Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Heater Installation (OEM cartridge style 400w)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I have no timer and thus avoid the expense, added complication and energy drain. I simply plug my engine block heater in the morning about 90 minutes before going in to work and of course, unplug before taking off. This typically raises the coolant temperature about 40℉ - 50℉ above ambient conditions. Any further time spent using the heater doesn't produce much more heat and in my experience, is a waste of money and energy resources.
    That's why I plan on using a cheap $6 electrical outlet timer. It can turn on 1.5 to 2 hours before I leave for work. I'm not much of a morning person. I get up, & I am out the door within 30 minutes or less.

It is good to know an hour or two is plenty, & anything beyond that is a waste! Thanks for sharing that!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    http://thepowerbadger.com/

The device senses the outside temperature and turns on your engine block heater accordingly.
    That's pretty cool! Maybe overkill for a Mirage...but still a neat device.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's pretty cool! Maybe overkill for a Mirage...but still a neat device.
    I had the same reaction. Pretty cool technology, but probably overkill. The fact that the literature came with a cheap 3-prong cap was interesting.

I sort of like simple, & a simple manual push pin electrical timer will do the job for a lot less.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey Mark - now that you have an engine block heater, are you using a grill block too? They go great together.

Also, don't forget the engine block heater provides benefits year round. They're not just for cold weather.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Mark - now that you have an engine block heater, are you using a grill block too? They go great together.

Also, don't forget the engine block heater provides benefits year round. They're not just for cold weather.
    I have never added an engine heater to any of my vehicles before, even though I grew up using them on diesel tractors as a kid. My first car was a 1978 Honda Civic Wagon, & that car still had a hand choke button on the dash. Thus, I go back in time some.

Given the low cost & simplicity of adding an engine block heater, I am giving it a try with the Mirage. I'm sure it will be beneficial.

I haven't tried a grill block, & that is a good suggestion, too! My only reservation is the lack of a temperature gauge on newer vehicles. Both my Subaru Forester & Mirage lack a engine temperature gauge, & I really don't care for that. The outside temperature can really fluctuate some days in Wisconsin.

On extremely cold days, I have no doubt an engine block heater will help greatly. It's a good suggestion, & it is something that I have considered. I do believe small efficient engines would benefit from a little help when it's really cold.

It's warmed up today. It's only got down to about -13 degrees F last night. I plugged in my engine block heater for the first time an hour ago, and I am going to start the car in about an hour from now. I am looking forward to it. It's a pleasant -1F at the moment!

I may explore rigging up some type of engine grill block. It surely wouldn't hurt anything with the recent cold spell.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-27-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark I'm sure you'll love the block heater..
    my schedule varies day to day so I went with a programmable timer.. like 13$ shipped to me.
    another thing that helps me is a illuminated plug extension cord. Rated to -40.. that was like Name:  IMG_0900.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  84.6 KBName:  IMG_0901.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  95.3 KB$8
    makes it easier to notice the car is plugged in early in the morning.
    Coat your plug with some of the dielectric grease to prevent corrosion and freezing..
    I just use the cheep plastic plug cover to protect the car end of mine..
    hope some of this helps..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    Mark I'm sure you'll love the block heater..
    my schedule varies day to day so I went with a programmable timer.. like 13$ shipped to me.
    another thing that helps me is a illuminated plug extension cord. Rated to -40.. that was like $8
    makes it easier to notice the car is plugged in early in the morning.
    Coat your plug with some of the dielectric grease to prevent corrosion and freezing..
    I just use the cheep plastic plug cover to protect the car end of mine..
    hope some of this helps..
    I appreciate your suggestions very much! I bought the plug cover for the car cord as you mentioned. Didn't think of using the dielectric grease for the plug, but I like the though of that. Any tube you buy of the stuff is way more than you need to do the job. Thus, I like the thought of another use for it!

Not having used an engine block heater on any other vehicles & knowing how my brain works, I may need more than an illuminated extension cord. That is a good suggestion, however. I already decided that I am placing something in front of the driver's door to remind me that the car is plugged in. I am good about not being late to things, but guilty of not giving myself a lot of extra time. If I don't do something to remind me, I can predict the future on that one.

