Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Engine Block Heater Installation (OEM cartridge style 400w)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I understand you're not picking on me.

The Veespeak has indeed made my Mirage go odd a handul of times in the 3 years it's been plugged in, at first, my 2014, and it's been in my 2017 since. What happens each time is the lights for stability, traction control and ABS come on and there is a noticeable reduction in power, maybe......10-15 percent, but not much more.

The first time it happened was on the highway so I left the highway at the first chance. It was winter so I stopped the car but didn't turn it off. I called my dealer and they had never heard of this issue and they advised me to keep driving and monitor things until the car came in for service in two weeks. After I hung up I decided to go inside the mall and get lunch. I turned off my car. I missed the 30 second courtesy timer to raise my window so I started the car, Everything was back to normal. In the last few years it's done the same thing maybe, 4-5 times, maybe just 3.

I do have a splitter with on/off rocker switches and a Scan Gauge on the , so those devices have added reactance to the circuit. I'm very happy with the setup and the minor issue as explained is no big deal. Oh boy, I think I need a

tl;dr

cheap veespeak has glitched a few times over the years without creating a hazard. :
    Every now and then we get an owner sign up and post about the symptoms you just described thinking their Mirage is a piece of junk, not connecting that their cheap OBD-II device is causing their problems and the Mirage is just fine (if only they'd leave well enough alone!)

Ugh - this should be in a thread of it's own...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Every now and then we get an owner sign up and post about the symptoms you just described thinking their Mirage is a piece of junk, not connecting that their cheap OBD-II device is causing their problems and the Mirage is just fine (if only they'd leave well enough alone!)

Ugh - this should be in a thread of it's own...
    Yep, new thread for this, it's interesting.

But cars are computers these days. If something goes wrong you reboot your computer. For a car, turn it off, back on, and it's been partially rebooted. All BT dongles should come with those basic instructions.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Thanks! (block heater-ectomy)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hopefully having this info in one spot will help someone else down the road.
    I am adding my thanks to this thread yet again.

Name:  block-heater.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  38.3 KB

I just referred to it, and it made the removal of the OEM cartridge block heater from Mirage #2 MUCH easier than it would have been otherwise. (I'm moving it over to Mirage #3.)

You were certainly right about mostly working blind. Although after I put the front of the car up on jack stands I was able to see a bit more from below to make sure I wasn't breaking anything.

In the end, the heater popped out without much drama. Nice, considering it's probably been in there for 6 or 7 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-08-2021)

5 minutes

Annnnnd.... the heater is now installed in Mirage #3.

5 minutes
    is how long it takes to install this style of block heater if you're familiar with the lay of the land.

After the various different styles of heaters I've put in various cars through the years, it's amazing that it's so easy to do and requires no tools, or draining & adding any coolant.

Too bad it's not a bit more powerful.

I'm thinking of adding a magnetic oil pan heater for the extra wattage. Also easy! They're typically 200-300w.

Another couple hundred watts on the bottom of the transaxle -- silicone pad style heater -- would be the icing on the cake. (Under the cake??)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Annnnnd.... the heater is now installed in Mirage #3.

5 minutes
    is how long it takes to install this style of block heater if you're familiar with the lay of the land.
    I remember when I bought the Pumpkin, the sales person asked "Do you want a block Heater??". I said "Of Course". He said "$250.00 installed". I said "Your on Crack". (maybe not exactly that, but it sounds good) As Metro above, $45.00 & literally 5 minuets later, you have a block heater!!! Takes longer to run the cord!!!
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Mark (07-13-2021),MetroMPG (07-13-2021)

$250! Talk about profit margin!

EDIT: klroger - did you know at thetime that it was a simple cartridge installation?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    $250! Talk about profit margin!

EDIT: klroger - did you know at thetime that it was a simple cartridge installation?
    Yes I did thanks to this site. I had studied the DIY that was posted here before I bought the car. Thanks to whoever made that post.

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-13-2021)