Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trouble with rear brake drums (can't get drum back on after changing brake shoes)

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post
    The AutoZone drums arrived and unfortunately, they do not have the bearings or studs. The online picture clearly shows them. Kind of misleading. I will check my drums soon, and hopefully they are still good.
    I recently saw the AutoZone drums and was going to order them after encountering a similar issues with Rock Auto Centric drums.

I recently (05/18/2021) purchased Rock Auto Centric drums, part number 12246026 and they arrived as bare drums. Buyers beware! Rock Auto made it nearly impossible to get any customer service or to report the problem and get any sort of resolution. The pictures online clearly show it as a complete assembly with studs, bearings, c-clip, ABS ring, etc. But when i tried submitting pictures for missing parts to Rock Auto the website got stuck in a loop and i was not able to proceed with a claim. The only resolution i was able to get was a refund or store credit but I have to pay for shipping back. WTF?! This is false advertisment and rip off in my opinion, I'm beyond pissed.

Attachment 21241

Attachment 21242

Attachment 21243

Last edited by davidricardo86; 05-25-2021 at 06:27 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    I recently saw the AutoZone drums and was going to order them after encountering a similar issues with Rock Auto Centric drums.

I recently (05/18/2021) purchased Rock Auto Centric drums, part number 12246026 and they arrived as bare drums. Buyers beware! Rock Auto made it nearly impossible to get any customer service or to report the problem and get any sort of resolution. The pictures online clearly show it as a complete assembly with studs, bearings, c-clip, ABS ring, etc. But when i tried submitting pictures for missing parts to Rock Auto the website got stuck in a loop and i was not able to proceed with a claim. The only resolution i was able to get was a refund or store credit but I have to pay for shipping back. WTF?! This is false advertisment and rip off in my opinion, I'm beyond pissed.

Attachment 21241

Attachment 21242

Attachment 21243
    You going to try the other 2 they got listed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You going to try the other 2 they got listed?
    I don't have much choice. At this point I'm not sure what to order. The auto parts ads are misleading and untrustworthy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-26-2021)

Me too me too!

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138guy View Post
    Aftermarket shoes might not fit because the lining is too thick. I had to grind away metal from the bottom inner seating surface of each shoe (blue arrows) to make them fit.... This is the price you pay for aftermarket garbage from China. Next time OEM Mitsubishi even though the price is triple. Attachment 18146
    I just re-assembled the new shoes on Mirage #3, and I'm in the same boat.

- self-adjustment backed all the way off
    - parking brake adjustment nut backed all the way off

And I still can't get the drum on - needs to retract another 1 mm or so on each side to clear

I'm going to have to take it apart and hit the shoes with a file or grinder.

I vaguely recall having to do the same thing with Mirage #1, though I apparently didn't make a note of it (couldn't find it anyway).

Parts are Chinese-made from Canadian Tire. Some brand I've never heard of before...

Name:  20210628_150713.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  95.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-01-2021)

Done!

Happily, I didn't have to take the whole works apart -- just had to remove the bottom 2 springs to swing the shoes out enough to grind them. Took about 1.5 mm off the lower pivot/contact area from each side.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know it has been a few months, but did you ever find out whether any of the other Rock Auto drums came with the bearings, etc.?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ylmir View Post
    ...did you ever find out whether any of the other Rock Auto drums came with the bearings, etc.?
    Start reading here. The last guy who ordered Centric drums (#12346026) from Rockauto.com last month got complete drum assemblies.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-13-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I just watched a video of a guy grinding on a set of new (aftermarket) brake shoes for a 2014 Mirage. The drums wouldn't fit on using Wagner brake shoes. I didn't think anybody had to do this before...then I remembered this thread.

One other thing I noticed in that video. Maybe you guys already knew this...but I didn't. AutoZone now sells ready-to-install brake drums. These are the drums shown in that video...

Name:  Duralast_77510_Drums.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  82.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-15-2023),strawboss (11-12-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    One other thing I noticed in that video. Maybe you guys already knew this...but I didn't. AutoZone now sells ready-to-install brake drums. These are the drums shown in that video...
    Auto Zone is always the first place I check for Mirage parts.

FYI - A 2017+ rear brake drum is a different part # & price (Duralast Brake Drum 77509 for $91.49).

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...eVehicle=false
    Last edited by Mark; 02-16-2023 at 04:42 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-16-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    ugh. my 2017 needs rear shoes, dunno why, 42,000 mostly hiway miles. Figures I have 2 sets of 2014 rear drums, front rotors and pads. I DO have 2017 rear shoes and front pads, no drums or rotors. I recall now thinking my 2014 would need service sooner than the 17 so I bought 14 parts when I got good deals on them.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)