Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Check engine light P0498 (Evap wiring issue & soluton -- check yours)

And another car threw a p0498. 1 wire was broken behind the plastic loom below the back bumper. 2017 with 158k kms.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-30-2019)

And I have another 2017 with the same P0498. Wiring at the rear of the car looks good. One wire(white) has voltage with the key on at least so I assume the solenoid is triggered by a switched ground(brown wire). I'm wondering if the wiring for this is in on of the problem child kick panel connectors? But that's not as common a problem in the 2017's.

Off to find a wiring schematic. And trace this stupid wire up to the front of the car. This car has been throwing the same code for months now and I figured I'll try to fix it while the driver is on holidays.

And....it looks like that brown wires turns to brown/wht at connector c-118. Then goes to the ecu at pin 71. Now to figure out where the hell c-118 is. I don't have that info. I'll just guess.
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-27-2022 at 05:15 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

And another update....
    When I pulled the kick panel off I discovered I've been in there before and wrapped the harness with duct tape. It looked fancy.
    I have no idea which connector has that vent valve wire. There are a few with brown and brown/wht wires in the connectors. I started unwrapping the electrical tape where I soldered a bunch of wires together and wrapped them up. I found some green powder and a red wire that was still oem(not soldered) was ready to break and hanging on by a thread. It pulled apart easily. I'm glad I found that! The car wouldn't start once that wire was completely broken....
    I ended up unplugging all the connectors at the kick panel and hooked power to the ground/trigger wire at the back of the car using a car battery that I grounded to the trunk catch. I tried finding power at a brown and brown/wht wire at the kick panel and came of with nothing. There are a few brown wires that go under the drivers seat. Next step is to tear the seat out and check out there. I know there are a few bus bar style connector caps that just connect wires at the end of the connector (for some weird reason). I had a car have one of them rust out and short out once.

Will post back later with what I find. Probably.
    Mirage videos:

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-28-2022),MetroMPG (07-27-2022)

It's like hunting for easter eggs! But less fun and no chocolate!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-27-2022)

I'm pretty sure I found some chocolate in there. Some of these cars are pretty nasty inside. Beef jerky, nail clippings, boogers......

Everything looked fine under the seat though. So back to the rear of the car....I looked way up where the harness goes through a grommet into the hatch area behind the bumper and found the a tiny bit of green...Poked it with the screwmadriver and found a broken purple wire(license plate light?) and what looks like a broken brown wire.

So I tore a bunch of the car apart searching in the wrong spot. The harness typically breaks down low where it's exposed. First time for everything I guess.

I'm just glad I found that one wire(Up behind the kick panel) ready to break that would have left the thing stranded who knows where. So I'll get that soldered up, tape up all the wires that I probed under the door sill plate. I'll have to remove the rear bumper cover to repair or replace the rear wiring harness as there's just no access otherwise.
    Mirage videos:

Mirage videos:

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-27-2022),MetroMPG (07-28-2022),mohammad (07-30-2022)

YIKES.

Given how (relatively) rusty my current Mirage is, I should inspect a few wires/connectors. I haven't even looked behind the kick panel yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)