Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Winter Driving Review

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    First winter with my 2019 Mirage 5 speed ES and It does really well in the snow. Went through a foot last night into a driveway with the traction control turned off. Its not a Jeep but it is pretty predictable in the snow. It does have limitations of course but it is also no slouch on the roads. Its mostly because of good distribution of weight and thin tires.
    Maybe not a Jeep Wrangler with winter tires, but my Mirage with Blizaks climbed a steep, snowy grade better than a Grand Cherokee with all season tires. And it will stop a lot faster in snow too. For most situations, AWD isn't necessary.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-11-2019),poorman1 (03-12-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I miss my Wrangler on those snowy winter days. We have a 2017 Forester XT. Heck, I even miss my Golf R. The Mirage is no comparison in the white stuff. JMO after driving a part-time 4x4 and two versions of AWD vehicles.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Maybe not a Jeep Wrangler with winter tires, but my Mirage with Blizaks climbed a steep, snowy grade better than a Grand Cherokee with all season tires. And it will stop a lot faster in snow too. For most situations, AWD isn't necessary.
    I climb winter ridge roads almost every day. When I leave my driveway, I am instantly climbing a small hill. As a reference, I don't get beyond 1st gear until I am near the top with my Mirage.

My Mirage with snow tires does not compare to AWD Subaru Forester with snow tires. I wouldn't even say it's close. Having said that, the Mirage isn't terrible in the snow, & tires do make a different. The factory Bridgestone tires on my Subaru were some of the worst tires I have ever had on snow/ice. Add better tires, and it became a totally different machine in snow.

I would not live where I live without AWD in the winter, & I like my little corner of the Driftless region of the world!