Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble with rear brake drums (can't get drum back on after changing brake shoes)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Trouble with rear brake drums (can't get drum back on after changing brake shoes)

I have a 2013 mirage and have replaced the rear brake pads (drum) but cannot get the pads to sit flush in the hub and cannot get the outer rotor/ hub onto the shaft? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmirage View Post
    I have a 2013 mirage and have replaced the rear brake pads (drum) but cannot get the pads to sit flush in the hub and cannot get the outer rotor/ hub onto the shaft? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
    Did you loosen the nut on the adjustment for E-Brake on the center console?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    EDIT - For anyone searching for an answer to this problem, see THIS thread.

Did you replace the shoes on both rear brakes? In other words, did you leave one of the rears untouched so you can use it as a reference for what it's supposed to look like? It's easy to put drum brakes back together with a spring on backwards or something.

Don't know if this helps...but here's a pic of my 2015 rear drum brakes (rear passenger side) when my car was new...

Name:  IMG_2720.jpg
Views: 13598
Size:  91.6 KB

It sounds like what you are saying is that the shoes are adjusted out too far and you can't get the drums to fit over the new shoes?
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-10-2022 at 03:10 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-28-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    You need to reset the auto adjuster (silver metal thats below the brake cylinder) and reset also the e-brake 10mm nut so that the new brake shoes sits flush.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NaimaRaiko View Post
    You need to reset the auto adjuster (silver metal thats below the brake cylinder) and reset also the e-brake 10mm nut so that the new brake shoes sits flush.
    from behind:

Name:  adjuster assy.jpg
Views: 6682
Size:  24.4 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I remember trying to find this when I first bought my car...and I couldn't quite figure it out.

The red arrow below is pointing to the auto adjuster...

Name:  brakes.jpg
Views: 8579
Size:  88.4 KB

The "adjuster check hole" must be on the backing plate?

I've googled this brake setup to death and can't find any further explanation, pics, video, etc. This is not a common setup in the US. So if someone actually gets this to work, be sure to post a pic or give us a little more detail on exactly how to do this!

edit - Here's a pic from a different angle. Maybe it's starting to make sense now. I think I will try this the next time I have my car in the air...

Name:  brakes.jpg
Views: 8216
Size:  87.7 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-05-2017 at 01:22 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This is not a common setup in the US.
    I think it's clever.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    At first I also did try resetting the auto adjuster at the rear as illustrated but after fiddling I find it easiest just to stick a flat head screw driver in between the geared parts of the adjuster then just twist to release tension & that will reset the shoes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NaimaRaiko For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aftermarket shoes might not fit because the lining is too thick. I had to grind away metal from the bottom inner seating surface of each shoe (blue arrows) to make them fit. For the Bosch BS1059 that fits the 2014-2015 Mirages with the flat auto adjuster I needed to remove about 0.4 mm from the seating surface on each shoe so that the shoes would have a smaller diameter. The auto adjuster also needed be be fully retracted. The parking brake cable had to be loosened completely so that the parking brake lever attached to the shoe was flush with it. I also had to sand the outer edge of the drum ID running surface because it rusted and became a smaller diameter as a result. Even after I completed all of this, I still needed to force the drum onto the shoes to get the drum over them so that the drum was flush with the backing plate. This is the price you pay for aftermarket garbage from China. Next time OEM Mitsubishi even though the price is triple. Name:  rear brake assembly.jpg
Views: 6466
Size:  86.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by thx1138guy; 06-01-2020 at 11:49 PM. Reason: revise text

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thx1138guy For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-02-2020),MetroMPG (06-28-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thx1138guy View Post
    Next time OEM Mitsubishi even though the price is triple. Name:  rear brake assembly.jpg
Views: 6466
Size:  86.1 KB
    Raybestos shoes fit fine when I did mine, other than the hole for the parking brake lever being a few thousandths too small.