Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Heater Installation (OEM cartridge style 400w)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Awesome thanks!! will head to Canadian tire today

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Got mine installed this weekend. Super easy job. Got to 4.7l this morning in about 7 min of driving. Wasnt too cold this morning though. Just about at 0c. Needless to say I have already drove out with the car plugged in twice lol. No damage as I have set it up to come out easy if I forget, but still....gotta get used to it being plugged in haha

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daso For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-18-2019)

It's snow snake season.

Attachment 15995
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daso (11-18-2019),Eggman (11-18-2019),MetroMPG (11-25-2019),poorman1 (11-18-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    There are two of the other brand heaters waiting for me across the border at the parcel place. Hopefully Wednesday there will be time to pick them up. Also hopefully it will be like today, above freezing so installation will be pleasant.

I'm going to attach my car side electrical cord so that it can easily pull out from the cartridge. It does plug in the cartridge, right? If not I'll tie it to a frame member so securely my house will come along for the ride if I pull away without unplugging.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-18-2019)

Yeah the cord just plugs into the heater. The instructions that come with the mitsubishi brand heater show to run the cord up along the alternator wiring harness, then following the harness around the back of the battery. After that I forget what they say but I just run it from there to the drivers headlight and zip tie it to the hood release cable. Then slide the cord between the inside of the headlight and bumper. I've forgotten to unplug a car or two and it pulled the cord from the wall.

When I plug in my own junk I usually try to use a bright cord and wrap it around the drivers mirror or across the windshield so I don't forget. That still isn't 100% idiot proof though, especially when hungover.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah the cord just plugs into the heater. The instructions that come with the mitsubishi brand heater show to run the cord up along the alternator wiring harness, then following the harness around the back of the battery. After that I forget what they say but I just run it from there to the drivers headlight and zip tie it to the hood release cable. Then slide the cord between the inside of the headlight and bumper. I've forgotten to unplug a car or two and it pulled the cord from the wall.

When I plug in my own junk I usually try to use a bright cord and wrap it around the drivers mirror or across the windshield so I don't forget. That still isn't 100% idiot proof though, especially when hungover.
    I set something like my recycling bin in front of the driver's door. It reminds me to unplug.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I like the mirror approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I set something like my recycling bin in front of the driver's door. It reminds me to unplug.
    That works too unless it's windy. My bins always blow away.

I do have an extension that is lit up fairly bright at the car end. Between the mirror loop, an object and the lit cord it will take a determined effort on my part to screw it up. LOL

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Success!!!! I didnt drive away plugged in this morning lol. Didnt need to be plugged in as it was mild again (0c)...but damn hitting 4.7l so quickly again this morning was insane.

You're doing better than me. I'm not sure why I'm admitting this but just yesterday afternoon I backed a car out of its spot to find 2 bright blue snow snakes following me......Note to self, extension cords with with just a single outlet pull apart easier than the ones with 3 and cause less damage to the prongs when they are forced out.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You're doing better than me. I'm not sure why I'm admitting this but just yesterday afternoon I backed a car out of its spot to find 2 bright blue snow snakes following me......Note to self, extension cords with with just a single outlet pull apart easier than the ones with 3 and cause less damage to the prongs when they are forced out.
    Good point, it would pull apart nearly damage free. A brightly lit single outlet cord seems to be the best choice. I'll poke around Home Depot later this week maybe.