Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Traded after 2.5 years / 33k miles - regret buying this car

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Adrew sold his car in December, 2016 after owning it for 2.5 years. That means it was a 2014 model, and was purchased in mid-2014. The rebates back then were nowhere near as good as they are now, and he didn't get a 'bad deal' on his. When I bought mine in December 2014, the rebate was only $750! I paid $14,083 for it.

His car is also a top-of-the-line ES model, not the base model. The $10k price for the base model 5-speed cars happened last March when Mitsubishi was blowing out the over-produced 2015 models to make way for the new 2017 models, which were introduced in the spring of '15. That price isn't the norm. Base cars are typically seen at around $11-12k right now with factory rebates and dealer discounts. You can haggle your way into one for less, but not too much less.

A dealer near me has a 5-speed SE hatch for about $13k, and that is about as cheap as I have seen one.
    The one I looked at would be a bit over 11 grand. Honestly, I just don't see this as a good value, even in SE Form.
    Damn, 14k.. I know people buying new Yaris Hatches for under $15k pretty easily. Sure, no power windows and maybe a couple of things, but those cars go 400k miles all the time, and are a bit better on road as well as a few other things that would move me more that direction if I had that kind of budget.

Before I even looked at this SE, I saw a few Ads this past week for $11,999 (not even Dickering, Yet). Also there is a few $10,888 DE models available. Decent enough.

I would like to get that car, but I then looked up a 2 year old Prius C with only 19k miles in perfect shape advertised for 12k. Hard to dump 12 grand on a 3 cylinder car for me. As much as I would like to buy a new car and all. I am sure that Prius would go for a very long time and the city MPG is over 48 mpg, about the same for freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    2 year old Prius C with only 19k miles in perfect shape advertised for 12k.
    That would be very tempting. I also don't mind driving the Toyota hybrid CVT's -- more entertaining than a plain jane CVT, that's for sure.

And Toyota has demonstrated the Prius tech is pretty much bulletproof, battery included. It's their most reliable model.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (04-17-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found a dealer selling a base model DE for $10,150 OTD. It is tempting, but I cannot help but want to hold out. Depends on how important speed control is to me? Apprx $500 more for the SE would still fall into Budget. Maybe the incentives will increase?

I still need to check out the G4 to compare before making any decisions, anyway. Have not played with car seats in the back and such. If only that rear seat folded. That is a huge reason I love Liftbacks. Most/at least "many" small sedans use to have folding rear seats, what happened?

They all still do. Only in the G4 do you find a non-folding rear seat back in all trims. (In other cars, sometimes just the lower trim doesn't offer it.)

You can unbolt the rear seatback (easy), remove the trunk liner (easy) and still pass items through.

FYI: speed control you can add yourself too, various ways. I'm sure you've seen the options discussed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For the little difference in price the SE is sooo much more nicely equipped and looks better. A no brainer imo

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some of the reasons you listed in your opening post are reasons that I settled on the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA manual transmission. Got it for $14,004 after discount. Avg mpg over 1500 miles mixed driving is 41.7 not as good as a mirage but close. The iA is FUN to drive and feels of high quality. It gets up and goes pretty well for its class, the 0-60 is about 9 seconds -,+. The OEM tires were great in the deep snow storm we had in Pennsylvania! Could not believe how well this car did in snow! The manual shifter is miata like-short throw crisp shifts. I still love Mitsu: owned 3 of them in the past and would own another but I do like quality in my cars, not sure the Mirage is up to the same Mitsu quality of the past.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just got a quote for a brand new 2017 Corolla LE, $14800. Sounds pretty good. That is $2300 more than the 5 Speed Mirage SE I was quoted recently. It seems most people get 42 MPG. The CVT is not my thing, but I rented one of these once and was impressed with the quality and drivability. I like that the rear seat folds on this sedan. Toyota just seems to make really good cars.

All the same; a left over 2016 Prius C Package 2 was offered for $16,600 before fees. Seeing they get 48-50++ MPG, that might be more worth the investment.

If I could get the Mirage SE for $11,500 OTD, I would seriously consider that. Still seeking better deals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    I just got a quote for a brand new 2017 Corolla LE, $14800. Sounds pretty good. That is $2300 more than the 5 Speed Mirage SE I was quoted recently. It seems most people get 42 MPG. The CVT is not my thing, but I rented one of these once and was impressed with the quality and drivability. I like that the rear seat folds on this sedan. Toyota just seems to make really good cars.

All the same; a left over 2016 Prius C Package 2 was offered for $16,600 before fees. Seeing they get 48-50++ MPG, that might be more worth the investment.

If I could get the Mirage SE for $11,500 OTD, I would seriously consider that. Still seeking better deals.
    You can. I got mine for 11,300 out the door.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  Screenshot_20170418-051120.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  95.2 KB

SE 2017 at just over $10k
    If you happen to be near Cerritos, Ca

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsrlee View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_20170418-051120.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  95.2 KB

SE 2017 at just over $10k
    If you happen to be near Cerritos, Ca
    That says ES right in the description. And it has all possible rebates already applied.