Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Tire- Replacement Advice?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Flat Tire- Replacement Advice?

Some background info in case it's helpful re: tire: I live in Queens, NY and keep the car in a garage overnight and even during some days. Have driven about 5,500 miles thus far since purchasing the car.

I've read a few threads on here about the topic of flat tire/tire size, yet I am not sure how best to proceed with my tire choice. Basically, I got a flat tire yesterday (rear passenger tire; nail and resulting leak, looks like; will replace with new tire after having read about pitfalls of getting used tires and also taking girlfriend's anti-repair and anti-used tire sentiment into account), and I currently have the spare on the car, which is currently in the garage.

Given that a main passion of mine is to get the most bang for my buck, should I spring for the same-sized tire (165/65/14) or should I get a similarly sized tire, such as those listed here (does replacing only one tire with a different size cause any safety issues, by the way?)? Any suggestions for reasonably-priced sources of a new tire in Queens, NY, or should I order online?

Thanks for any insights.
    -Jared

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Spend five dollars, get a DIY plug kit and fix it yourself. Maybe ten.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks, Eggman. I have interest in doing that or having the local tire place fix it, too, but that option's essentially ruled out, as the value is lowered due to the girlfriend having made her mind up that she would feel "unsafe" given what happened to the tire. I haven't successfully told her or shown her anything that would change her viewpoint. I certainly have the option to repair the tire (assuming it's repairable), but it would cause me/her more harm than good, I expect.

Other thoughts re: new tire, in case I need to, in fact, go that route?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm with this guy!

Otherwise you might as well buy a direct replacement, or a set of 2, because you can't (shouldn't) missmatch drive tires, and you need to rotate them to the front eventually

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I'm with this guy!

Otherwise you might as well buy a direct replacement, or a set of 2, because you can't (shouldn't) missmatch drive tires, and you need to rotate them to the front eventually
    Thanks! Does this additional insight help at all: Had flat while out on the town. AAA sent someone. He said he would be able to take the nail out for a fee and pump tire and make it work so that spare usage would not be necessary. I agreed, but then after he tried, he said that, though the nail came out, there was a leak, so he put the spare on. Based on your and Eggman's comments, I shouldn't be worried about the leak, necessarily, right? If I take it to a tire place I trust, for example, and they say it can be repaired, then the girlfriend and/or I shouldn't have anything to worry about?
    Last edited by Yarhead; 12-13-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Me too, I'd plug it if it's not to close to the edge of the tread and you didn't drive on it flat and destroy the inside of the sidewall. Or just take it to a tire shop and get them to patch it. I've never had a plug come out or cause any problems. I'd be broke if I bought a new tire every time I had a flat on my vehicles.
    I had low air indicator on earlier in evening and drove with no problems to my destination. It was when I pulled out that I realized that the tire was flat and made a dragging noise (I should have checked before pulling out; my mistake). Drove on it for about 20 feet before pulling over. AAA originally sent someone to come to put spare on. He said he would be able to take the nail out for a fee and pump tire and make it work. I agreed, but then after he tried, he said that, though the nail came out, there was a leak. So he ultimately put the spare on anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarhead View Post
    Thanks! Does this additional insight help at all: Had flat while out on the town. AAA originally sent someone to come to put spare on. He said he would be able to take the nail out for a fee and pump tire and make it work. I agreed, but then after he tried, he said that, though the nail came out, there was a leak. Based on your and Eggman's comments, I shouldn't be worried about the leak, necessarily, right? If I take it to a tire place I trust, for example, and they say it can be repaired, then the girlfriend and/or I shouldn't have anything to worry about?
    Yes, if you don't have the tools to fix it yourself and the tire shop can repair it, I'd go ahead. Much cheaper than a new tire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I had low air indicator on earlier in evening and drove with no problems to my destination. It was when I pulled out that I realized that the tire was flat and made a dragging noise (I should have checked before pulling out; my mistake). Drove on it for about 20 feet before pulling over. AAA originally sent someone to come to put spare on. He said he would be able to take the nail out for a fee and pump tire and make it work. I agreed, but then after he tried, he said that, though the nail came out, there was a leak. So he ultimately put the spare on anyway.
    So the guy pulled the nail out thinking it wouldn't leak? I'd just take it to a tire shop I guess..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    If I take it to a tire place I trust...and they say it can be repaired...I shouldn't have anything to worry about?
    Absolutely. If the tire is repaired properly, you won't have anything to worry about.

Keep in mind that there's only 1 way to properly repair a tire.
    This is the only way any professional shop would do it these days...

There's a time and place for plugging a tire from the outside as a temporary fix, but ultimately you want it patched/plugged from the inside for a permanent fix. After watching the video, hopefully you'll find that the nail in your tire is in a tread location where it can be properly repaired. Because if it's not in the area of the tread they describe, most shops won't touch it due to liability.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-13-2016 at 07:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Like everyone has said, don't waste money on a new one when 95% of the time that can be repaired.

I personally have repaired many tires, including side wall (my own car, so I took the chance), and it's way cheaper than a change. Most reputable will repair a tire for less than $20. Good luck.

(blank signature)