Thread: Best fluid you've found for 5 speed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Best fluid you've found for 5 speed?

I've tried lots of fluid in my gearbox trying to find the right stuff that eliminates the notchy cold shifts but offers enough viscosity to properly lubricate and protect. I did not science anything out or ask experts I just drained fluid and started trying new stuff. Silly? Yes! but I don't have a single notchy, crunchy, uneasy feeling or noisy shift anymore. Even the first time I shift into 2nd gear in near-freezing temps.

This was all done on my 2nd transmission, that fealt "ok" but not smooth and consistent like I wanted and would expect it to be.

Factory spec fluid: notchy cold shifts, awesome and plush feeling when warm. 1st gear mesh at about 7-10mph

Factory spec fluid with kendall friction modifier: same as factory, notchy cold shifts, awesome and plush feeling when warm. 1st gear mesh at about 7-10mph fealt no difference with bottle of magic added.

Redline 70/80: similar to factory, feels little thicker, longer warm-up, super plush. 1st gear mesh at about 10mph

Royal purple Syncromax: big mistake. Really thin, took years off my transmission life for sure. Never was plush, always "crunchy" and when drained, the fluid was pretty sparkly. (Brass/bronze colored bits) 1st gear mesh whenever you want, 15+mph

80/90 gear oil: too thick, threw it in to get rid of syncromax. Transmission struggled to shift when cold. Had to be stopped to get into 1st gear. Just sucked driving with this fluid.

Pennzoil syncromesh: this is the stuff I have been using for nearly 5,000 miles, and just now drained my transmission, inspected the fluid, and refilled with new fluid (no shiny bits or evidence of breakdown. Fluid was slightly darker but didn't smell or shine any different than the new fluid) 1st gear mesh around 10-15 mph. By far best fluid I've used, not as plush as factory, but extremely consistent and quality feeling, however, My gut tells me it's borderline too thin.

What's everyone else using that you've seen an improvement?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I've been curious about this myself. I found the following a very interesting read:

The Difference between GL-4 and GL-5 Gear Oils by Richard Widman

I've tried to understand the difference between GL-4 and GL-5 oils. Mitsubishi recommends GL-4 for our manual transmissions. This paper advises against using GL-5.

This paper also advises on using the manufacturer recommended lubricant, as they best understand what is required.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Egg,

point noted, however..

I've spent more money jagging around with fluid than it cost me to replace my transmission entirely. In the world of $250 transmissions, and $400 motors I'm simply not concerned with ruining the car. What does concern me is that I've owned nearly 30 year old jeeps with better quality shifting ax-5's which was a notoriously garbage transmission.

I believe if there was going to be an issue, there would have been shiny particles in the oil by now. The royal purple syncromax stuff looked like a beautifully done metal flake paint job after very few miles.

The bottle of syncromesh states its ok for use in transmission with brass parts. I think the term they used was "yellow metals". I was unable to obtain any sort of gear lubricant (gl) rating.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I believe if there was going to be an issue, there would have been shiny particles in the oil by now.
    Yup - that's a dead giveaway.

Thanks for sharing your notes, that's what this forum is all about.

Like you I still want to find the best fluid, and look forward to learning more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, being a lil' too lazy to do a search - what *is* the OEM fluid replacement type specified by Mitsubishi for the 5-speed?
    It's time (IMO) for me to drain & re-fill mine...
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    So, being a lil' too lazy to do a search - what *is* the OEM fluid replacement type specified by Mitsubishi for the 5-speed?
    It's time (IMO) for me to drain & re-fill mine...
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You thanked MetroMPG for this post back in 2014 lol.

It says MITSUBISHI MOTORS NEW MULTI GEAR OIL ECO API GL-4 SAE 75W-80
    Quantity dm³ (qt): 1.6 (1.69)

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owner...smission-fluid

http://www.mitsubishipartsdept.com/o..._MZ320355.html
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-01-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Attachment not showing - can't understand why...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Minihaha (12-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You thanked MetroMPG for this post back in 2014 lol.

It says MITSUBISHI MOTORS NEW MULTI GEAR OIL ECO API GL-4 SAE 75W-80
    Quantity dm³ (qt): 1.6 (1.69)

LOL - now you are really callin' me out as lazy ;-)

Thanks for the reiteration
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

LOL - now you are really callin' me out as lazy ;-)

Thanks for the reiteration
    Sorry - it's funny!

It's hard to find this stuff online. I found the one retailer that offers it and added the link to my post. I don't know - the price might be reasonable ($13.65 at the time...) but after shipping it might cost just the same to get it from your local dealer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's all good - I meant to thank you for the link too, about the GL-4, -5 specification - that was very informative.

ゼロ