Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ...Does anyone else think about what rim & tire combo might actually improve on the Mirage fuel economy?
    I wonder about the tires more than the wheels. I wish there was a rating system for low rolling resistance tires in the US. In other words, we can't compare the efficiency of 2 different car tires that are classified as LRR. On a side note...there is a rating system for commercial truck tires!?!

Enasaves are generally considered the most efficient low rolling resistance option. But after seeing the mileage I'm getting from 15" Bridgestone Ecopias, I'm thinking that there could be better LRR options out there...even if it means going to a larger wheel.

Are you guys familiar with European tire labels? In Europe, every tire comes with a special label that rates it from A-G on fuel efficiency and wet traction. You can read more about them HERE. This might be the only way we have to directly compare 2 LRR tires against eachother.

Name:  tire_label.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  54.6 KB

It would be interesting to see how Enasaves are rated in Europe as opposed to some other mainstream LRR tires like Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, etc. I haven't had much luck trying to do this by surfing European tire websites. I wonder if there's something like the Tire Rack in Europe?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-06-2017),Eggman (01-06-2017),inuvik (01-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Are you guys familiar with European tire labels? In Europe, every tire comes with a special label that rates it from A-G on fuel efficiency and wet traction.
    Thanks for sharing, this is new to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Is it possible to add a weight column?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    Is it possible to add a weight column?
    Yes, it is. I didn't include it for a few reasons:
    1. Space is limited. I want to avoid a chart that one has to scroll left and right to see all the fields.
    2. Availability. I couldn't find weight on any of the rims, with the exception of what was provided by Top Fuel.
    3. Focus. When I set out on this venture, including weight just wasn't on my radar. I was more interested in the range of vehicles and the various alloy rims available that should fit the Mirage.

That being said - if you happen to know the weight of any particular rim, please submit the info with a link and I'll try to get it included. Same with any model vehicles that anyone wants to see included - just be sure to include a link for reference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-11-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ...When I set out on this venture, including weight just wasn't on my radar.
    Now that I have looked at your chart, I'm thinking that adding another column might be too much. And the reality is we will probably never know the weight of most of those wheels...so 90% of the weight column will be blank anyway. It's probably more important to note the few wheels that are unusually light for their size (like the Mini Imola). The chart is very cool!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-12-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Is there a way to calibrate the speedometer after changing wheel size?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoboxer View Post
    Is there a way to calibrate the speedometer after changing wheel size?
    Yes, I understand this is possible through ETACS.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A question in regards to center bore size - the Mirage shows 56.1mm. I assume getting a wheel with a center bore smaller than that would not work. But a wheel with a larger bore size, do you have to get an adapter ring or something?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ISP_guy View Post
    A question in regards to center bore size - the Mirage shows 56.1mm. I assume getting a wheel with a center bore smaller than that would not work. But a wheel with a larger bore size, do you have to get an adapter ring or something?
    Is better to get the hub ring adapter. They are cheap anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand the rings are not needed.