Overall, a Mirage turns over quite easily. I really noticed that the other day. After driving to school, I started my 2015 Chevy Impala (V6 with 5W-30 oil) @ -15F. It took a lot more to turn that car over than the Mirage (small engine with thin 0W-20 oil). The Impala almost didn't start, but it may still have the factory battery. My experience is that factory batteries don't always last much longer than 4-5 years, & a good replacement battery will surely out do them. My driving school owns the Impala. It may be time for the battery to be replaced. Regardless, the Impala turns over much harder than a little Mirage.

It was only -14F last night. I plugged in the heater for the first time (about 2 hours) & started my car mid-morning (around -1F at the time). I think I heard my Mirage say to me - "Thank you Mark" as it started up!

I pretty much know when my dash light will kick out going down the road, & it definitely kicked out sooner today. Thus, I am know the heater is doing it's thing. I could tell a difference inside the car, too. As a matter of fact, I was about 10 miles down the road before I realized that I hadn't cranked the heat all the way up. I typically wait until the dash light goes out before cranking it all way up, & today I forgot. That's because I was perfectly comfortable inside and all the glass was perfectly clear.

It's been about 24 hours since I have installed thing, & I already know that I like it!!! Lows of -26F for Tuesday & -30F for Wednesday are in the forecast for this week. My little Mirage is going to be thankful, too!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Like some of you good people, I, too, am forgetful. Right after I plug in my block heater, I drape the orange extension cord over the driver’s door side view mirror. When I come back to the car and see it there, I think “What’s that doin there.......oh yeah. Thank you earlier me.”

Gotta protect myself from myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was afraid of not remembering to unplug my car also. I placed the nose cone off a semi trailer to run my extensions cord out of. So the cord exits the garage about 2.5 to 3 feet up. Makes it easy to see and easy to feed back into the garage.
    I purchased a magnetic plug that could probably be used in a garage but says not for outside use..
    Same principle as a deep fryer cord.
    Haven't really felt the need use it and my car is outside.
    Name:  IMG_0903.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  89.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0902.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  79.4 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I appreciate your suggestions very much! I bought the plug cover for the car cord as you mentioned. Didn't think of using the dielectric grease for the plug, but I like the though of that. Any tube you buy of the stuff is way more than you need to do the job. Thus, I like the thought of another use for it!

Not having used an engine block heater on any other vehicles & knowing how my brain works, I may need more than an illuminated extension cord. That is a good suggestion, however. I already decided that I am placing something in front of the driver's door to remind me that the car is plugged in. I am good about not being late to things, but guilty of not giving myself a lot of extra time. If I don't do something to remind me, I can predict the future on that one.

Overall, a Mirage turns over quite easily. I really noticed that the other day. After driving to school, I started my 2015 Chevy Impala (V6 with 5W-30 oil) @ -15F. It took a lot more to turn that car over than the Mirage (small engine with thin 0W-20 oil). The Impala almost didn't start, but it may still have the factory battery. My experience is that factory batteries don't always last much longer than 4-5 years, & a good replacement battery will surely out do them. My driving school owns the Impala. It may be time for the battery to be replaced. Regardless, the Impala turns over much harder than a little Mirage.

It was only -14F last night. I plugged in the heater for the first time (about 2 hours) & started my car mid-morning (around -1F at the time). I think I heard my Mirage say to me - "Thank you Mark" as it started up!

I pretty much know when my dash light will kick out going down the road, & it definitely kicked out sooner today. Thus, I am know the heater is doing it's thing. I could tell a difference inside the car, too. As a matter of fact, I was about 10 miles down the road before I realized that I hadn't cranked the heat all the way up. I typically wait until the dash light goes out before cranking it all way up, & today I forgot. That's because I was perfectly comfortable inside and all the glass was perfectly clear.

It's been about 24 hours since I have installed thing, & I already know that I like it!!! Lows of -26F for Tuesday & -30F for Wednesday are in the forecast for this week. My little Mirage is going to be thankful, too!!!
    Yeah MN is going to be a nightmare mid week but 36 above on Sat. Crazy!