Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Is the CVT really more efficient than the manual transmission?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hard core 3-second freeway drafter here.

70 mph = 102.667 ft/sec
    1 Mirage car length = 12.45 ft

7 car length gap = 87.15 ft = 0.85 sec
    10 car length gap = 124.5 ft = 1.21 sec
    24.74 car length gap = 308 ft = 3.0 sec

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    You could kill yourself, but to each his own I guess.

When I was younger and didn't know any better, I would drive behind 18 wheelers at what I thought was a safe distance. I would get no closer than 2 or 3 car distances from an 18 wheeler on the interstate at 70 mph.

One day, I found myself driving behind a truck that had a tire failure. The tread on one of his rear tires, separated from the rest of the tire and became air-born, resulting in it becoming a projectile. I was too close to dodge the huge piece of tire, and it ended up destroying the front end of the car I was in. Had it gone through the windshield, I would be a dead man today.

I now keep a very safe distance behind all vehicles, especially 18 wheelers. My general rule is to stay at least one car distance behind a vehicle for every 10 mph I am going. So these days, I stay at least 7 car distances behind 18 wheelers on the interstate. In actual practice, I try to stay a lot farther back than that.

My life is worth more than saving a few dollars on gas.
    I respect your opinion and I see the logic in your conclusion. It is a choice we all need to make for ourself. A balance of risk and reward. Rather than calculating car lengths I use the 3 second rule because it is the most accurate and it takes into account differences in speed. @Loren posted a blurb about it on his website I wish I could find the link

Different drivers have a different level of experience and depending on our age we also need to acknowledge that as we get older we lose our fast reaction times so we must stay mindful of that as well.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I brake for tailgaters.
    I approve this message.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    as we get older we lose our fast reaction times so we must stay mindful of that as well.
    I'm an old fart. I can't even chew gum and drive at the same time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (08-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, once you see a tire de-laminate on a highway you learn to back off.

I still get 42-44 going 75-80 down the interstate...

I can't say it's worth complaining about.

However, that has gone down some now that I have working Cruise. Cruise is great but anyone who sees fuel savings from it is a horrible driver. Cruise only has a 1-2 MPH margin of error, and will floor it when unnecessary. In those cases I'll use momentum of the vehicle and normally make it up the hill only loosing maybe 4-6 MPH while seeing a substantial savings in fuel.

I always felt cruise was more of a luxury feature.

But I'm getting off topic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tytotheler92 View Post
    Yes, once you see a tire de-laminate on a highway you learn to back off.

I used to drive like these young whipper snappers. When I was 16, I spun a car twice on the interstate and amazingly landed perfectly on the shoulder without a scratch. During both spins, I could see the car that was behind me through my front windshield. I was very shaken and realized how fortunate I was.

This was the result of driving 70 mph during heavy rain with about three feet of visibility in front of me. I was originally doing 90 mph, but when the road conditions got bad, I decided to slow down and drive the speed limit. Evidently, cars can hydroplane at 70 mph. Imagine that. I suddenly remembered what the drivers education people said about hydroplaning and 35 mph.

Since then, I've learned to drive slower during heavy rain, sometimes as slow as 20 or 30 mph even on the interstate depending on conditions.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If I leave more than a half second gap I get cut off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    What's wrong with that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Then you slow down to leave more gap, and it gets filled, so you slow down more, and it gets filled.

Better to do the rate of traffic and scan well ahead than to be an obstacle with people swerving around you.

Luckily I dont commute in the city anymore. I have empty mountain highways to myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    same here. I live on the opposite side of town from the road to Squamish but it's no better.

2014 White SE with CVT