the tires lose traction. No amount of lifting would help. Tugging it out with another vehicle, winch, or some type of come along is best. In some cases you may be able to wedge a board of some type under the tires to help, but a person is usually to stuck by then.

When we really buried a tractor bad, we would chain a log to the rear wheels to help lift the tractor out of the rut. You couldn't go very far before having to remove it, and it was sort of dangerous to do. This guy snapped his wooden beams, but it was still enough to get him out -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_I8v23wQBU

I probably wouldn't recommend this for a Mirage.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-06-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    When I first saw this I thought great it's for towing but it's not really if you've got a CVT, if you've got one it's for pulling up onto a towtruck only, the book says you shouldn't tow the car using this because the CVT won't lubricate properly or only do it if your desperate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skyblue For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-30-2021)