Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel Spacers Installed (With Pics)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did some stress testing yesterday and I can say without any doubt that the car handles better and is a great deal more stable.

Additional track width plays its part but I think the biggest impact was from moving the over hang weight of the car from outside the wheel to the correct position on top and centered between the wheels.

In my opinion... while cornering the weight out side the wheels increases greatly and uses the tire as a pivot point to reduce traction of the inside wheel. You can notice this while simply driving down the road, with the effects of a cross wind and it causes the car to feel less stable. Once corrected, the weight now seems to transfer to the tire instead of uncomfortably pivoting on it. Before the spacers you could notice even a mild cross wind, and although the past two days here we've had some heavy winds, I've noticed nothing as if the issue has completely disappeared.

Mitsubishi should rethink the factory wheels and add some OEM offset. Cars would look better, perform better, and feel better.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (11-21-2016),Top_Fuel (11-21-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the additional info.
    I will certainly give this a go on my Mirage hatch.
    I may have to find my own width though as I don't know how close the G4 and hatch match up in this area.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I may have to find my own width though as I don't know how close the G4 and hatch match up in this area.
    Check out the pictures of my car in this thread. I don't have spacers, but I do have new wheels. My wheels sit out 1.2 inches further than the stock wheels. As far as the appearance of the wheels is concerned, this is the equivalent of having 30mm spacers on a hatch.

I was originally going to go with 25mm (1") spacers on my hatch, but later decided to ditch the OEM wheels/tires completely.

The funky shape of the car's front fenders make the spacer thickness a tough choice. I'm happy with what I have, but I understand why live4redline went with a slightly less aggressive spacer up front.

Just remember that virtually all vendors will not allow you to return a wheel spacer once you have bolted it onto your car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Check out the pictures of my car in this thread. I don't have spacers, but I do have new wheels. My wheels sit out 1.2 inches further than the stock wheels. As far as the appearance of the wheels is concerned, this is the equivalent of having 30mm spacers on a hatch.

I was originally going to go with 25mm (1") spacers on my hatch, but later decided to ditch the OEM wheels/tires completely.

The funky shape of the car's front fenders make the spacer thickness a tough choice. I'm happy with what I have, but I understand why live4redline went with a slightly less aggressive spacer up front.

Just remember that virtually all vendors will not allow you to return a wheel spacer once you have bolted it onto your car.
    I like the look and stance of your car as well. Had I kept the 2014 Mirage and was looking for new wheels I would go with a more agressive offset like you did. But since the new Mirage came with decent looking 15" Lancer style wheels I will try spacers for their economy.
    I hesitate to be as agressive with spacers as I believe the assembly is weaker than a proper wheel setup.
    Because of this I too will try to achieve the desired look with the thinnest spacer possible though it is a bit of a compromise.
    Thanks again to both of you for a wealth of information. I will try to put it to good use.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    One of the worst thing you can do to a car is to put in these spacer... not only it adds extra sprung weight to each wheel, it will also add extra loads to bearing, and finally it is also not safe compared to directly mounting the wheel on the actual hub...

Now that your wheel sticks up, you are also gonna have affected MPG... I'm not sure what "race car" you were running, but actual "race car" wouldn't run space, they will get wheels with different offset.