Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration while accelerating caused by ice?

Vibration while accelerating caused by ice?

I just had a 17' Mirage come in complaining about an intermitent vibration/noise. While under hard acceleration it has a pretty noticeable drive line vibration. I had a 15' with similar symptoms earlier last year which was cause by the exhuast hitting the subframe, it was just a rubber exhaust hanger popped off. This time I think its caused by ice being packed around the transmission and subframe. All the wheels are pretty packed with snow and ice as well which is pretty typical for these cars though. At least the ones that see a lot of gravel roads.
    I'm gonna thaw the thing out over night and see if that fixes it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a weird noise that runs from my motor down my exhaust. When I put tension on the tail end of the exhaust, noise goes away.
    Think something wasn't clamped tight?
    Mine is a 17 ES with 575 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by BostonJellyBean View Post
    I have a weird noise that runs from my motor down my exhaust. When I put tension on the tail end of the exhaust, noise goes away.
    Think something wasn't clamped tight?
    Mine is a 17 ES with 575 miles.
    There is a rubber exhaust hanger that hangs down that could be snagged and come unhooked and may cause what you are describing. I'll try to get a pickAttachment 8064 or maybe the bolts that hold your cat to the exhaust manifold are loose?
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-12-2017 at 10:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That ice will cause vibration on any vehicle. It should be fine after thawed out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There is a rubber exhaust hanger that hangs down that could be snagged and come unhooked and may cause what you are describing. I'll try to get a pickAttachment 8064 or maybe the bolts that hold your cat to the exhaust manifold are loose?
    I thought it was the motor at first . it has this high pitch whine to it....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just had a 17' Mirage come in complaining about an intermitent vibration/noise. While under hard acceleration it has a pretty noticeable drive line vibration. I had a 15' with similar symptoms earlier last year which was cause by the exhuast hitting the subframe, it was just a rubber exhaust hanger popped off. This time I think its caused by ice being packed around the transmission and subframe. All the wheels are pretty packed with snow and ice as well which is pretty typical for these cars though. At least the ones that see a lot of gravel roads.
    I'm gonna thaw the thing out over night and see if that fixes it.
    That's wild. I would have thought the plastic trays under the motor would prevent this ice buildup.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

This is the first time I've seen ice built up around the axles and transmission. That car sees a lot of backroads that must have some good sized snow drifts? I took it for a drive this morning and it's fine now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Haha, yeah that is a ton of snow and ice in there! I've been through my fair share of snow and never seen anything like that. I have had to stop and dig the snow out of my wheels before because it unbalances them.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

2of9 (01-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Was just going to say what DaoX said; remove the snow on the inside of the wheels. Even if it's a bit of snow/ice that's stuck on the inside, it will immediately effect the balance of the wheels and you will feel vibration. I used to work at a tire shop and I've seen some crazy places where snow can go to. It can go anywhere, haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

It wasn't snow in the wheels causing the vibration that I felt. You could feel it as soon as you started moving from a stand still, It varied as you were on the throttle, it was like there was no dampening from the engine. I didn't take it on the highway but I'm sure it had a good shake from the snow in the wheels at high speeds too.
    It's not the cars fault but I notice more stuff packed in the rear wheels in the Mirage than I did on the turd pail Spark we used to have. Can't avoid that though. Maybe I'll build some scrapers to keep the rear wheels free of buildup but I'm worried someone would manage to bend them and cause more harm than good.