Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any way to reduce 2014 Mirage vibration/engine shake?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    Ok, I found the difference between 2014 and 2015.
    Majority of the mounts remained the same, the only thing changed in 2015 was one of the mounting rod.

2014 - ENGINE / ENGINE / TRANSAXLE / ENGINE & TRANS MOUNTING / Rod / [7] Part Number: 1092A096
    https://mitsubishiparts.net/parts/20...iagram=6214160

2015 - ENGINE / ENGINE / TRANSAXLE / ENGINE & TRANS MOUNTING / Rod / [7] Part Number: 1092A034
    https://mitsubishiparts.net/parts/20...iagram=6214160
    Those are some expensive rods.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

codename: you should add your car to the garage so we know what year/trim/transmission you've got when you post.

Garage empty: add car

The CVT equipped cars tend to transmit more vibration into the cabin in my experience, especially when stopped, idling while in gear (not N via idle neutral logic).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That rod is used to control engine movement on heavy accel or decel or any time the engine wants to twist in its other mounts. It is called a ''Roll Stopper Rod'' and as it is not weight bearing should have little effect on transmitted idle vibrations. That rod should do nothing at idle if I understand it correctly. It is sort of like an aftermarket engine torque damper.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-15-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    That rod is used to control engine movement on heavy accel or decel or any time the engine wants to twist in its other mounts. It is called a ''Roll Stopper Rod'' and as it is not weight bearing should have little effect on transmitted idle vibrations. That rod should do nothing at idle if I understand it correctly. It is sort of like an aftermarket engine torque damper.
    I noticed my 14' has noticeably more vibration than the 15' and 17's at work with way more mileage. I may see if I can swap that mount out one day and see if there's a difference. I'ts only 2 or 3 bolts and 1 min to replace.

I mostly notice it when stopped. I've seen some cars that had gravel jammed up in the suspension crossmember and against the mount causing crazy vibrations while in gear but not in neutral so maybe if it's just crappy material it could cause it to jiggle more.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If you add polyurethane it will stiffen the mount and transmit more vibration to the cabin.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    If you add polyurethane it will stiffen the mount and transmit more vibration to the cabin.
    Wouldn't that be something to find polyurethane engine mounts for this Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I meant swap the mount out from a 15 or 17'. I wouldn't use poly mounts in these things, it'd probably vibrate apart. I haven't searched yet, but wonder why they have that extra damper bolted to the top of the upper rh engine mount in the 14's and not the 15' and 17'?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't searched yet, but wonder why they have that extra damper bolted to the top of the upper rh engine mount in the 14's and not the 15' and 17'?
    I wasn't aware of the difference (mine is a 2015), but having previously added an upper "torque strut" to my car, I can tell you what they were probably going for. The more you resist that rotational torque, the more perceived throttle response you have. Adding a torque strut made the car feel GREAT! (from a performance driving perspective) But, it added a LOT of vibration and harshness. Had I known that there was a stock part available, I may have sought one out! The one I used was an aftermarket piece that was pretty rigid... so much so that the bracket that held it to the shock tower eventually fatigue-cracked and I've not bothered to fix it yet.

Given that so much of the target audience, especially in the US, is more concerned about NVH than about throttle response... maybe they eliminated an upper torque mount of some sort, sacrificing some responsiveness, allowing the engine to move a little more... but, making it much smoother and quieter?
    Simplify and add lightness.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-22-2019),Fummins (11-23-2019)

What I'm talking about is just a little short looking cylinder screwed right to the top of the mount, near where the ground wire that always breaks off is. I'll post a pic tonight. There's probably a pic somewhere around here. One bolt and it comes off. Kinda like those weights some vehicles have on the exhaust to stop them from vibrating like crazy.
    Mirage videos:

I meant this thing Attachment 16093

Mirage videos:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (11-23-2019)