Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded after 2.5 years / 33k miles - regret buying this car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They are. Throw a set of snow tires on it and go. Decent mileage for rwd v8. Try to buy a detective car not a marked unit. Marked units are bagged

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

adrew - sorry to hear you're leaving us.

Can't go wrong with a Corolla, though.

It sure does sound like the dealership experience soured you on the car much more than the other issues. No-warranty on the AC because you're in Texas? Was that Mitsu's call or your dealer? That part is just nuts!

You should have told me you were letting it go for $3k! I would have beat their offer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good luck with the toyota.

sounds like you need something a little more upper end than what the mirage could offer. I couldn't imagine owning just the mirage, either.

Enjoy!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonJellyBean View Post
    They are. Throw a set of snow tires on it and go. Decent mileage for rwd v8. Try to buy a detective car not a marked unit. Marked units are bagged
    That's good to hear.

I have a 2008 sentra with 134000 km on it that I was going to give her, but the Crown Vics on the auction sites regularly go for under 3, with less mileage. And I could sell the Sentra for more. If they're better in the snow, it honestly seems like a viable option. The sentra for what it was was not great. I spun it out on the 401 once.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    If they're better in the snow, it honestly seems like a viable option.
    Depends on the criteria. Overall, I would consider a front-wheel drive car is easier to drive in the snow. A rear-wheel drive car performs donuts much better, though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BostonJellyBean (12-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    adrew - sorry to hear you're leaving us.

Can't go wrong with a Corolla, though.

It sure does sound like the dealership experience soured you on the car much more than the other issues. No-warranty on the AC because you're in Texas? Was that Mitsu's call or your dealer? That part is just nuts!
    The dealer wouldn't budge on it or goodwill it. The warranty says that A/C recharges are not covered after 1 year or 12k miles, but are covered after that point as part of a warranty repair (failed part, leaking seal, failed valve, etc). If they can't find a leak (in effect, if they declare the refrigerant to be gone by magic) then the owner is on the hook for the recharge. Same with rock damage to the condenser which is unfortunate but I also understand why I would have to pay to fix that (there was no damage or greasy spots).

I would have been fine paying to service the A/C around year five, but a nonfunctional system after two years means there is a leak somewhere. I was expecting them to say, "Sir, we did not find a leak but we recharged it for you and put some UV dye in the system so we can find the leak. Bring it back in when it is low again and have a nice day." Instead, they said that they checked it out, found no evidence of leaks, that this happens all the time and that they would need my credit card, please, for the $129 charge. There was no offer to troubleshoot it and when I asked about what would happen in a few months when it was low again, got a noncommittal, mumbled response about that we would deal with it then.

I asked a few more times about getting the charge waived and got nowhere fast, so I wrote Mitsu Corporate a letter and got a call asking if I understood the details about no coverage after 1 year / 12k miles (yes, but it can't leak out that quickly if there isn't a warranty issue, I don't care if the dealer can't find the leak) and that it should be expected since the system is worked harder in Texas than in other states, which makes absolutely no sense.

That was when I lost confidence in the vehicle because if something this minor gets pushed off on me, what's the point of buying a brand new car and having the 5- and 10-year warranties if they are just going to weasel out on everything? I'm sure they wouldn't have covered the cloudy headlights, graying trim on the doors or the loose fabric on the seats since they would consider that to be normal wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Good luck with the toyota.

sounds like you need something a little more upper end than what the mirage could offer. I couldn't imagine owning just the mirage, either.

Enjoy!
    The car/size/features/power was fine with me. The build quality, suspension (it got looser as the car aged) and dealer/corporate support were not. I am 100% satisfied with my Yaris and it is not really that different than the Mirage in the grand scheme of things.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    The dealer wouldn't budge on it or goodwill it. The warranty says that A/C recharges are not covered after 1 year or 12k miles, but are covered after that point as part of a warranty repair (failed part, leaking seal, failed valve, etc). If they can't find a leak (in effect, if they declare the refrigerant to be gone by magic) then the owner is on the hook for the recharge. Same with rock damage to the condenser which is unfortunate but I also understand why I would have to pay to fix that (there was no damage or greasy spots).

I would have been fine paying to service the A/C around year five, but a nonfunctional system after two years means there is a leak somewhere. I was expecting them to say, "Sir, we did not find a leak but we recharged it for you and put some UV dye in the system so we can find the leak. Bring it back in when it is low again and have a nice day." Instead, they said that they checked it out, found no evidence of leaks, that this happens all the time and that they would need my credit card, please, for the $129 charge. There was no offer to troubleshoot it and when I asked about what would happen in a few months when it was low again, got a noncommittal, mumbled response about that we would deal with it then.

I asked a few more times about getting the charge waived and got nowhere fast, so I wrote Mitsu Corporate a letter and got a call asking if I understood the details about no coverage after 1 year / 12k miles (yes, but it can't leak out that quickly if there isn't a warranty issue, I don't care if the dealer can't find the leak) and that it should be expected since the system is worked harder in Texas than in other states, which makes absolutely no sense.

That was when I lost confidence in the vehicle because if something this minor gets pushed off on me, what's the point of buying a brand new car and having the 5- and 10-year warranties if they are just going to weasel out on everything? I'm sure they wouldn't have covered the cloudy headlights, graying trim on the doors or the loose fabric on the seats since they would consider that to be normal wear and tear.

The car/size/features/power was fine with me. The build quality, suspension (it got looser as the car aged) and dealer/corporate support were not. I am 100% satisfied with my Yaris and it is not really that different than the Mirage in the grand scheme of things.
    Did you ever try to take your car to another mitsubishi dealer to look at? This types of things happen to any brand if it is a bad dealer. You got your car new? Sorry you left Mitsubishi and Coming from owning from Toyota, buying a good and a bad car is based on luck. Sometimes you got bad apples..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dealer that gave me the runaround was the one where I bought the car.

I tried another one but they wouldn't even look at it on a Saturday (not fix it, just take a look at it and get any parts ordered so we could minimize downtime, getting rides, time off work, etc). You know, since Mitsubishi doesn't give loaners for warranty work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    You know, since Mitsubishi doesn't give loaners for warranty work.
    Yeah, that sounds like a crummy dealer as my dealer hooked me up with an Outlander as a loaner for warranty work.

My dealer is Sunnyside Mitsubishi, and I gotta say I've had a Very Different experience. What (or who) is your offending dealership? That is, if you want to name names.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    That's good to hear.

I have a 2008 sentra with 134000 km on it that I was going to give her, but the Crown Vics on the auction sites regularly go for under 3, with less mileage. And I could sell the Sentra for more. If they're better in the snow, it honestly seems like a viable option. The sentra for what it was was not great. I spun it out on the 401 once.
    You can spin out easier in a Vic. Patience is key

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)